Too Dangerous to Plow, D.C., Area Governments Halt Snow Removal

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Washington, D.C., and neighboring Montgomery County, Md., may have just lived up to its reputation as "wimpy" weather warriors -- suspending snow plow operations as a blizzard bears down on the region.
Or maybe not.
The National Weather Service on Wednesday used the phrases "extremely dangerous" and "life-threatening blizzard" to describe conditions in Baltimore and Washington, which have both set records this week for the snowiest seasons ever. Wind gusts have reached as high as 60 miles per hour as the blizzard passed through the region.
According to NOAA, before now, the snowiest month on record for Washington, D.C., was 35.2 inches, set in February 1899. By the end of the snowfall Wednesday, areas of Washington will have seen as much as 52 inches in February 2010.
The Washington Post reports that Pepco, the local electric utility, has suspended repair operations for the 3,500 homes in the Washington and Maryland suburbs that are still without power after the weekend's storms.
Alexandria, Va., emergency services also issued a warning, "Due to blizzard conditions and near-zero visibility on the roadways, to protect the safety of city employees and residents, all snowplowing operations have been temporarily suspended until weather conditions improve."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/10/dangerous-plow-dc-maryland-governments-halt-snow-removal/

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why can't Congress just open their windows and let the hot air out? They'd thaw from DC to Toronto. :D

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was born and raised in NE Ohio so I have some idea what a snow storm is. This Mid Atlantic storm is a legitimate snow storm and I suspect that even a hardy Buffalo inhabitant would agree. A roof over one of the Smithsonian warehouses collapsed from the weight. I suspect, however, that you've seen worse.

I'd still classify the snow storm I experienced in 78 as the worst storm I've ever lived through. Less snow but much higher sustained winds.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being in the Army stationed at Fort Meade and working at the JE Hoover Bldg in DC I haven't been to work in close to a week now!

Shuto...where in NE Ohio are you from?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
but, but, but I thought the government could do anything?! Maybe we just need to make it bigger.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shuto...where in NE Ohio are you from?

Cleveland - the snowy side. ;-)

eta - I highly recommend Honda's snow blowing machine. I've had mine for ~7 years and it went through 3+ feet of wet snow. It struggled when I made the first cut since it had to be a full width cut, but it still did it. Really out performed my neighbors Ariens which, to be fair, is probably twice as old.

My Honda still starts with one or two pulls.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Obama - Send in the Marines!

Aide - We can't sir, they're all in Iraq.

Obama - Send in the Army!

Aide - We can't sir, they're all in Afghanistan.

Obama - Send in the National Guard!

Aide - DC doesn't have a Guard unit dumb ***, anyway, they're all in Iraq and Afghanistan in sub standard gear because your predecessor couldn't spell "body armor".

Obama - Well damn. What's left? Too snowy for the Air Force to fly, and too much ice for the Navy.

Aide - Call up Congress! They can filibuster it to death and melt it with hot air.

Obama - I'll lead the way, ready the Teleprompter!

Aide - I'll get your cape sir.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was born and raised in NE Ohio so I have some idea what a snow storm is. .

Yes, those of us that have lived on the "NorthCoast" are fully acquainted with snow storms...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, this has been 3 storms in close order. Two of them would have been significant by any measure. And, today? Mid-day to early afternoon? Wouldn't have been smart to have plows out when the drivers couldn't see past the plows. It's generally considered a sort of good thing for the snow plows to stay ON the roads...

Latest Discussions