Damian Maia

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, seriously. I just watched UFC 95 yesterday... had it on TiVo. Oh man... that guy is crazy good. For once, I don't think that the commentary was hyperbole. Maia's grappling is truly on a completely different plane than anyone else's right now. He's so friggin' good.

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned it yet.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I completely agree. He is on another planet with his BJJ.
Time to give the man a title shot.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly believe Demain Maia is one of the greatest Martial artists on the planet right now.
Not just in skill but he is a great person as well. I've spoken to him briefly and the guy is a class act.
The thing about his Jiujitsu that I really admire is his approach which is specifically geared towards MMA and dealing with strikes as well, as opposed to a strictly sport BJJ approach.
You'll notice though that he's never done anything phenomenal in sport JJ, he's definitely more MMA oriented, but again an underated fighter who's one of the best.
I defy anyone who criticises MMA to look at this fighter as a great example that he sets.
Also I agree he deserves a title shot!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

• 2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion
  • 2007 Super Challenge under-83kgs Champion
  • 2006 Pan American Champion
  • 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Runner-Up
  • Three-time World Cup champion
  • Two-time World Champion
  • Brazilian champion
  • 7x state champion
  • 4x Brazilian team champion
I'm pretty impressed. I'd say he did pretty well in "sport" BJJ. :)

I'm officially on the Maia train. I have a man-crush and am not afraid to admit it.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you notice in his post-victory talk that he stated he wanted to show that people can win without damaging their opponent? I thought that was classy.
His set-up, then roll(let Chael sweep) to triangle was beautiful.

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Did you notice in his post-victory talk that he stated he wanted to show that people can win without damaging their opponent? I thought that was classy.
His set-up, then roll(let Chael sweep) to triangle was beautiful.

I had literally learned that technique in a class like 3 days before that fight, i almost came out of my seat when he hit that. I am also jumping on that band wagon!

Latest Discussions