To be or not to be a teacher

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am thinking about if I want to be a high school teacher or not. It seems There are a fair number of teachers here it seems. What do you think?
Why do those of you who teach do it?

R

rmcrobertson

If you don't love teaching, PLEASE don't. Especially in high school...

K

khadaji

I think it is a grand goal. However I agree with "rmcrobertson". You must realy love it. And to add. You must love no matter how much pain and abuse you will go through.

After student teaching, which I finished about a month ago, I descided to leave the profession. I could not take the politics involved.

If you love hard work, and a 24 hour work day, then it may be the job for you...

M

MisterMike

You'd HAVE to love the work. There's certainly no money in it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by someguy
So I am thinking about if I want to be a high school teacher or not.

It's a lot of work, but with obvious rewards. Despite what one hears so often, jobs aren't as plentiful for H.S. teachers as one might think--and desirable teaching jobs even less so.

What subject would you care to teach?

P

pknox

Arnisador brings up an excellent point. Subjects like English, the various social studies disciplines, and physical education always seem to have a steady supply of teachers, so you may have difficulty finding a job in those areas. However, any of the sciences (especially Physics), math, and foreign languages always seem to have more jobs than applicants. This may vary a little bit fro state to state, but it is generally true nationally. Some states might have additional needs. The other posts were spot on in regards to the reasons to or not to teach. Money, working conditions, and hours are generally worse than other jobs, especially in the beginning. However, if you love children, have a good amount of patience, and wish to make a difference, it's the place to be.

Will you be going to a teacher's college, or going through an alternate route program?

R

rmcrobertson

Best thing to do is to hit college, LEARN A SUBJECT, and then go on. Take as few Education courses as you possibly can...they will rot your brain.

I generally agree that the sciences are in more demand than the humanities. However, a lot depends on WHERE you teach...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Best thing to do is to hit college, LEARN A SUBJECT, and then go on. Take as few Education courses as you possibly can...they will rot your brain.

I generally agree that the sciences are in more demand than the humanities. However, a lot depends on WHERE you teach...

They are almost always looking for teachers for the inner city of Detroit. They even have some programs that help you with your school loans, if you teach for a certain length of time, your loans are reduced or at a lower interest rate.

Now, if the only reason you are teaching is to get your loans reduced, then you are teaching for the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

Mr Robertson knows about teaching, if my memory serves me correct. As to others such as Mr Castillo. They should be people you listen too, as they are in the field. I personally have never taught at a elementary school or high school. I have tutored high school and also college, as well as TA'd at U of Mich. I enjoyed it, yet I choose to be an engineer, since I like applying what I had learned to the field. I have thought about going back, only I know I am too busy right and this would be a diservice to the students.

:asian:

OP
S

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
History is my area.
I think im not going to..To much annoying stuff dealing with high schools.
NOw what to do with a history degree when I get it.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you feel like you HAVE to teach, teach.

if you feel like its maybe something you might enjoy doing... find a new line of work, because teaching is not for you.

if you are unsure, do some classroom volunteer work. see exactly what the teachers have to go through. Observe the classroom of a first year teacher, because that classroom will be your own personal hell someday, if teaching is what you choose.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of the first year teachers, men included, has walked into one of my education classes IN TEARS. That's how hard it is. You do everything you can and get NOTHING in return. Someday, ten years down the road, a former student may stop by and thank you, but 99.999% of the time, you never get to see the results of your hard work. The majority of teachers burn out within three years. Many burn out before they even finish their education programs.

To those of you who are teaching and hate it: please, stop.
To those of you who are thinking about it: think hard.
To those you who do it: I salute you. I tried it and I couldn't do it.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen to the comment about education courses rotting the brain!
But sadly in many states they want education majors teaching a given subject rather than those who hold degrees in the field (part of the problem w/ our schools in my opinion).
What to do with that history degree? Cultivate the perspective and the analytic skills it gives, hone your writing, and go do something you enjoy. And when it is no longer fun move on.

Chad

R

rmcrobertson

One thing I did want to note is that studying and teaching kenpo--especially group classes--really helps. It's weird, but I swear it lends a confident attitude to what you're doing...something I'm currently concerned about with the other teachers at my current job, who are taking a lot of flak from students lately.

First time I noticed this, some years back, I hadda tell a football player to talk to me after class...not that big a kid, but real attitude. He was leaning insouciantly on a wall--had his left forearm in a short cast--and something told me that this kid was gonna swing, or was thinking about it pretty seriously. I remember thinking, looking at his lead kneecap, "Kid, you have no idea how fast I can put an end to your career." Not very nice, not that I said or did anything, but he abruptly got real polite...

A lot of students, these days, are pathetically badly-taught. And what's in some ways worse, they've picked up the arrogant and crappy behaviors of rich white kids, attitudes and behaviors they can't afford. (I blame Dan Quayle, but then I ALWAYS blame Dan Quayle.) They also have no idea what learning's all about, no idea what their teachers went through, so they are all too often either bootlickers or insulting little creeeps. Fortunately, these students are considerably in the minority...it's the damn administrators you gotta watch out for, and some of the other teachers. They're incompetent, nuts, and mean all too often. And too many of 'em hate students...

With all this jazz, kenpo really helps. For one thing, a lot of the folks are physically menacing...yes, administrators included...and the farther I've gone in kenpo, the more something in me just snickers when they try it. Then too, before an ugly meeting or an interview or whatever, there's always the comforting feeling of thinking, "I've got advanced class tonight. I'm gonna hafta dummy for William Glenn. What are YOU going to do to me, little man?"

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by someguy
So I am thinking about if I want to be a high school teacher or not. It seems There are a fair number of teachers here it seems. What do you think?
Why do those of you who teach do it?

Teachers are badly needed to be sure, but if you venture in this vocation be prepared to:

*Know that you will be blamed for the childs failure, even if you are in the clear.

*Very few Administrators will back you up.

*Document EVERYTHING.

*Watch what you say, do in class.

*Have a life, leave your work at school.

*Stay one step ahead of parents, students, administration.

*Know the laws in your state clearly.

*Be a strong member of your union.

So why do I continue to do it after 22 years? I still believe in quality/pride in my work. I'm just smarter now.

Best of Luck!:asian:

Latest Discussions