Top 5 Dark Beers

I went to a Christmas party last month at a rather nice establishment and I ordered a Guinness and the bartender sat it on the bar.... Now I only get to drink a beer these days about once or twice a year so I was pretty happy they had a dark beer, since a year before they had none. But back to this last time…. I took a sip and it was COLD:cuss: I called him back and asked him why on earth he would take a perfectly good beer and ruin it by refrigerating it. He looked at me like I was crazy and walked away. Luckily we had a bit of a wait so it had time to warm up before I drank it. You will still find an awful lot of people in the US drinking their beer cold. But then I don't even drink cold water anymore so maybe it's me.
A lot of places have all their draft lines run to a single cooler where they store the kegs, whether CO2 or NO2.

Hard to find, but worth the effort in finding it...

Spaten Optimator

Hard to find, but worth the effort in finding it...

Spaten Optimator

You beat me to it. I would suggest that one in a heart beat. Impossible to find out here in Hawaii.

Actually, anything from Spaten is great.

Paulaner Double Bock is also VERY good. My favorite beers are Bocks.

In Minnesota/Wisconsin, you can drown in good beer. There are so many breweries it's hard to decide. In the Twin Ports, where I used to live, we have three hand crafted microbrews. All of their beers were to die for.

I miss that beer.

In Minnesota/Wisconsin, you can drown in good beer. There are so many breweries it's hard to decide. In the Twin Ports, where I used to live, we have three hand crafted microbrews. All of their beers were to die for.

I miss that beer.

Ahh but you traded it all just to taunt us about Hawaii and surfing :D

5. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

4. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

3. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

2. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

1. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

Ahh but you traded it all just to taunt us about Hawaii and surfing :D

Ah well, it certainly makes it easier to keep the pounds from piling up.

Anyway, no surfing today. It's too windy and the waves are super massive. I'd get smashed to smithereens in that surf.

What's interesting is that not many people drink crappy American beer here. Most people will go out and get a twelve pack of Stella Artois, Heineken, or Steinlager. Hawaii's a step above on the mainland when it comes to overall taste.

Kona Brewing Company over on the Big Island makes their Pipeline Porter. It's a pretty good beer for Hawaiian standards.

5. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

4. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

3. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

2. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

1. Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter
Yeah, but can you say it 5 times *fast*? :lol:

and as for Sam Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale... better pass over that one in silence. :waah:

Nothing wrong with the Sam Smith's over here, but I live quite close to the brewery, so it doesn't have to travel far to my usual watering-holes, so I think it must be down to the fact that it doesn't like the travel.

I used to love Ward's bitter, but as the company that ended up owning it went bust it's sadly no more... :( The old Ward's brewery near me in Sheffield has been turned into some ghastly, over-priced, trendy, "we're-so-hip-it's-painful" apartments but the majority of the folk round here do have more sense than money and not the other way around so most of them are still empty.

Some of my favourite ales are locally brewed where I live.

http://www.kelhambrewery.co.uk/ - make Kelham Island Pale Rider, my current favourite pint.

http://www.acorn-brewery.co.uk/ - make Barnsley Bitter, which is pretty famous. I prefer their bottled ale though, as the draught sometimes has a funny aftertaste.

http://www.bradfieldbrewery.com/ - they make a special edition Sheffield Steelers ale, for my local ice hockey team. I have a crate of it in the cellar at the moment as I won it last week as part of a Steelers season ticket holders prize draw! :D

Nothing wrong with the Sam Smith's over here, but I live quite close to the brewery, so it doesn't have to travel far to my usual watering-holes, so I think it must be down to the fact that it doesn't like the travel.

Yeah, as I say, I've had it in the UK—in Yorkshire, in fact, though not in Tadcaster itself—and it was lovely. I usually like a bit more hoppy beer than SSOBPA, but when it's in good condition it more than makes up for the relative lack of hop zing. I agree that it must be the travel that does it in the case of the export bottles—they warehouse the poor old things for months at a time, I suspect. With Meantime and some of the other newer exports from the UK, like Otter Head and Hoppy Otter, the turnaround time on the shipping is probably much less, because I've never had a stale bottle of either.

I used to love Ward's bitter, but as the company that ended up owning it went bust it's sadly no more... :( The old Ward's brewery near me in Sheffield has been turned into some ghastly, over-priced, trendy, "we're-so-hip-it's-painful" apartments but the majority of the folk round here do have more sense than money and not the other way around so most of them are still empty.

I always have found people in the North to have their heads screwed on the right way—the problem isn't going to be the locals, though, but the derivatives traders from the City buying little pieds-a-terre in the oh-so-quaint countryside to pop into their Astons and Maseratis and go visit a couple of times a year... hmmm, now I think of it, the economic conditions aren't exactly favorable to that sort of I-have-so-much-£££-I'll-never-be-able-to-spend-it-all!! kind of flash. Maybe those places will stay empty...

Some of my favourite ales are locally brewed where I live.

http://www.kelhambrewery.co.uk/ - make Kelham Island Pale Rider, my current favourite pint.

http://www.acorn-brewery.co.uk/ - make Barnsley Bitter, which is pretty famous. I prefer their bottled ale though, as the draught sometimes has a funny aftertaste.

http://www.bradfieldbrewery.com/ - they make a special edition Sheffield Steelers ale, for my local ice hockey team. I have a crate of it in the cellar at the moment as I won it last week as part of a Steelers season ticket holders prize draw! :D

I'm going to be back in the UK for several months in late summer and autumn this year, near Colchester, but Yorkshire is one of our very favorite parts of the country and we try to spend a bit of time there whenever we can (Helmsley is a particularly excellent place to stay, we've found), and I'm making up a must-try beer list for this next trip—so I appreciate your suggestions and will add these to my list!
icon14.gif

Yeah, as I say, I've had it in the UK—in Yorkshire, in fact, though not in Tadcaster itself—and it was lovely. I usually like a bit more hoppy beer than SSOBPA, but when it's in good condition it more than makes up for the relative lack of hop zing. I agree that it must be the travel that does it in the case of the export bottles—they warehouse the poor old things for months at a time, I suspect. With Meantime and some of the other newer exports from the UK, like Otter Head and Hoppy Otter, the turnaround time on the shipping is probably much less, because I've never had a stale bottle of either.

I always have found people in the North to have their heads screwed on the right way—the problem isn't going to be the locals, though, but the derivatives traders from the City buying little pieds-a-terre in the oh-so-quaint countryside to pop into their Astons and Maseratis and go visit a couple of times a year... hmmm, now I think of it, the economic conditions aren't exactly favorable to that sort of I-have-so-much-£££-I'll-never-be-able-to-spend-it-all!! kind of flash. Maybe those places will stay empty...

I'm going to be back in the UK for several months in late summer and autumn this year, near Colchester, but Yorkshire is one of our very favorite parts of the country and we try to spend a bit of time there whenever we can (Helmsley is a particularly excellent place to stay, we've found), and I'm making up a must-try beer list for this next trip—so I appreciate your suggestions and will add these to my list!
icon14.gif

Helmsley is just 40 mins down the road from me! I have a friend who's matron at Ampleforth College, near there.

We have a couple of breweries here, the Black Sheep is probably the best
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.co.uk/.

When down in Cornwall last October we went to a real ale festival in Newquay, wonderful beers and ciders from all over!

Helmsley is just 40 mins down the road from me! I have a friend who's matron at Ampleforth College, near there.

Cool—you live in beautiful country, Tez!

We have a couple of breweries here, the Black Sheep is probably the best
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.co.uk/.

When we were in the UK this summer we visited Masham, went to the Black Sheep visitors centre and had their tour, and terrific food and beer (time to retire those half-century-out-of-date legends about the British not being able to cook... everything we ate in the UK this past summer was at least good, usually very good and on several occasions, really outstanding). The range of Black Sheep beers is very, very high quality—it's a funny story about how that Brewery got started, by a rogue (hence black sheep) member of the Theakston family...

When down in Cornwall last October we went to a real ale festival in Newquay, wonderful beers and ciders from all over!

My main dreams for my next visit to the UK, so far as 'institutional' ambitions are concerned, is:

(i) attend at least one CAMRA real ale festival, and
(ii) attend an Iain Abernethy seminar

in no particular order!

icon14.gif

If you've not already done so then you might like to sample the delicious offerings of Wentworth brewery:
http://www.wentworthbrewery.co.uk/

I particularly like their 3.5% Needles Eye, not only for the good quality taste but also for the history behind it and the fact it celebrates a local landmark (a stone monument shaped like a needle with a road passing through the 'eye'. Built, local legend has it, because one of the Earl Fitzwilliams took up a wager that said he couldn't drive his carriage through the eye of a needle...so he built one out of stone to prove the other man wrong!)

Wentworth Brewery supply both pubs in the village of Wentworth in South Yorkshire, which is a fascinating place.

The village has had close ties with the Wentworth Estate of the Wentworth-Fitzwilliam family, who became Marquises of Rockingham and supplied Britain with several early Prime Ministers.

It's one of the few remaining villages in England where almost all of the village is owned by the Wentworth Estate (although I think it is now the Estate Trust) and it has only been in recent years where privately owned properties were allowed.

Unlike other villages in South Yorkshire where there have been cookie-cutter generic housing estates springing up at a rate of knots these last couple of decades, Wentworth is almost entirely without development (unless you count the hideous monstrosity known as the Garden Centre) and IMO is the much better for it.

Anyway, that's by the by and is getting seriously off-topic.

Back to the beer:

http://www.wellingtonsheffield.com/ - best pub in Sheffield for real ale but closely followed by:

http://www.risingsunsheffield.co.uk, which is the only pub owned by

http://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/

There's also a variety of real ale brewed by http://www.sheffieldbrewery.com/ but I've only ever tried one pint of their wares. Because the majority of Sheffield & South Yorks was affected by tremendous flooding in the summer of 2007, it meant that The Sheffield Brewery was out of action for a while, along with many of the pubs it supplied. They've started brewing again but I've not visited any of the places that sell their ales since they did so. Hmm, that could be a 'task' for me next week.... :D

Sorry for the 'essay', hope there's some useful info for you there. If you need any more then just ask; as you can probably gather I'm a real ale connoisseur!

I love beer! This is a bad thread for me as I am getting strong cravings to go down the pub!

My top beers are

1) Guinness (especially in Ireland as it tastes so much better there!)
2) Gem (Bath Brewery)
3) Hobgoblin (Wychwood brewery)
4) Tanglefoot (Badger Ales)
5) Adnams Broadside
6) Barnstormer (Bath Brewery)
7) Woodforde's Wherry (Being born in Norfolk I used to drink a lot of this!)
8) Bellringer (Abbey Ales)
9) Hen's Tooth (Greene King)
10) Redhead (Tipples Brewery)

Mmmmmmmm beeer!

Latest Discussions

Back