To Lose is to win

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The most important time to fight is when you know that you are going to lose. (1968)

I think I get this, if you know you are going to loose, then you know you can't run away, as getting away is a form of winning, your attacker is after hurting you and if you get away you've stopped them, therefore won.

So the most important time to call on those reserves and REALLY fight, is when all hope is lost and you have to dig down deep for that last strength and pull out all the stops. No holds barred.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the points be: Fight to protect something vital (i.e. your family, your country) even if you believe you will fail. Fight with everything you have out of honor - and that effort may snatch victory for your cause....... then I concur with you.

There is also a time to walk or even run away. In this society, one could argue that if one is parenting and doing a meaningful job (and most are), then there is a duty to run away. A Code of Cowardice one might ask? No, a duty not to throw your life away when people need and depend on you.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Judo, you don't randori (free-play or spar) to win, because then you get defensive and simply avoid being thrown on your back. The only way to improve is to attempt as many throws as possible, and if you get countered, slap the mat and stand up again. Randori is about experimentation, not a contest to see who is best. There's far too much ego in the martial arts, especially competitive sports such as Judo. Judo teaches you to fall down seven times, get up eight. Determination is what brings a man success in life.

Latest Discussions