Tip of the Week

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Bill(y) Lear. I understand Mr. Mills is a great Kenpoist, but his videos don't demonstrate that greatness. Any good Kenpo Black Belt can smack around a training dummy. I'd love to see Mr. Mills do some videos with techniques done on a more aggressive attacker.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

I have to agree with Bill(y) Lear. I understand Mr. Mills is a great Kenpoist, but his videos don't demonstrate that greatness. Any good Kenpo Black Belt can smack around a training dummy. I'd love to see Mr. Mills do some videos with techniques done on a more aggressive attacker.

Well fortunately for the AKKI members and unfortunately for anyone else who would be interested there is footage of Mr. Mills doing techniques on what you would call more aggressive attackers, but this footage is available as teaching material to association members only. Unfortunately there aren't any video clips currently available to the general public that have Mr. Mills performing techniques against an attack. However if you are interested, the following links show members executing AKKI material in a technique line.

http://www.akki.com/vegas/september2003/video_techniqueline.htm

http://www.akki.com/vegas/september2003/video_techniqueline2.htm

Elijah J.

White Belt
Reaction score
"How long was that guy standing there with his arms stretched out in front of him before Mr. Mills started his technique? It doesn't even look like his attacker tried to push him. What forward momentum did he stop?"

"The attacker actually tried to push Tatum a couple of times, while Mills attacker just stood there with his arms stretched out in front of him... I will concede that both men were compliant attackers, but there was still a BIG difference in what was done.

What does an applied attack have to do with spontaneity? You either attack or you don't. Right?"

Billy you really need to shut up. Last time I checked Mr. Mills' belt was a bit darker than yours. He is a very accomplished martial artist, and had reasoning for presenting the technique the way that he did, as did Mr. Tatum. Your condescending tone is easily picked up from your posts on this topic, and is seen as disrespect. Maybe you should spend more time with your PC games than on the internet.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elijah J.
Billy you really need to shut up. Last time I checked Mr. Mills' belt was a bit darker than yours.

Elijah, your shoe laces must be darker than mine. That must comfort you a whole lot.

He is a very accomplished martial artist, and had reasoning for presenting the technique the way that he did, as did Mr. Tatum.

What what his reasoning? Please explain it to me. Your magic shoe laces must give you special mind reading powers that I have failed to acquire yet. Can you explain what his reasoning was? (Please don't help him AKKI guys... I want him to explain it. I agree with you guys to a point, but this guy has all the answers, and I want to hear them from him.)

Your condescending tone is easily picked up from your posts on this topic, and is seen as disrespect.

If you want to read it that way, that's your problem... I was not trying to be condescending or disrespectful. I posted this to these gentlemen in another thread:

Originally posted by Bill Lear
(under the Gaseos Phase Of Motion topic)

By the way... this is turning into a good debate... Lets not try and take anything personal here... I think we can all learn something from this dialogue...

See?

Maybe you should spend more time with your PC games than on the internet.

Um... I don't think so. :)

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Please?

Thanks,
-MB

Mr. Billings,

I 100% agree with you, but I didn't go in search of Elijah for a fight. It seems he has some kind of problem with me. My sarcastic response to his condescending post might be a little much, and for that I apologize. What I will not do is stop posting my opinions and/or observations. Even though I might be a lowly brown belt, I have a voice just like everyone else.

If he has a problem with me, he can go to the top of the page, follow this link:
mtinterface_05.jpg
, use the ignore option, and turn me off. :)

Elijah J.

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Billings-

Sir, you ask for courtesy, and I will adhere to your request. Billy's posts concerning Mr. Mills were out of line.

Billy, why the constant comparison to Mr. Tatum? Can we get off the whole Tatum/deity thing? Mr. Mills obviously had a reason for portraying the technique at the level that he did. I don't know Mr. Mills never seen him, although I do have respect for his abilities. I suggest you should as well. Are you upset that his dummy didn't present the full attack? Who cares, take the lesson for which it was intended. Shoe laces? Is that a Dungeons and Dragons thing? You lost me there.

Elijah Johnston

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Billings-

Sir, you ask for courtesy, and I will adhere to your request. Billy's posts concerning Mr. Mills were out of line.

Billy, why the constant comparison to Mr. Tatum? Can we get off the whole Tatum/deity thing? Mr. Mills obviously had a reason for portraying the technique at the level that he did. I don't know Mr. Mills never seen him, although I do have respect for his abilities. I suggest you should as well. Are you upset that his dummy didn't present the full attack? Who cares, take the lesson for which it was intended. Shoe laces? Is that a Dungeons and Dragons thing? You lost me there.

Elijah Johnston

Wow, you read my profile... Should I be impressed? :shrug:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Bill Lear
Wow, you read my profile... Should I be impressed? :shrug:

Cmon Billy, we all know RPG's stands for Rocket Propelled Grenades, who loves ya Baby

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

i don't see any *kenpo* tip of the week in this thread . Where is it ???

the only thing i see is 2 guys argue over 2 other guys. is it a tip of the week ???

OP
K

Kenpomachine

The tips of the week are the links to the clips.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Ok, fine. I'll make one (1) offensive comment first, one (1) Deep Philosophical comment, and one (1) note of my own shortcomings.

First--what happened? Did Clyde forget to genuflect?

Second--to repeat something oft noted, rather than trying to shorten someone else's line--lengthen your own.

Third--I didn't look at either clip, because a) didn't feel like waiting for them to load, b) don't care about the clips, c) have had chance to catch Mr. Tatum close up.

Now, back to reality. Clyde posted a link to Mr. Tatum's, "Tip of the Week," along with a general, "damn, look at that," comment. Several posters noted either a) how much they liked the clip, b) their difficulty getting it to load, c) how much they liked the website. Thereupon followed several comments of the, "Mr. Mills does this better, and anyway the website sucks," variety.

Thereafter followed some commentary, including mine, about the difficulty of applying easy notions of, "more sophisticated," to a video clip.

One more comment in that line: I've personally seen (and felt) Mr. Tatum, teaching a range of options in, "Parting Wings," everything from an elongated loop (sometimes taught to relative novices) to a much, much shorter trajectory for the right hand. Which is best? Which "most sophisticated?" It depends.

This fascination with the cleverest and fanciest is really what's at issue, I think. As long as you think the latest and niftiest is the mostest, you'll miss the point. It resembles the mistake of supposing "gaseous," to be necessarily superior to, "solid." It resembles the error of rushing forward to get to the good stuff in your training, as though Long 7 were inherently superior to a good inward block--or even more-complex, for that matter.

As for courtesy--well, you are proud of your instructor, and your training. Probably, you should be. People like Clyde and myself are proud of our instructor, and our training. Probably, we should be.

Sheesh anyways.

Maybe next time, some folks could try to understand what they're seeing and pay attention to the reasons for it, rather than nattering about how superior they fantasize something else they're seeing is.

I can't speak for Mr. Mills, obviously. But I can damn well tell you unequivocally that if Mr. Tatum's doing something we don't recognize on this or any other technique, it would behoove us all to shaddup and try to understand what's going on, remembering that, "any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Then, ya wanna attack, great. But first...

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
wow, can't wait to argue about next week's clip... :rofl: :rofl:

Ian.

Do you have any idea how long a "week" is in internet time :D ...

jb:asian:

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
Do you have any idea how long a "week" is in internet time :D ...

jb:asian:

Ahh dang, I already thought it was next week :D

OP
R

rmcrobertson

As I just found out from Clyde, Week 2 is now available. It's on forming a hand-sword as a weapon capable of multiple applications...

Oh, and just so's we can keep squabblin', I finally looked at the Week 1 tip. Fer cryin' out loud, it's a tip--a tip, not a summation of everything about the technique. And this particular TIP--you know, focus on ONE small detail that might enliven a whole technique, or even practice?--is on rounding off corners.

I'll go back and look at the other clips now. Why not? I'm someplace with a T1 line...

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Hey gang, it's back, another Tip of the Week from Larry. This one covers how to use the handswords, single hand only tho LOL.

http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Holy Cow!

I had a longer reply in the making but I'm just going to be minimalistic on this one and say.

WOW!:eek:

Latest Discussions