tkd video game for ps2?

salchichon

White Belt
Reaction score
:ultracool can i get some recommendations on a good tkd video game for my son's ps2? if not tkd specific, then a good general martial arts game would do fine. birthday is this weekend!!!
thanks...
scott

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
my friend likes teken, but its very grusome and unrealistic

OP
S

salchichon

White Belt
Reaction score
my friend likes teken, but its very grusome and unrealistic

:ultracool thanks for the reply. someone recomended tekken5 also, so my wife picked that up for him at bestbuy. i read the reviews and it got above a 9 out of 10 on a couple of game review sites.

any tips on more realistic martial arts games?

thanks...

scott

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd recommend Virtua Fighter 4 and SoulCaliber. Both are very good and have Korean characters that do something that sorta resembles TKD. Bunches of other arts are kinda represented as well. And it's not nearly as gruesome as Tekken.

Jeff

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the Virtua Fighter games. Also, you need to remember that the PS2 can play all PS1 games as well.
The PS systems are my favorite gaming systems.

AoG

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Street Fighter Anniversary or Street Fighter Alpha. Both are great, good entertainment and not gruesome like the Mortal Combat stuff. I love playing these games, I have played the Street Fighter series since I was a junior in high school circa 1991.

By the way, I have both games on my PS2. Also, they have a lot of bang for their buck considering they have 5 games in one. Go to a Gamespot or EB Games and look for them used, that is your best bet.

www.gamespot.com or ebgames.com

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd recommend Virtua Fighter 4 and SoulCaliber. Both are very good and have Korean characters that do something that sorta resembles TKD. Bunches of other arts are kinda represented as well. And it's not nearly as gruesome as Tekken.

Jeff

I agree Jeff those are excellent games

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd recommend Virtua Fighter 4 and SoulCaliber. Both are very good and have Korean characters that do something that sorta resembles TKD.

Just being picky, but the closest to TKD VF comes is Sarah Bryant, and she's supposed to be a JKD proponent. (Still looks like TKD tho.) Possibly Jacky too, but neither of them is Korean, and VF features no character from Korea at all.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just being picky, but the closest to TKD VF comes is Sarah Bryant, and she's supposed to be a JKD proponent. (Still looks like TKD tho.) Possibly Jacky too, but neither of them is Korean, and VF features no character from Korea at all.
Yep, you are right on that. The guy in Soulcaliber is who I was thinking of. Sure, he uses a sword, but also has a very impressive array of very TKD style kicks.

Jeff

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Street Fighter Anniversary or Street Fighter Alpha. Both are great, good entertainment and not gruesome like the Mortal Combat stuff. I love playing these games, I have played the Street Fighter series since I was a junior in high school circa 1991.

Here is Street Fighter 2 for free download:
http://www.pyramid-games.com/freeware.html
It is the old Sega version, so the graphics are simple by our standards now, but I remember spending hours on this back in 1991.

AoG

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the platform anymore, but there was a game called, if I recall correctly, "Best of the Best."

It had such a wide variety of techniques to choose from that you could do a pretty good job replicating a specific martial art style.

For example, it had several sidekicks -- some that looked like TKD, some that looked more like karate.

It also did a good job of modeling the fatigue from different techniques depending on the difficulty and power.

Timing was also well modeled.

Almost more of a fighting "simulation" than game...

It was a great game -- anybody else play it/remember it?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tekken 5- it features two TKD charaters one who does more modern TKD and one that practices old school tkd (beak)
also theres a really good Muay thai fighter in the game who actually fighter liek a thai fighter ( :

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the platform anymore, but there was a game called, if I recall correctly, "Best of the Best."

It had such a wide variety of techniques to choose from that you could do a pretty good job replicating a specific martial art style.

For example, it had several sidekicks -- some that looked like TKD, some that looked more like karate.

It also did a good job of modeling the fatigue from different techniques depending on the difficulty and power.

Timing was also well modeled.

Almost more of a fighting "simulation" than game...

It was a great game -- anybody else play it/remember it?

Yeah that was Karate Champions. If it is the same game I am thinking of it is the same game that Van Damme played in Bloodsport at the beginning of the movie.

It looked just like a tae kwon do match.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

By the way, I have both games on my PS2. Also, they have a lot of bang for their buck considering they have 5 games in one. Go to a Gamespot or EB Games and look for them used, that is your best bet.

www.gamespot.com or ebgames.com

Especially the later games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Street Fighter 3( available in those sets)

the character Ken has over time gravitated towards a TKD style of kicking.

OP
S

salchichon

White Belt
Reaction score
Tekken 5- it features two TKD charaters one who does more modern TKD and one that practices old school tkd (beak)

:ultracool i got tekken 5. thanks for everyone's tips...

scott

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think it came out for the Super Nintendo. I remember seeing it in advertisements. Never played it though since it looked a lot like Andre Panza's Kickboxing (TG-16), which was too simmy for my tastes back then.

There's also a 3d fighter released by SNK/Playmore in the arcades that has a strong point fighting and simulation base. Don't remember what it was called (really generic like Fighter's Championship or something) but it had recognizeable styles from multiple disciplines.

Latest Discussions