Tightness, and throwing an effective punch

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
To throw an effective punch you do have to be loose. If you're all tense and tight when you throw the punch than the punch will be slow and ineffective. You've got to relax when throwing the punch, experience in the martial arts should teach you that. However, you do want to be tight at the moment of impact. If you're not your wrist could bend when you make impact which you don't want. I used to have that problem myself. Anyway, what I've been taught is that at the moment of impact you want your hand to be as hard as a rock but the rest of your body loose. By making your hand as hard as a rock at the moment of impact you will avoid bending your wrist but you want to try to keep the rest of your arm and the rest of your body loose. Hand strengthening exercises can help with this. Prior to impact you want your hand loose but at the moment of impact you want to make your hand hard while keeping the rest of your body loose and then to quickly retract it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To throw an effective punch you do have to be loose. If you're all tense and tight when you throw the punch than the punch will be slow and ineffective. You've got to relax when throwing the punch, experience in the martial arts should teach you that. However, you do want to be tight at the moment of impact. If you're not your wrist could bend when you make impact which you don't want. I used to have that problem myself. Anyway, what I've been taught is that at the moment of impact you want your hand to be as hard as a rock but the rest of your body loose. By making your hand as hard as a rock at the moment of impact you will avoid bending your wrist but you want to try to keep the rest of your arm and the rest of your body loose. Hand strengthening exercises can help with this. Prior to impact you want your hand loose but at the moment of impact you want to make your hand hard while keeping the rest of your body loose and then to quickly retract it.
I don't subscribe to this point of view. You really need only tighten the striking surface; so, just the first two knuckles, or last three, depending on how you punch. This method is basically touching people with your knuckles, and more a, "Let the weight of the weapon do the work", thing, but yeah, no rock hard fists. It makes you slow. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All true. And the vertical fist and fist formation of Isshin-Ryu are ideal for this. Thumb on top, keeps wrist straight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whole body tight and braced on impact. Otherwise the force is going to escape back.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with drop bear...

(pick your jaws up off the floor!)

If your body is not supporting the technique, if you try to fire a punch off of cooked spaghetti arms and jello legs, the force will go nowhere -- according to my system's power generation principles.

Doesn't mean there aren't ways to do relaxed power punches, but even then, the structure has to be here to support it if you want it to be powerful.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't subscribe to this point of view. You really need only tighten the striking surface; so, just the first two knuckles, or last three, depending on how you punch. This method is basically touching people with your knuckles, and more a, "Let the weight of the weapon do the work", thing, but yeah, no rock hard fists. It makes you slow. :)
Well you only want a rock hard fist at the moment of impact. Prior to impact you want you hand and the rest of your body to be loose otherwise it will slow you down but at the moment of impact that's when you want your hand to be rock hard, but it would be interesting to see how it would work if you only tighten the knuckles you're striking with, I should try that out.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people let the impact close the hand. If your fist formation is correct this can work. I tend to go for a middle approach. Keep the hands formed properly but loose. As the hand moves towards target, begin to tighten. Tenseness of the body upon impact ensures impact is aligned with arm, shoulder, spine, legs, ground. Hips provide power, fist conforms to impact zone. Maximum power delivered, hand uninjured. Isshin-Ryu baby.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well you only want a rock hard fist at the moment of impact. Prior to impact you want you hand and the rest of your body to be loose otherwise it will slow you down but at the moment of impact that's when you want your hand to be rock hard, but it would be interesting to see how it would work if you only tighten the knuckles you're striking with, I should try that out.
Also, you make the fist, just before impact. You can practice while driving down the road. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people let the impact close the hand. If your fist formation is correct this can work. I tend to go for a middle approach. Keep the hands formed properly but loose. As the hand moves towards target, begin to tighten. Tenseness of the body upon impact ensures impact is aligned with arm, shoulder, spine, legs, ground. Hips provide power, fist conforms to impact zone. Maximum power delivered, hand uninjured. Isshin-Ryu baby.
That is a funny way of pronouncing Kenpo. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with drop bear...

(pick your jaws up off the floor!)

If your body is not supporting the technique, if you try to fire a punch off of cooked spaghetti arms and jello legs, the force will go nowhere -- according to my system's power generation principles.

Doesn't mean there aren't ways to do relaxed power punches, but even then, the structure has to be here to support it if you want it to be powerful.
consider throwing stones at someone, and you never back it up with any sort of form. The rock was thrown, and it did what it did.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just tried throwing the reverse punch on a target and just tightening the digits where the contact is focused as Touch Of Death mentioned. It really does work, for me its more effective than tightening up the entire hand.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With stepping punches (oi-tsuki) the point of contact is mid point of stepping through to your stance (the stance just begin the position you end up in after the punch, not the position you get into to throw the punch) so I'm not sure how you would tighten your legs?

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just tried throwing the reverse punch on a target and just tightening the digits where the contact is focused as Touch Of Death mentioned. It really does work, for me its more effective than tightening up the entire hand.

I thought this was very interesting too.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With stepping punches (oi-tsuki) the point of contact is mid point of stepping through to your stance (the stance just begin the position you end up in after the punch, not the position you get into to throw the punch) so I'm not sure how you would tighten your legs?

We finish the step before the punch lands with seiken or jodan oi tsuki punches. Not saying it is the only way to do it, but it is how we do it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a whole world of contact before the settle. :)

Not saying it can't happen, but we do not practice it that way. Granted that the 'settle' and the 'impact' occur together, but no, we do not make contact before our stepping foot hits the ground and we establish ourselves. I'm not saying we camp out on it; it's fast; but not a mid-air strike. Again, not claiming to be right; just stating how we do it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not saying it can't happen, but we do not practice it that way. Granted that the 'settle' and the 'impact' occur together, but no, we do not make contact before our stepping foot hits the ground and we establish ourselves. I'm not saying we camp out on it; it's fast; but not a mid-air strike. Again, not claiming to be right; just stating how we do it.
I almost wonder if it is, but you aren't there yet; because, in our system, depth is always first, then height, then width. Meaning, the attack will always start just prior, and then you tweak it as it goes. Anyways, there is no true with. Bio-mechanically, something should always be first. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I almost wonder if it is, but you aren't there yet; because, in our system, depth is always first, then height, then width. Meaning, the attack will always start just prior, and then you tweak it as it goes. Anyways, there is no true with. Bio-mechanically, something should always be first. :)

I don't even know what that collection of words means. It's like you put a few sentences in a blender and this is how it came out. ;)

Joking aside, I am just going to say this once more. Your way is fine for you. It's not how we do it. If you think that's wrong, OK, no problem, you're free to think that. If you think that's not how we do it, you'd better be my sensei, because otherwise you have no standing to tell me how my system works. Are we clear?

Latest Discussions