Tournaments

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the grappling community is very heavy on competing. I'm going in for my first submission grappling tournament and I was wondering: what do you all do to prepare for a tournament?

In the past few months, I've increased my cardio and interval training, and even started checking out conditioning classes at other gyms. I've also found myself paying a lot more attention to the finer points while training technique, and relaxing a lot more on the mat.

My diet's changed, and I've toned down the partying.

Before anything competitive, I get anxious, so I plan on swimming laps to tire me out enough to get some sleep the night before the competition.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
relax, have fun, & don't worry. bring food to the tournament, because you'll be there for hours. think positive.

let us know how it goes!

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know the grappling community is very heavy on competing. I'm going in for my first submission grappling tournament and I was wondering: what do you all do to prepare for a tournament?

In the past few months, I've increased my cardio and interval training, and even started checking out conditioning classes at other gyms. I've also found myself paying a lot more attention to the finer points while training technique, and relaxing a lot more on the mat.

My diet's changed, and I've toned down the partying.

Before anything competitive, I get anxious, so I plan on swimming laps to tire me out enough to get some sleep the night before the competition.
How long until the tournament?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, is the one in KC on the 28th? if so i'll be reffing. i like chocolate donuts 2% milk. i can't emphasize that enough. 2%.

jf

OP
N

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's the Sasquatch Open on April 4.

What's the competition called in KC?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's the Sasquatch Open on April 4.

What's the competition called in KC?

I'd ramp up the cardio. You'll never be as tired as when you're competing. 1 minute will seem like 5.

Have some video tape it. You'll learn more from watching yourself compete than at 2 months of class

Put together a game plan. Don't get fancy, but put together a plan for every position. I can give you some example of what this might look like if you want. At it's simplest, it's a table with each position and what you will do if you find yourself there preferably in a logical order. Guard bottom: x-collar choke, scissor sweep, armbar, flower sweep. Guard top: toreano pass, etc.

Of course, have fun.

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've only had one tourny myself...so listen to those other guys!

I will say this, don't have high expectations...go there to learn and have fun. I would make sure someone from your school (upper belt) is there to cheer you on and coach you, it will help you relax a bit.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Latest Discussions