Tightness, and throwing an effective punch

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't even know what that collection of words means. It's like you put a few sentences in a blender and this is how it came out. ;)

Joking aside, I am just going to say this once more. Your way is fine for you. It's not how we do it. If you think that's wrong, OK, no problem, you're free to think that. If you think that's not how we do it, you'd better be my sensei, because otherwise you have no standing to tell me how my system works. Are we clear?
Pink Opaque.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people let the impact close the hand. If your fist formation is correct this can work. I tend to go for a middle approach. Keep the hands formed properly but loose. As the hand moves towards target, begin to tighten. Tenseness of the body upon impact ensures impact is aligned with arm, shoulder, spine, legs, ground. Hips provide power, fist conforms to impact zone. Maximum power delivered, hand uninjured. Isshin-Ryu baby.

The issue you might have is as the other guy moves around you can catch your hand before it is ready.

Headbutting the fist can do this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with drop bear...

(pick your jaws up off the floor!)

If your body is not supporting the technique, if you try to fire a punch off of cooked spaghetti arms and jello legs, the force will go nowhere -- according to my system's power generation principles.

Doesn't mean there aren't ways to do relaxed power punches, but even then, the structure has to be here to support it if you want it to be powerful.

Ok. A simple idea. It is the difference between throwing a water baloon at someone and throwing a frozen water baloon at them.

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Completely soft, = weak punch
Completely tight = weak punch

Fluidly moving between hard and soft = maximum power.

There is a time for fluidity and a time for hardness. I was always told to be soft until the moment of impact then to tighten up for a split second on impact. I have found that it is impossible to accurately describe the sensation over text.

my website - www.northernshotokan.com

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. A simple idea. It is the difference between throwing a water baloon at someone and throwing a frozen water baloon at them.

That makes sense. At the moment of impact you want your hand to be like the frozen water balloon, hard. Before impact you want your hand to be loose. As for the rest of your body, you don't want it to be like a wet noodle but you want it relaxed, much like a hose with water going through it.

Now, on the topic of punches, there is also a debate if punches should land vertically or horizontally. I would say it depends on the target.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That makes sense. At the moment of impact you want your hand to be like the frozen water balloon, hard. Before impact you want your hand to be loose. As for the rest of your body, you don't want it to be like a wet noodle but you want it relaxed, much like a hose with water going through it.

Now, on the topic of punches, there is also a debate if punches should land vertically or horizontally. I would say it depends on the target.

Thumb up. So the arm is locked in a 90% angle or you loose structure.

Latest Discussions