Thuggery Vs Martial arts (a youtube clip)

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
LMAO ! Yep ! Doesn't take much. Skinhead got what he deserved. Wanker.

(Ahem.) I do, however, concure 100 % with what Brian said. To let that confrontation go on that long without ending it quickly is just inviting more trouble. Once your personal space is invaded, ESPECIALLY when your attacker lays hands on you, it's time to act. Instead of letting that skinhead guy continue his tirade, the gentleman should have taken him out hard and fast (especially HARD !!!).

Kudos to the gentleman for handling his business, though. :bangahead::knight2:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually if it was true Skinhead fasion it would be 5 skins on the one guy because most Skins fight in a group and attack like that.
At least the groups I have seen.

Aye that does seem to be true. I got off lightly in my one and only confrontation it appears ... there were only three of them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad it all worked out for him in the end.

However, allowing someone to get up right in your face and initiate a dominance role like that is very, very, very, very dangerous. (can I say
very again
icon6.gif
)
Lasted much, much too long.

And he didn't really understand that it wasn't a duel or sparring match.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He should have instantly dropped him the minute he entered his personal space.

Really?

On a side note the guy doesn't appear to be a karate master by the way he was carrying himself, and by the way the situation was progressing until the end.

It's very hard to judge from a tape what the whole circumstances were--encounters earlier that night, security presence, friends of the offending party, who has or might have a weapon on their person, whether the defender fears he's too drunk to fight well, etc.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another link for those blocked by YouTube:
http://www.forumeter.com/video/154458/Stupid-Skinhead-Messes-With-The-Karate-Master-One-Hit-K-O

I don't have sound enabled on this machine so I couldn't hear what was being said (if indeed there was audio).

He took a lot of risk standing there like that, and was nearly headbutted a few times. I think he should've popped the guy much, much sooner, but: There were obviously lots of bystanders--did he know how they'd react? Was the jerk popular in the neighborhood and the defender unpopular, and hence worried he might win the battle then but lose the war later that night? Was he concerned that the jerk had a knife/gun on him?

Did he know he could drop the guy and hence felt he was being true to Karate's ideals by using violence only as a last defense? (A romantic ideal of questionable utility, sad to say.) Or was he cowed by the jerk's energy and concerned he might lose the resulting encounter? (Sure didn't seem that way.) I ain't one to judge. I wasn't there and don't have the whole picture, and nothing succeeds like success.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, distance is your friend in that situation. that said he did handle it well, in every other way and it worked out well for him.

I am not a British subject, and so am not positive of the laws, but my understanding is that even the most unhappy prosecutor would have a hard time charging him. I hope they did how ever charge the skin head.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Idon't know if this clip has been posted on here before but it is well worth a watch to see what happens when the average thug picks on the wrong man!

Analysing this I personally think the martial artist allowed the thug to get too close and was at risk of a nasty headbutt numerous times but it was wonderful seeing how cool he kept under the pressure. When he decided enough was enough and fought back, his targeting was perfect so he was obviously managing any adrenal dump really well. He took complete control and popped the inflated ego of his attacker like a balloon!

I agree with your summary of this, and I was thinking the same thing while watching. The MAist would have been in the right to do something as soon as that punk touched him, but likewise, I do give him a ton of credit for containing himself as long as he did.

I had to laugh as the punk was getting off the ground, he was still sputtering and acting as if he had won. Typical dirtbag.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I give the guy tremendous credit for patience, but I don't agree with letting this go on so long, or letting him get so close.......to each his own, though, it was his situation, and he dealt with it in the way he felt most right. If the guy is doing his best to avoid conflict based on his moral and ethical views, I can't fault him for that.

Personally, i'd have probably dropped the guy as soon as he entered my yard yelling and screaming......but, then Missouri gives me as a property owner the authority to use physical force to eject trespassers........

.......again, ever person must take in to account what the law allows, and then factor in what they personally and morally feel most comfortable with.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really?

It's very hard to judge from a tape what the whole circumstances were--encounters earlier that night, security presence, friends of the offending party, who has or might have a weapon on their person, whether the defender fears he's too drunk to fight well, etc.

i kinda looked to me like he had to poo.

jf

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By approaching the man on his own property and yelling at him the way he did (it was hard to make out words, but I'm sure they were threats of violence), the skinhead in the video was clearly commiting assault, and once he put his hands on the defender he was commiting battery. As soon as he committed the assault by moving forward a person could have easily assumed that he was planning some kind of attack, so I'd have dropped him the minute he entered my personal space with the way he was behaving and then gone inside, lock the door and call the police.

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He is definitely a better man than I and most other people. He definitely knew that with great power comes great responsibility.

I've felt like this before in threatening situation in bars. I would just stare at the person calmly, patiently waiting for the person to throw the first blow. It never comes since I don't even respond to his rantings. I do this because I feel like I can drop the guy if I need to and don't feel the need to pick on someone not as practiced as i. This is probably what he was feeling. He knew he could take the guy out.

He probably wouldn't have just stood there if the guy was way bigger than him and looked a punishing God.

thumbs up to him.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you think he would have reacted in this SITUATION.

...and the dominoes fall.
------------------------------------------------------------------

side note:

A lot of people will just stand there when being screamed at thinking that this is the best way to de-escalate the situation, but sometimes this "inaction" can be taken as a non verbal challenge of dominance.

In my dojo we practice de-escalation drills by having someone yell at you as lond as possible and you matching their volume with the continuous use of the words "what do you want!?" over and over again slowly bringing the volume level down until the yelling becomes more subdued. What this does is force a person confronting you to a) match your voice and b) get into "thinking brain" which causes them to stop screaming and start talking more reasonable. All tghe while we are doing this we prepare for physical attack because once that fist rises or they rush us, the time for non-violence has passed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, under British law ( that means English and Scottish law) you are allowed a pre emptive strike if you feel you are in danger of your life. The chav actually was committing a crime, "threatening behavior" as well as maybe 'breach of the peace" as there were people watching. I could probably come up with a couple of other things if I'd been in a position to see or hear what the householder had to say.

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people will just stand there when being screamed at thinking that this is the best way to de-escalate the situation, but sometimes this "inaction" can be taken as a non verbal challenge of dominance.

A very good point, some times just standing there and not responding can esculate a situation very quickly. If people can put themselves in the other persons shoes and imagine that they are really pissed with someone and want that someone to know that they are pissed and why they are pissed but that person is just staring blankly back at them and not responding! How frustrated would they feel??

A genuine sounding apology and validation of the angry persons feelings (whilst maintaining your fence) can de-esculate a situation a lot more effectively than ignoring the persons anger. Though, I can see why the "calm silence approach" is often favoured as when the adrenine rush comes and the thinking brain is closing down it becomes very hard to communicate effectively and the words just don't come so it is often easier for people to use the emotionless, no response approach. It takes practice to verbally de-esculate someone when under pressure. Also, I think for some people presenting themselves as calm and emotionless is their way of detaching themselves from the situation and managing their adrenal dump.

So though I personally don't favour it I can see why people do it. However people who use it should be aware that it is not a de-esculation technique as it can be viewed as passive aggression and is just another form of posturing and psyching out your opponent. So if you just stand there, emotionless and say nothing and the aggressor walks away, it is not that you have de-esculated and calmed that person down but more that you have beaten your opponent mentally by psyching them out. A bit like two cats fighting who never hit each other, they just keep shifting position and posturing until one decides to give in and retreat. I'm not knocking it, as if it works it works, but it is still fighting and not de-esculation.

In my dojo we practice de-escalation drills by having someone yell at you as lond as possible and you matching their volume with the continuous use of the words "what do you want!?" over and over again slowly bringing the volume level down until the yelling becomes more subdued. What this does is force a person confronting you to a) match your voice and b) get into "thinking brain" which causes them to stop screaming and start talking more reasonable. All tghe while we are doing this we prepare for physical attack because once that fist rises or they rush us, the time for non-violence has passed.

Sounds like an interesting drill and I think it is excellent that you practice verbal de-esculation under pressure in your dojo. From my experience in mental health nursing I personally would not match the volume in the beginning as that can still present as aggressive but instead start at a calm, lower volume in the first place as by doing this people do still tend to match your tone of voice eventually if you maintain it.

I love the idea of using a question to engage their thinking brain! That sounds like a really good idea and I can imagine it working well. Even if it fails to de-esculate them it could still prove a useful distraction before a pre-emptive strike.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my instructors favourite things is to ask someone who is screaming at him etc ( it happens a lot he does the doors in Newcastle) a seemingly random question like what colours custard, what's your mums name or who won the football. He says it gives you that vital couple of seconds to distract so you can hit them, it also makes them open their mouths to speak therefore making a KO even more likely or at least a broken jaw lol!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, Tez --

Can you give a definition or explanation of "chav"? I get kind of what it is in context, but it's not real clear. Doesn't seem to really be part of the Skinhead movements.

Latest Discussions