Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NEW CONTEST!!!

December 2005 : Most Helpful Thread

So our last contest was such a big success we decided to continue right along again giving away another Supporting Membership.

So….

For the next two weeks (until December 7) send Lisa a pm nominating what you think is the most informative Martial Arts related thread on MT. A thread that taught you something, clarified misconceptions, opened a whole new horizon for you as an Maist, or was just full of good information. Please include a link to the thread.

Restriction: So that we can award the writer their prize, the Original Post must be by a current MT member (ie it doesn't say guest/closed/banned by their handle), but can be from any date (even the 'old days' back in 2001).

At the end of the two weeks, we will set up a poll that all the MT members can vote on. The winner, again, will receive a one-year Supporting Membership to Martial Talk courtesy of the MT Mentors. (Contest will end December 21)

Thank you.

Notes:
Contest clarified to be Most Useful Thread
Awards will be given to the original thread starter of the winning thread, and to the person who nominated the thread.
In the event that a thread of mine, or that I nominate wins, all entrants (except me) will be put into a drawing so that 2 prizes can be awarded.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, gives folks an incentive to dig around. We have almost a half million posts here, y'know. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Tough contest, because there are a lot of buried posts that have been very informative over the years!

Definitely. I've benefitted from many great posts--I wouldn't know how to choose just one! But it's a great idea for a contest.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, suggest a few. If you've got 2-3, send them in. :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arrgg.... no making me think right now :p

I like the contest, should pull a few good zombies from thier graves :D

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is going to be one tough contest. I hope it gets everyone digging deep into the archieves and bringing out burried threads that need a good bump to the top again.

I have a couple in mind, but will hold off until I hear from the members. :)

My pm box is empty awaiting your nominations!

p.s. if in the pm you want to give a reason why you think it is a good thread to help others see where you are coming from, that would be appreciated as well.

Lisa

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A second prize has been added to this contest.

The member who suggests the winning article will also receive a 1 yr Supporting Membership.

:)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Stomach full of turkey? Thankful for all you have?

Good. :D

Time to get to work again ;)

I have only one nomination for Most Helpful Post.

I am bumping this to the top so people can get to work and send me their links. I know MT has MANY excellent threads. Others need to see them! Lets get this show on the road!

Thanks! :wavey:

Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First two nominations:

OnlyAnEgg's thread:Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan
Great content on kata/forms, good dialogue regarding differences in stances, etc.

MJ-hi-yah's thread: Through a Rapists eyes
Great advice on self defense, dialogue on do's and don't, LEO advice and plenty of experiences shared by members.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard's Thread: Knife making - newbie questions
Good question and answer about knife making.

Brother John's Thread: Talk to your teachers
The thread is a good reminder to all instructors to remember there are many reasons women join the martial arts. We could all be a little more aware.

Keep them coming people!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The restriction to current members is unfortunate, as some of my favorites are from a few years back and were made by now-departed members!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi's thread: New guy lookin gfor advice fromthose over 30
Great thread nomination because "as we all grow older we must each in turn deal with the mental and physical changes that will affect us as martial artists. This post transcends individual style to directly address an unavoidable force in our lives".

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The restriction to current members is unfortunate, as some of my favorites are from a few years back and were made by now-departed members!

I totally understand where you are coming from. There are some great threads out there that are defunked by the rules. Equally so are the threads from the LLR. I would love to nominate a few of those, but can't cause they are not accessible to everyone. :(

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to give an award to someone who has left.

Minor change: contest is now Most Helpful Thread

Hope that'll clear things up. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well not to sound biased but I think the MACaver (caving) thread should win it... after-all... it's informative, fun, has lots of pretty pics... and shows another physical work-out to supplement your regular MA routine.

I mean geez... could there BE any other winner... :rolleyes:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Equally so are the threads from the LLR. I would love to nominate a few of those, but can't cause they are not accessible to everyone. :(
Well perhaps a nudge in the right direction/ribcage could allow the ladies of the LLR to have their own separate contest for that... I mean ya'll just don't talk just about us guys right? Soooo...

Latest Discussions