threadsurrections!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
hello new MT users, & welcome!

there is a blue header at the top of each post. at the left side of this header, is the date & time that the post was written. as you cruise through the forum, please check the latest date on a thread before you post on a thread. if the thread is more than a month or two old, it might be best to start a new thread if you would like to discuss the topic, or simply read it & let it stay in the archives. resurrected threads seldom get much of a response anyway.

once again, welcome!

jf

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kind of a double-edged sword, innit? If a new member starts a thread with a topic that has been discussed before, they are often given links to the previous thread(s), the implication being that they should have done a search on the topic before starting a new thread. On the other hand, if they reply to a thread that is several years old, they run the risk of having someone respond with "why is this old thread being resurrected?"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are definitely two schools of thought. I'm for threadcromancy, myself. Good threads are like volcanoes: dormant, not dead.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
it is double edged indeed. i really don't mind it on some of the slower forums (western martial arts, etc), however i'll often see old threads resurrected when there is a new thread of a similar topic already up. also, i know that before i started to notice the date stamp, i was posting on all these threads & wondering why i wasn't getting any response.

just letting the new folks know that we love having them, but dragging up years old threads doesn't always further the discussion.

jf

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to see the old ones kicked up myself, the catch being when someone resurrects a 3 yr old argument and wonders why the long since departed OP doesn't reply.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
fair enough. resurrect all you want, but be aware of the date :)

jf

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The cool thing about MT is that if there are old threads that get posted to, they can be ignored like any other post or thread, even those from myself. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's some good stuff buried here. Apart from digging up old grudges, thread revival is to be encouraged! There's nothing wrong with starting a new "What color is your gi?" thread every few months, but for some of the in-depth discussions of the origin of an art, why not read through hand get the facts first, then keep the discussion together?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will admit that I like it when somebody reanimates the old threads. It reminds me of all those folk who have now vacated the MT building :) I wonder what happened to OnlyEnEgg and Gemini and... Anyway, that is not suggesting that people do not search first in case the same subject has previously been broached.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Latest Discussions