Tourny and age?

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I just turned 35 this year. I'm going to a tournament in 2 weeks. Planning on doing the 18+ colored belt class. But I was wondering if I should do the 35+ class as well. I could do this for sparring, weapons, and forms. I'm seeing it as more chances to compete.
What do you all think?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stay in the bracket specifically designed for your age group. No double dipping allowed!
If I were eligible to compete, I would be in the Seniors Division, and I'm only 35!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you would be eligible for the 18 group, being 35. You just made the other group. Competition is rough either way but usually there aren't as many in the older group. More events are better than just standing around watching and it is good practice if you are prepared for it--especially weapons. Have a good tourney... TW

T

Tkang_TKD

I hate the idea that tourneys don't tend to have a lot of competition over age 30 :( There are a lot of tourneys here in SoCal that I would love to enter, but in most cases it seems that I'd be losing my money, and not get to fight. I'd rather fight and lose in the first round than not fight at all...

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, in a circuit I frequent there is a rule that you may step down in age groups, up in weight or rank groups in order to get into a more competitive division. I don't see a problem with it really.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This, like most tournaments say 18+, and 35+ NOT 18-34, 35-42.

Double dipping is allowed in this case. Go for it, get all the experience you can, but you will pay the extra fees for the extra divisiions.

Self defense is a demonstration of self-defense techniques. Different tournaments have different rules for these divisions, but for you as a kenpoist, this is right up your alley. You will need a crash dummy though, a good crash dummy is vital to winning in SD.

Good luck, have fun, I always liked attending tournaments in Portland, it has a great martial arts scene.

Lamont

T

Tkang_TKD

Han-Mi said:
Well, in a circuit I frequent there is a rule that you may step down in age groups, up in weight or rank groups in order to get into a more competitive division. I don't see a problem with it really.
I take it that this is not under WTF/Olympic style? Most of the events around here follow that format, and I wind up in either a 33-42 bracket, or a 34+ bracket.

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Self defense is a demonstration of self-defense techniques. Different tournaments have different rules for these divisions, but for you as a kenpoist, this is right up your alley. You will need a crash dummy though, a good crash dummy is vital to winning in SD.

Lamont
So you just demo a couple tech on a classmate? Wonder if you could just run a line and have the first guy throw a right punch, sec throw a kick, 3rd guy through a kick punch comb. That would be cool.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stay in your division. They break them up so they can make the matches more even.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yea...stay in your divsion....

They don't want them yungunz getting whooped by any old timers!

:p

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Stay in your division. They break them up so they can make the matches more even.

Boy, someone better tell my instructor that, since he enters the 18+, 35+, and 42+ divisions.... and regularly wins them all.

Lamont

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Boy, someone better tell my instructor that, since he enters the 18+, 35+, and 42+ divisions.... and regularly wins them all.

Lamont
We are talking about beginners not season veterans here, so please keep that in mind Thanks Terry!!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
But he isn't going out of his division, 18+ includes 35 year olds. How is placing a 20 year old yellow belt against a 35 year old yellow belt making the competition uneven?

If he is trying to fight down there with the 14 year olds I get your point. :)

Lamont

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
But he isn't going out of his division, 18+ includes 35 year olds. How is placing a 20 year old yellow belt against a 35 year old yellow belt making the competition uneven?

If he is trying to fight down there with the 14 year olds I get your point. :)

Lamont
Because a 20yr old is more durable than a person 35 so the experts said not me, body can only take so much pain before breaking down, the younger you are the faster you heal normally.. That said if he wishes to fight yoinger guys and the tournament director has no problem with him doing that then by all means go get em and remember to kick harder and faster than your opponate....

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
go where they tell you everything will work out... play by there standards

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tkang_TKD said:
I take it that this is not under WTF/Olympic style? Most of the events around here follow that format, and I wind up in either a 33-42 bracket, or a 34+ bracket.
You guess correctly. I don't participate in Olympic style. I tried it a couple times and I kept getting in trouble for punching.

RANT: WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? THEY ARE JUST STANDING THERE WITH THIR HANDS DOWN AT THEIR LEGS! THEY DESERVE TO GET HIT IN THE HEAD!

As far as sparring goes, I prefer freestyle and hard to full contact fighting in which you are allowed to use both your feet and hands and possibly grappeling.

Not that this has anything to do with the topic, just replying to the question.

S

Shurikan

You should just do however many events you feel like doing that you qualify to enter. If they state 18+ then the tournament promoter is allowing anyone 18+ to enter, not that they are encouraging you to do both but they are certianly giveing you the oppurtunity to.

Latest Discussions