Time's are a changing

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was over a another Dojaang today with some other school from out of town. Was together to just fight and work on techniques and the parent from the other town was a disgrace in my opion, Childern by USA Taekwondo can't do head shots JUNIOR SAFETY RULES of course follow the rule's except these parents was telling there child to take off the other kid head when I said this is just a get together I was told it's fight time and head shot is legal when we tried to explain we are getting ready for a major tournament in March and was trying to follow the rules for that tournament they where angry. What a joke the way some people are!!!!

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Post dojo rules on the wall especially about parents being silent during classes on the wall. If they can't follow those rules, then have them take junior to a different places. Remember ur the paying the rent, not them. The more people allow the parents act like kids the more it will continue.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
digitalronin said:
Post dojo rules on the wall especially about parents being silent during classes on the wall. If they can't follow those rules, then have them take junior to a different places. Remember ur the paying the rent, not them. The more people allow the parents act like kids the more it will continue.
Yea the problem not my Dojaang somebody else, if was my place would have told them to leave!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess my biggest problem is you see this at baseball games, basketball games and football games never thought it would make it to the Martail art world. It has always been about respect in a Dojaang floor, that is what seperate the two worlds of sport and MA...:rofl:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
...except these parents was telling there child to take off the other kid head when I said this is just a get together I was told it's fight time and head shot is legal when we tried to explain we are getting ready for a major tournament in March and was trying to follow the rules for that tournament they where angry. What a joke the way some people are!!!

Yeah, and if it was their kid getting major hurt from a knock on the head, those parents would be the first ones threatening to sue too. These are just kids for pete's sake. For one they are too young to make choices, so the parents and "junior rules" make it for all the adults who can't make the right choices. :rolleyes: TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that some parents have to live vicariously through their kids. It is also unfortunate when the parents are essentially telling the kids to cheat or to hurt their training partners...

Where was the host/instructor to these children (whose parents were obnoxious)? He or she should enforce the Junior Safety Rules, as well as tell the parents to keep quiet.

Miles

T

The Prof

Sometimes parents can be foolish. Each parent is looking for something different. With some parents (instructors and coaches too) whether or not the child is having a good time means nothing to them.

Keep your spirits high and have a great time at the tournament.

The Prof

terryl965 said:
Was over a another Dojaang today with some other school from out of town. Was together to just fight and work on techniques and the parent from the other town was a disgrace in my opion, Childern by USA Taekwondo can't do head shots JUNIOR SAFETY RULES of course follow the rule's except these parents was telling there child to take off the other kid head when I said this is just a get together I was told it's fight time and head shot is legal when we tried to explain we are getting ready for a major tournament in March and was trying to follow the rules for that tournament they where angry. What a joke the way some people are!!!!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to umpire Little League games. Kids were ok..parents were the problem usually

I think being a kid is a fun time in life...I prefer my kids to enjoy being kids... Most of us are *not* going to be supported in our old age by our superstar sports kids.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Yeah, parents get so emotional....there's no crying in martial arts!
Someone is a Tom Hanks fan! :uhyeah: I like him too, especially in Saving Private Ryan.

The first school I ever trained in was pretty much ruined by the parents on the sideline. Not all of them, just a very loud, very obnoxious few. It was like an episode of the Jerry Springer show in there. Big problem was that the instructor would not only allow it to happen but would take part in the gossip, inuendo and such. We left after just a while.

The title of the thread is Times are changing...are they really? I can remember the same type of mindset back in the 70s when I was a kid from parents who had never accomplished anything in their life or had been the highschool quarterback wanting their kid to be better than every other kid out there regardless of the cost to the kid.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure the times are changing. Everyone is getting more liberal/PC. There are more colors added to ranking for and profiteering. Other arts and instructors had surfaced. So too, has other martial art fads.

Fighting fads in chronological order:

Boxing in the 40's-
There were boxing gyms all over. Fathers (parents) and priests would settle boyhood arguements by "putting on the gloves".

Judo in the late 40's to mid 50's-
Because of the lasting memory of the Pacific War, and the Japanese look more of a enemy than the Germans, things Japanese were not readily accepted. Soon, Judo started to gain its fad popularity. Judo was sheik. Just look at the old action films and old James Bond movies.

Karate in the mid 50's to early 60's-
Because of the American occupation on Okinawa, Karate was being brought back. Karate was gaining over Judo cause it seemed "new". it had more "action". And the famous "karate chop" to the back of the neck in entertainment.

Kung Fu in the late 50's to 70's-
The mtyhs and mystique of strange moves and feats were tempting. There was even a song added to the fad; "Everybody WAS Kung Fu Fighting". Credit Mr. Bruce Lee and small budget HK films-with all of the "strings attached".

Ninjutsu and PKA in the 70's to early 80's-
Wearing a "black hood" was not considered "terrorism" back then. It was "kool" to dress in black and use stealth. PKA/kickboxing was black belters whom wanted to contend. Back then it was truely KICKboxing, people were getting knocked out by the foot. Nowadays kickboxing is a exercise/cardio fad with another name stemming from calleshenics, aerobics, jazzercise, etc. Competiton kickboxing now has little Kicking, per action. Being it should be renamed to BOXINGkick

Ultimate fighting/Shootfighting/Ground arts in the 80's til
With movies such as "Kickboxer", bouts seemed harder (as cage matches were not really new). Because there are RULES, grappling seemed to dominate these bouts. These were later to be developed into electic systems termed "modernized". Although, the martial arts, since the beginning of human physical conflict, has beed modernized in accordance with its ever changing eras.

Shaolin Kung Fu/Krav Magna/CDC
Again, media, per movies and perofrmances had caused a re-curiousity of Shaolin. China went from a culture deprived/harnessed country, to re-enrichment of it past. Shaolin had market value. Get a couple of old men and wu shu practitioners, shave their heads, and presto-. Krav, was just another military martial art to show effectiveness.

This time line is per fad, or given surgence of these, in my environment or residency. Now, it should be noted, that I do not intend belittle any particular martial art, its organization, its individual instructors, or people. I like ALL martial arts. I have studied a few martial arts and have friends in many others. Generally, I see people over-hyping, or bandwagoneers, of a particular martial art. Reading posts like this vs that. This is better than that. TMA vs MMA. Given the definition of martial art, then boxing, military armed forces, or anything to do with fighting/combat could be considered as martial arts.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that is pretty bad for a parent to say that. If I were the owner or instructor of the school, he would have been asked to leave, no if ands or buts!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Yeah, that is pretty bad for a parent to say that. If I were the owner or instructor of the school, he would have been asked to leave, no if ands or buts!
Some parents don't care and some school owners do not say much in case they may loose their customer-er student.

A friend of mine that owns and operate a school tolerates a lot. I had asked why. His answer; "If you upset one parent/student, you will upset another and so on. Soon you will loose many students to other schools...."

Latest Discussions