Throws In Self Defense

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that it is preferable to refrain from throws while other moves are possible. However, when someone gets in really close, inside your defensible position, then throws can come in very handy. It also depends a lot on body type. Different people will have to figure out when and what type of a throw suits them best.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
In that situation, the throw was both useful, and entertaining. It also demonstrates that not all SD situations will be life-and-death confrontations, and that bouncers have slightly skewed ideas of what is a suitable workplace prank.

LMAO!

I learned (as a bouncer) to use controled throws to great effect, but most of them start with a stunning blow (like into the doorframe of the exit?) so that I don't wind up going down with them. I love throws in self defense situations so long as I am in control before the clinch / contact begins. I don't ever want to find myself fighting on the ground in a street fight if I can help it.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To me, throws are integral to self defense. The reason to use force against another is to create an opportunity to clear the danger zone. And nothing says ..."It's time to go" ... like putting your attacker on the ground. Assault stats tell us attackers are extremely lazy, they're looking for easy targets, they don't want to exert too much energy. Putting them on the ground provides the defender with an extra measure of safety while they move to a place of safety.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I favor the neck throws, for self defense. Just don't get too excited about using them because you don't want to break someone's neck.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the throw, situation, and your proficency on whether they are applicable in a real situation.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not really but sabaki isn't that bad which accounts for allot of it ;) I more of a striker myself.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark said:
Not really but sabaki isn't that bad which accounts for allot of it ;) I more of a striker myself.
Yeah Tai Sabaki is key to about everything I think. If you develop that you are doing extremely well. Its getting people to understand its purpose that can be difficult. I am glad to see more and more people truly understanding its purpose.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
It's also possible that successfully throwing an attacker could have a greater demoralizing efect on them--if you strike someone and don't produce a knockdown or knockout, they A) are still standing and thus still mobile, and B) know how hard you can hit and aren't afraid anymore.

Putting them feet, body, hands off the ground and into something harder than anything you were born with A) gives you time to run/follow up as appropriate and B) sends a somewhat stronger psychological message that they just got taken *down*.

Now with all that being said, there's aleways that rare guy who is either immune enough to pain or wants to hurt you so bad they just don't care......not over till it's *over*.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have the archives of Kano-Yushiba-Otsuka_tenger- have anyone seen these & what they think is the most effective for the situation today.Not for that time but in todays time.There are more grapplers now & throws are a bit of challange.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you don't know anything about throws and takedowns? You will be in more trouble!

Best to learn as much as you can! About takedowns and throws!

The whole idea is to take them off balance and give you the advantage when it presents it-self to you!

In a clinch or holds...you better know how to defend against these in close attacks...if your attacker is train for throws/takedowns...you will be the one going to the ground the hard way!

Do not limit your training? .....if your school do not practice these? ...find one that does....Judo is good,Bjj, hapakido, and many others, in our Kempo class..every technique can lead to take takedowns/throws.

IN fighting..any goes..total chaos...you will be taken down if your attacker is knowledgeable or lucky to get you there......BEAWARE of throws/takedowns.......................Aloha

Latest Discussions