TKD in a street fight.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a humpback whale in the background...

So much for all those who say you cannot use high kicks in self defense situations.
Im of the belief that You certainly can. It just shouldnt be Your Primary Tool.
And things like Spinning Heels are very hard to block if You havent specifically learnt how.
Wouldn't have been my personal choice because I like my crotch and he was begging to be punched in the mouth just as much as he was begging to be kicked. My personal SD philosophy is, waist or above, hands, waist or below, feet, with the waist being the area of overlap.

I'm not criticizing the guy in the video; I speak for myself only, as I don't consider my own high kicks to be all that good.

Im of the opinion that it depends just as much on what kind of High Kick. Ill be the first to denounce High Roundhouse/Round Kicks, but High Front Kicks, Side Kicks, Back and Spinning Heel, and probably Jump Spin Crescents happen to be a touch harder to stop in their tracks. Not as hard as the same thing to the midsection (Save the Crescent), but still.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im of the opinion that it depends just as much on what kind of High Kick. Ill be the first to denounce High Roundhouse/Round Kicks, but High Front Kicks, Side Kicks, Back and Spinning Heel, and probably Jump Spin Crescents happen to be a touch harder to stop in their tracks. Not as hard as the same thing to the midsection (Save the Crescent), but still.

Why denounce a high section roundhouse kick? That to me is the one that is most likely to score. High front kick or side kick tend to bounce off, I prefer spin hook kick to back kick to the face, and we don't even practice jump spin crescent (or any spinning crescent kicks) because it is too easy to block and leaves you exposed. Spin crescent kicks also makes for bad habits, and screws up people's learning curve on spin hook kick.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why denounce a high section roundhouse kick? That to me is the one that is most likely to score. High front kick or side kick tend to bounce off, I prefer spin hook kick to back kick to the face, and we don't even practice jump spin crescent (or any spinning crescent kicks) because it is too easy to block and leaves you exposed. Spin crescent kicks also makes for bad habits, and screws up people's learning curve on spin hook kick.

How does a properly-landed high side kick bounce off? That's such a powerful kick. If it lands flush the guy on the wrong end of it should have a very bad day.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
How does a properly-landed high side kick bounce off? That's such a powerful kick. If it lands flush the guy on the wrong end of it should have a very bad day.

It's hard to land on a moving motivated target, especially to a knockout point such as the side of the jaw. Even when it does land, it doesn't tend to be a knockout shot, like a roundhouse or spin hook kick, which is much easier as far as that jaw point. You might hit the chin, but that is the one that tends to bounce off. But you might get a different result. Experiment for yourself. Perhaps you have a way of making it work for you.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because they have a wide arc of movement (The actual Kick. The Chamber is irrelevant here - Its just the way it comes in from the side). Personally I find them easy to block to the point ill just stand still and move one arm to do it, preferably using an Elbow. High Front and Side take a bit more skill, but I find that theyre generally more reliable.
I will say though, that theres a "to each their own" logic needing to be added here. Just because I find High Round Kicks noxiously easy to do away with doesnt make that a rule of thumb, much like Me preferring High Side Kicks.

In inclined to agree with preferring Spinning Heel and Back Kick.

Jump Spin Crescent is good if You are in a good place from which to do it - It has to come in at a Downward Arc, and Your Heel should be the main tool. If it comes in any other way, its blocking chow. At a proper arc, it can push through a Guard, or damage a blocking tool.
That said, its less reliable due to the range needed to pull it off, since it could crash into any number of things along the way. Ill mention now that I didnt mean to imply it was a good option, so much as a better option under the right conditions.
I prefer a Jump Spin Heel - But the Arc on it makes it easy to block if You havent already set it up with at least one decent connecting strike.
That said, I consider standing Spin Crescents to be unfavorable compared to Spin Heel.

Im sure theres some way I could have explained this in a much shorter reply, but between being tired and focused on other things, My Brain is thinking in long winded statements.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard to land on a moving motivated target, especially to a knockout point such as the side of the jaw. Even when it does land, it doesn't tend to be a knockout shot, like a roundhouse or spin hook kick, which is much easier as far as that jaw point. You might hit the chin, but that is the one that tends to bounce off. But you might get a different result. Experiment for yourself. Perhaps you have a way of making it work for you.
Why would You aim for the Chin? Aim for the Nose, or the Forehead.
Assuming its a similar height opponent, of course.

If Youre doing a good Side Kick, in My Experience, it shouldnt be angled too much.
Unless Youre referring to the archetype in which one leans out of the Kick, which would make the Chin a better target than if You were upright.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Mr Jackson nice video.

Going to the US Open?
Yes Sir, we will be there. Katie will not be competing in Sparring as she is still recovering from her foot surgery. She had to have a second surgery (mostly to clean up some scar tissue and to remvove the hardware that was bothering her). She will do forms though. AJ is set to compete but he just pulled his groin really bad at a competition competing in the 14-17 year old division. He won beating Joseph Ong in the finals. Hopfully he will be healed in time.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing you. Hope your boy is healed and your girl continues in her recovery.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing you. Hope your boy is healed and your girl continues in her recovery.
Thanks. Good to see Kym and Charlie competing again. Good luck to both of them. Will see you all in Vegas.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to see Kym and Charlie competing again. Good luck to both of them. Will see you all in Vegas.

It will be good to see you again. They never stopped fighting just stopped USAT. We replaced it with the NKF. All last year we did AAU Tkd and NKF karate. Probably fought more last year than ever.

Latest Discussions