Tomahawks

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
James & Everyone :

Really good points. You've probably 'nailed' this one. Actually today it is hard to find anyone who has not in some way had some FMA influence. It is too bad we don't have a historic manual on the tomahawk to work from; However in reality we actually do, one just has to look a bit. Again as I mentioned on another post, check out Dr. Wayne Van Horne's ( Kennishaw State University) Doctorical Thesis. He reveals a lot of the techniques recorded by the earlier explorers ( Spain & France) describing how the tomahawk was used. Go to a Pow Wow sometime and watch the dancing. My friend Pete Kautz and I discovered some time back that warriors throughout the ages have danced with thier weapons, brandishing and flourishing it. Looks like angles of attack to me and a good way to teach 'a system' to the young folks. It's all conceptual, interesting isn't it. There is a lot of martial arts in the anthropology books. There is a message there I think.

Again, good post very enlightening.

Best
Dwight

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. McLemore: Thank you for the good resources sir (you too, Jeremy). I agree that there are a lot of martial arts in anthropological and historical studies. If I thought it could get me employed somewhere interesting that would pay the bills, I'd persue a MBA in one of these myself, as they are both interests of mine. Also, it is a breath of fresh air to see martial artists who take an academic approach to their studies.

James: As I told you today, but I'll say so for the sake of the forum: yes, Mr. Bays and I talked awhile back, and I am very interested in having him come down or going to something he is at, and seeing what his research has yielded. I haven't forgotten about the discussion; I have just been extremely busy with work and special projects.

OULobo: ...All I have to say is "Ouch!" ;)

Paul

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I agree that there are a lot of martial arts in anthropological and historical studies.
Yes, grimfang was talking about this at the WMAA camp. There has been legitimate research on many of these topics! On the other hand, a lot of what you see in things like JAMA and in books marketed to martial artists are not of that quality.

If I thought it could get me employed somewhere interesting that would pay the bills, I'd persue a MBA in one of these myself
Hmmm, it'd be an M.A. or possibly M.S., but to do in-depth research it takes more time--more like a Ph.D.!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, grimfang was talking about this at the WMAA camp. There has been legitimate research on many of these topics! On the other hand, a lot of what you see in things like JAMA and in books marketed to martial artists are not of that quality.

Hmmm, it'd be an M.A. or possibly M.S., but to do in-depth research it takes more time--more like a Ph.D.!

Then I'd be unemployed with a PHd, unless I taught college with it. I'd better pick something like mathematics if I want to make the big bucks! ;)

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been lucky in the research department by having three students who are historians and characters at Colonial Williamsburg. Unfortunately we all have to work for a living and life sometimes gets in the way of our bliss. I'm really lucky now that I've got two retirements to have the time to do better research than I did. It is really nice to have time to workout regularly, when I choose to. The wife continues to work. As for my degree, I have an Master of Education and have not used it much throughout my careers in the Military and Civil Service. If I had it all to do again, I think I would open my own business because it is really nice being the guy who sets your own schedule. It is a shame that the martial arts just don't pay what it should. Oh well, just keep playing the lottery and maybe, just maybe. You know you might just take a look at getting one of the on-line degrees, don't pay any attention to the Educational purists, a degree is a degree and distance learning is just as valuable. Besides who whats to be president of Harvard anyway. Working with riders and rednecks is a hell of a lot more fun.

You guys take care and for those that are: Happy Father's Day

Best
Dwight

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
My point in saying "There is too much FMA in Tomahawk fighting methods" is not to put down the Filipino Martial Arts. HONESTLY, I love the stick and knife work they have to offer. My point is that too many people claim this is original "Anicent Native America Secret Lost Magical Techniques" :ultracool
If they were honest and said "This is FMA applied to the axe or Tomahawk" then I would listein to them.

The tomahawk is not a difficult weapon to figure out. The sharp end goes in the bad guy and you hold the handle end. The problem is figuring out all the historical tidbits that have been lost over time. Someday they will be looking at our modern martial arts saying "This is the Ancient American Method of using a old-fashion M-16 rifle". It all comes full circle.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Samurai said:
My point in saying "There is too much FMA in Tomahawk fighting methods" is not to put down the Filipino Martial Arts. HONESTLY, I love the stick and knife work they have to offer. My point is that too many people claim this is original "Anicent Native America Secret Lost Magical Techniques" :ultracool
If they were honest and said "This is FMA applied to the axe or Tomahawk" then I would listein to them.

I can relate here. It is really more of a problem with integrity then anything else. If one comes up with a tomahawk fighting method based off FMA and other influences, and they say so, then this is fine as they are being honest. It annoys me as well when one uses modified FMA to tomahawk and claims it to be an ancient native american system, as I feel that it is dishonest.

So...I can relate! :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No argument. If I had a tomahawk in my hands I think I could use FMA principles to defend myelf with it--but, while that's good for me, it doesn't mean that that's how the weapon was actually used. It'd be nice to know the true histroy--then argue the benefits of different techniques.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Another VERY IMPORTANT thing to consider when working with the tomahawk/axe/warclub is it's slow recovery time after a blow.

To explain, simply swing the axe and miss. You can feel the weight of the axe head follow through. While this adds a whole lot of extra power, if you miss it is very bad.

A stick, knife, and even some swords have quiicker recovery times. ONLY strike when you have a solid opening and target.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
%-} Talking about Tomahawks I am awaiting both my Vietnam Ranger Tomahawk "Trainer" and my Vietnam Ranger Tomahawk, should be here any day! Looking forward to practicing with it!! Take a look at video footage of "The Man" Peter Lagana go to the AMerican Tomahawk Company website.

Latest Discussions