Throws In Self Defense

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using throws or techniques which involve throws, in a self defense situation? Like everything, I feel that they have their place. I think a bit of caution should be exercise due to the fact that some serious injury could result upon the person hitting the ground.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
What are your thoughts on using throws or techniques which involve throws, in a self defense situation? Like everything, I feel that they have their place. I think a bit of caution should be exercise due to the fact that some serious injury could result upon the person hitting the ground.

If it is a true self-defense situation, meaning the intent to cause me physical harm is obvious, I am in favor them. IF the opportunity presents itself. One caution that comes to mind however, is the risk of being pulled to the ground as well. While I feel competent in my ground skills, it's not where I would prefer to defend myself.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
While I feel competent in my ground skills, it's not where I would prefer to defend myself.

Amen Henderson..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed!! Not applying the throw properly, we could certainly find ourselves in a much worse position than we originally had. And yes, I too, would prefer not to have to defend myself from the ground.

Mike

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The throws I use (some seen in my dvd now on post for all to see)are internal.Hence if they dont have the intent to hurt me or other -they fall any direction I desire & no harm to them.However if they choose to up grade to harm the throw automaticly dose harm to them.I do nothing more then release what is give,some times I do demo (How to borrow there energy not give & use as a throw also.)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a brown belt in Judo and I currently practice hapkido and tae kwon do. I think it is obvious my feelings about throwing.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some work better then others, most are effective a clinch range...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big proponent of throws for self defense when applicable. The environment and situation obviously dictate the response to the attack, but the use of unexpected ground impact has a strong shock value and may be all that's needed to stall the attack and escape.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey my demo video is up on post page 4 I beleave now.Search monkey & see the throws I use.I dont do as the say Judo or Akido, but more of a leverage & not great distance.Its effective for me though.Enjoy.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that hrows can be effective in self-defense as long as you understand their primary function in that regard which is to place the opponent in a position from which he is unable to adequately defend himself (so you can pummel him into dogmeat while he's down).

At the same time, I would caution about going to the ground (deliberately or otherwise) because many, perhaps most, scumbags rarely fly solo when they attack. If you're busily engaged wrestling your opponent on the ground, his buddies won't stand around and admire the spectacle...

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
Personally, I'm a big proponent of throws for self defense when applicable. The environment and situation obviously dictate the response to the attack, but the use of unexpected ground impact has a strong shock value and may be all that's needed to stall the attack and escape.

Bang on the money..in Hapkido we obviously use throws and during said throws, according to circumstance, we will intentionally direct the attacker into a disclocation/break/stun position as they land.

Reasons being is the ground will always be able to hit harder than I can,and gravity is always 100%.Learn to use it well and it can become a great aid to your SD.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
I believe that hrows can be effective in self-defense as long as you understand their primary function in that regard which is to place the opponent in a position from which he is unable to adequately defend himself (so you can pummel him into dogmeat while he's down).
They can also provide a perfect opportunity to get the hell out of there!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe throws are an excellent part of learning self defense- especially when you know when to execute one. Not all situations will require a throw.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
throws can take the "hart" out of you opponent.
and as some have already said some work better than others
It also depends on how often you do them and how naturally they happen

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll outline a situation that happened at work a while ago.

One co-worker decided to choke out another one, as a bit of a joke. He waited until his victim walked past, then leapt onto his back and applied a rear naked choke. The 'victim' flipped the attacker over, dropped him on the ground and choked him out himself. There was perhaps ten seconds between the 'attacker' initiating the attack and him waking up on the floor.

In that situation, the throw was both useful, and entertaining. It also demonstrates that not all SD situations will be life-and-death confrontations, and that bouncers have slightly skewed ideas of what is a suitable workplace prank.

Ants

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a cop in NZ and would generally advise if it is a SD situation do what you have to so that you can reasonably defend yourself. If your intent is to defend yourself by throwing someone and they happen to land on a particularly nasty street curb and hurt themselves badly well that is is just bad luck for them.

It is all about intent and what is reasonable in the circumstances.

Your intent should not necessarily be to cause them great harm but to incapacitate so that you or another are no longer in danger from that person.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
monkey said:
The throws I use (some seen in my dvd now on post for all to see)are internal.

monkey said:
Hey my demo video is up on post page 4 I beleave now.Search monkey & see the throws I use.

monkey said:
Want to see some throws--go to search & type in monkey & see some of my 2004-6 seminar & more.

I don't usually do this, but.......enough already! Yes. We know some video of you doing something has been posted. We know. We know. We know. I tried to be nice, and give the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting really annoying now.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Didnt know if youve seen it.Some may not & may give an open view on how I did the throws.I thought this was a forum were Ive seen over 500 read 1 post.Or is it just a club for we only a few people click on 1 topic 500 times.Most forums have wide acces & new people joining daily.How would they know if I had footage of throw-if it was not told of.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like throws, and sometimes they are very useful. But in an actual fight I've never used a major throw ... I like to use what I call knockdowns. They aren't really throws or takedowns.

I drive the head around and stomp on the back of the knee to collapse the attacker ... even if they hold on to me (which is almost never) I can drop a knee into their chest.

For those who like to try tackling me I reserve 3/4 nelsons and a pancake or crossfaces with a pancake or low wheel throws.

Stomping the legs is always a good time when you'd like someone off their feet for a bit. Iside the ankle, inside the leg just above the knee, and behind or to the outside of the knee are my favorite spots. Used in conjunction with upper body grappling (tuite / chin na) or turning the head they can be very effective.

Latest Discussions