Independent Tae Kwon Do School owners in need of some testing information for myself

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for any help that you may be able to offer on this. I am current a 2nd Dan and a Independent school owner myself and I'm looking to be tested for 3rd Dan by the years end. My last certification was back in 2008 and personal reasons no long with that organization. But being independent I am having an issue of finding someone to test and certify me with no strings attach. If you don't mind me asking, with you being independent how were you able to be tested for your next respective rank? And any suggestions?

Thanks for your help and information.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for any help that you may be able to offer on this. I am current a 2nd Dan and a Independent school owner myself and I'm looking to be tested for 3rd Dan by the years end. My last certification was back in 2008 and personal reasons no long with that organization. But being independent I am having an issue of finding someone to test and certify me with no strings attach. If you don't mind me asking, with you being independent how were you able to be tested for your next respective rank? And any suggestions?

Thanks for your help and information.
If you're independent, I'm not sure why would you need to tested at all? It seems you could be whatever you wanted. To get a better understanding of where you're coming from, it may help to know the organization you left. It appears you have some type of parameters in mind, but I don't know how anyone could assist you without being made aware of what they are. For instance, I'm Kukkiwon certified so naturally, those are the parameters I would measure by.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you ITF or WTF, what is your certification now? What part of the country you are in? I know the AAU will test people but they do not care how you run your school. Send me a pm if you ant to give the info that way.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the AAU will test people but they do not care how you run your school.

I believe a standard clause in the Kukkiwon MOU agreements, with AAU and other organizations, is that the other organization promises not to issue their own certification. Perhaps AAU doesn't feel the need to honor that aspect of the agreement with Kukkiwon. You may wish to check on that. But maybe AAU Dan certificates are a thing of the past.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1) where are you
2) are you cut off from your instructor so thats why you cant be promoted?
3) do you NEED to be promote or do you just want to be promoted?
4) do you have material to be tested on, or would you need to be given a set of requirements and learn them?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plenty of Places advertise in the Kick and punch magazines and will Take Yer Dough to issue a nice certificate promoting you in Taekwon-Do.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are a few options for you depending on what you are looking for. What type of curriculum/lineage do you come from? Why do you wish to test?

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All helpfull and all good questions. First I'm located in Lawrenceburg, Indiana just outside of Cincinnati Ohio. My linage comes from Chung Do Kwan and I've grew up with WTF. As of right now I do not have any curriculum to follow by for testing for 3rd Dan. So as of right now it would be based upon what I know. And with the poomse I was taught going up in the ranks all the Pal Gwe poomse with Hwarang. Also I know Koryo, Keumgang, and five of the 8 Tae Guk poomse. And I also know Chong Ji and Dan Gun. And as far as being cut off from my Instructor I'll leave it as a personal reason on here but will clarify in a pm if you wish. Hope this helps some.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
All helpfull and all good questions. First I'm located in Lawrenceburg, Indiana just outside of Cincinnati Ohio. My linage comes from Chung Do Kwan and I've grew up with WTF. As of right now I do not have any curriculum to follow by for testing for 3rd Dan. So as of right now it would be based upon what I know. And with the poomse I was taught going up in the ranks all the Pal Gwe poomse with Hwarang. Also I know Koryo, Keumgang, and five of the 8 Tae Guk poomse. And I also know Chong Ji and Dan Gun. And as far as being cut off from my Instructor I'll leave it as a personal reason on here but will clarify in a pm if you wish. Hope this helps some.

Come to Cleveland, Ohio (about 5 hours drive). Spend a weekend, a week, a month, you choose. We will get you up to speed with all the curriculum you need in all area's of Taekwondo (and Taekkyon if you are interested in that) and your are free to run your school as you like.

No fees involved except the 3rd Dan application fee to Kukkiwon ($120) which you do not give to me, you give it to Kukkiwon. If you can't afford that, we will pay it for you.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i dont like the wtf, i dont want to be in the wtf

but

if you do, then take Cole up on his offer. sounds like a perfect fit.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come to Cleveland, Ohio (about 5 hours drive). Spend a weekend, a week, a month, you choose. We will get you up to speed with all the curriculum you need in all area's of Taekwondo (and Taekkyon if you are interested in that) and your are free to run your school as you like.

No fees involved except the 3rd Dan application fee to Kukkiwon ($120) which you do not give to me, you give it to Kukkiwon. If you can't afford that, we will pay it for you.

Really? You'll train him for free and pay his testing fees? I somehow doubt that you do that normally. What's the catch?
Can anybody really just walk in to your school, pay the $120 Kukkiwon fee, and test for 3rd Dan?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? You'll train him for free and pay his testing fees? I somehow doubt that you do that normally. What's the catch?
Can anybody really just walk in to your school, pay the $120 Kukkiwon fee, and test for 3rd Dan?

I do that normally. I don't charge testing, or any kind of fees. My dojang students pay all kinds of fees, but outside people/instructors are not my students. I don't ask other Taekwondoin to become my student and rarely accept other Taekwondoin as my student, that would take years of a good relationship. I don't collect geup fees, association fees, etc. Nothing. I do ask them to pay the application fee though. However, in cases where a person is not able to, I will pay it and we teach them for free.

People that form this kind of relationship with Puunui and myself have had some amazing experiences in their Taekwondo lives.

Also, if all goes well, Puunui might even approve an actually Chung Do Kwan, Korea Dan for them, if I recommend it, the the person is from Chung Do Kwan roots.

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people don't realize it, and maybe because of the fear and hate that some people wrongly spew about Kukkiwon, but myself and some others can sign the application recommendation for a Taekwondoin to take the instructor course at the Kukkiwon. They mail in that application with the required info and the $150 "certification" fee. At the course, they train for 8 to 9 hours a day for 5 days with the worlds best Taekwondo instructors, they get books, gifts, a beautiful graduation certificate, uniform, belts, all kinds of things, plus the physical test, and written test, and advise from the testing panel who are usually Kwan leaders and a Kwan founder or two, all for FREE. That $150 fee was for the Instructor Certificate the person gets IF they pass the exams.

Not many groups do that.

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mastercole: I don't know if this is common practice with owners of TKD dojangs, but I find it refreshing to know that you offer this for people not associated with your school. I doubt I will ever run a school myself, but if I ever did, I would like to adopt the same mindset.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Assuming that he has a kukkiwon 2nd dan, and not a dojang certificate.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mastercole: I don't know if this is common practice with owners of TKD dojangs, but I find it refreshing to know that you offer this for people not associated with your school. I doubt I will ever run a school myself, but if I ever did, I would like to adopt the same mindset.

Probably not, but I am not doing this as a dojang owner as being a dojang owner is only a part of what I do in Taekwondo, I would be doing as a Taekwondo leader, which there are many of, me being just one small, junior kind of guy. Like you, I to wanted to adopt that mind set because it was the mind set of my seniors, who always treated me that way.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably not, but I am not doing this as a dojang owner as being a dojang owner is only a part of what I do in Taekwondo, I would be doing as a Taekwondo leader, which there are many of, me being just one small, junior kind of guy. Like you, I to wanted to adopt that mind set because it was the mind set of my seniors, who always treated me that way.

Exactly how I feel about it. You and I have been very very fortunate in the seniors and teachers that we have been able to study with and learn from.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly how I feel about it. You and I have been very very fortunate in the seniors and teachers that we have been able to study with and learn from.

We have. Positive healthy minded seniors and teachers will help shape a positive and healthy view of the greater Taekwondo world. Negative confused minded seniors and teachers will do the opposite, dragging their follower back into the abyss of ignorance.

Latest Discussions