Thoughts on the "what martial art should I take for self-defense" question

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
because we are talking about populations and as far as those go its a toss of a coin who wins

even my own data is in comparison to the average of the population. most people are more or less the same, thats what distribution curve of human populations tells us, i dont need everybody data to know that

But you have averaged the population then added your extra stats. You are double dipping.

That is obvious and I don't even do stats.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you have averaged the population then added your extra stats. You are double dipping.

That is obvious and I don't even do stats.
but im above average, if i know what the mean average is, then i know the distribution, if i know how far above the mean average i am, i know how many people are better and how many are worse

circa 68% of people are average any random attack is likely to consist of two average people, coz there a lot more of them, any random attack on me has an odds on of being someone less able than i am, as there are far more of those than those who are superior

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but im above average, if i know what the mean average is, then i know the distribution, if i know how far above the mean average i am, i know how many people are better and how many are worse

circa 68% of people are average any random attack is likely to consist of two average people, coz there a lot more of them, any random attack on me has an odds on of being someone less able than i am, as there are far more of those than those who are superior

So are other people. But you included them to get your average.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but you cannotbuse another bs, to force your arguement home, because it bs

Yes I can. I am adding evidence. The more I add the less BS it becomes. That is called weight of evidence.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have actually nearly been ran over several times, so those do indeed classify as "deadly" situations. So i do indeed have some experence. :p
No, unless you have actually put some form of training to the test, you have analogy, and dreams, you have what you have heard the big boys talk about, until you push yourself, or put into practise what you talk about, its theory, you are entitled to your opinion, but its just that, many here have put years into an art, or many arts, and for you to dismiss it, with little or no training, makes your opinion something that rhymes with runt.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I can. I am adding evidence. The more I add the less BS it becomes. That is called weight of evidence.
This isbyour evidence based on your instructors teachings, I meant what I said last night, I was supposed to go to the US this late August/september, but current talks and restrictions, mean this may not be possible, my air ticket provider, would rather gife me an alternative, rather than refund, never been to oz, but would like to, as the Uk and oz are talking about air corridors, I am fascinated, to see, if my tma/military training, plus another load of stuff, can stand up to your superior training, I have no interest in hurting you, just pressure testing myself, against our current beliefs, followed by beer, bbq, and chat, if you are better than me great (£1000 says you aint), if I am better than you, I will bye you a beer, or 4, to show you there are no bad feelings, we could film our training and encounters, and do a daily blog, and put it on mt, at least we will know for sure, if BA (british airways play ball).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isbyour evidence based on your instructors teachings, I meant what I said last night, I was supposed to go to the US this late August/september, but current talks and restrictions, mean this may not be possible, my air ticket provider, would rather gife me an alternative, rather than refund, never been to oz, but would like to, as the Uk and oz are talking about air corridors, I am fascinated, to see, if my tma/military training, plus another load of stuff, can stand up to your superior training, I have no interest in hurting you, just pressure testing myself, against our current beliefs, followed by beer, bbq, and chat, if you are better than me great (£1000 says you aint), if I am better than you, I will bye you a beer, or 4, to show you there are no bad feelings, we could film our training and encounters, and do a daily blog, and put it on mt, at least we will know for sure, if BA (british airways play ball).

Byron Jacobs isn't my instructor he is a Chinese kung fu guy.

And yeah. Airlie beach is a very good holiday destination.you should make the trip.

D

Deleted member 39746

No, unless you have actually put some form of training to the test, you have analogy, and dreams, you have what you have heard the big boys talk about, until you push yourself, or put into practise what you talk about, its theory, you are entitled to your opinion, but its just that, many here have put years into an art, or many arts, and for you to dismiss it, with little or no training, makes your opinion something that rhymes with runt.

As i stated, diverting the argument to my own circumstance is potetionally a fallacy. It can be a strawman if its not the argument in question, appeal to authorty or ad hominen. (or any mix of, those come to mind as common occurancies)

See now if you have dumped years and years into doing something, you should be able to describe why it works as opposed to something that i have written, there should be no need to go into a strawman, appeal to authorty, ad hominen etc. The issue is, its mostly opinion on the other end as well.

Not fully related but pet peeve of mine: Appeal to authorty is bad when a "mc dojo" does it, but not when a "legitimate" martial art does it. Or any fallacy for that matter. (not accusing anyone, but its a sort of thing i have seen)

Addendum: Forgot to add this, but you assume i do not put information to the test, i dont see it as fully relating to the point i made, but need to relay thats a assumption of yours.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As i stated, diverting the argument to my own circumstance is potetionally a fallacy. It can be a strawman if its not the argument in question, appeal to authorty or ad hominen. (or any mix of, those come to mind as common occurancies)

See now if you have dumped years and years into doing something, you should be able to describe why it works as opposed to something that i have written, there should be no need to go into a strawman, appeal to authorty, ad hominen etc. The issue is, its mostly opinion on the other end as well.

Not fully related but pet peeve of mine: Appeal to authorty is bad when a "mc dojo" does it, but not when a "legitimate" martial art does it. Or any fallacy for that matter. (not accusing anyone, but its a sort of thing i have seen)

Addendum: Forgot to add this, but you assume i do not put information to the test, i dont see it as fully relating to the point i made, but need to relay thats a assumption of yours.
the problem is rat, that in almost any topic specific forum, you would be laughed off the internet for giving detailed opinions on something you had very little experience of,,

if i went on the landrover forum to get gear box advice and you told me how to fix it, but it turned out you had not only never done it, but had never owned a land rover, id consider you a buffoon

if it was a rock climbing forum, and i wanted advice on how to free climb a 200 foot cliff and you had never managed to get more than 12 foot of the ground, and were basing it all on watching people climb on you tube, then id treat you and your advice with complete contempt.

if i wanted to know how to bake a flan and you gave advice on watching your gran do it. then.....

i could carry on for a very long time

why do you think, your views on martial arts shouldnt be considered in much the same way ?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the problem is rat, that in almost any topic specific forum, you would be laughed off the internet for giving detailed opinions on something you had very little experience of,,

if i went on the landrover forum to get gear box advice and you told me how to fix it, but it turned out you had not only never done it, but had never owned a land rover, id consider you a buffoon

if it was a rock climbing forum, and i wanted advice on how to free climb a 200 foot cliff and you had never managed to get more than 12 foot of the ground, and were basing it all on watching people climb on you tube, then id treat you and your advice with complete contempt.

if i wanted to know how to bake a flan and you gave advice on watching your gran do it. then.....

why do you think, your views on martial arts shouldnt be considered in much the same way ?
Good one Jobo.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Seems like some folks on this forum came to the defense of the “professor.“ Someone who doesn’t have direct experience, but know about things. You guys can’t have it both ways. Why aren’t you guys laughing off the folks who teach self defense without experience? Funny how things work sometimes. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems like some folks on this forum came to the defense of the “professor.“ Someone who doesn’t have direct experience, but know about things. You guys can’t have it both ways. Why aren’t you guys laughing off the folks who teach self defense without experience? Funny how things work sometimes. :)
You touch on the heart of most forums. A collective of minds; some seeking knowledge, some who have knowledge, and some who have the correct knowledge.

D

Deleted member 39746

I would revise your choice of action if that was the case instead of consutling a mechnic. (x 3 just replace mechanic)

This is pretty much a strawman as to why not attacking the argument is fallicious. Thats all i care to reply to this with, as i know the rabbit holes these arguments go down and it is completely off topic.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
because you seem to eant to take issue, with things you dont understand, micj as rats explains things he doesnt understand.

somewhere some where on earth is the mythical dojo, that teaches magic to th3 delisional, if you track it down il jo8n you in condeming it.

the rest of us are just doing out best with what we have available what we want to do, what we enjoy,

it may or may not be as effective as what you do, we may ir may not be able to take you in a fight, that not realky the issue, to be better than steve, is it ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would revise your choice of action if that was the case instead of consutling a mechnic. (x 3 just replace mechanic)

This is pretty much a strawman as to why not attacking the argument is fallicious. Thats all i care to reply to this with, as i know the rabbit holes these arguments go down and it is completely off topic.

i got excelent advice from the landrover forum on repairing my gearbox, that how it wirk you find a topic you need to know about and someone with some actual exsperiances gives you free advice

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@Steve

thank you, i have seen many self defense programs fail in this area. People ive met that tell me theyve taken self defense are like "oh i know how to get out of a wrist grab" which is great, but one of my students when asked by here church group when they found out she took a few self defense classes, she was like "i look for things like exit routes when i go places"

our self defense program really addresses thing like this, some examples of topics we teach

loan shark tactics - when people give you information about themselves so that you will feel compelled to give them information that they could use against you later

we watch/read interviews with criminals on why they choose a man or a woman to rob

party safety - avoiding salty foods cause it doesnt slow down alcohol absorbtion, if your going to leave a place with someone to have sex or drugs at least tell a friend where youre going

handling racism/sexism/etc in the work place and sutble things to do against sexual harrasement

most all of our knife cirriculum is based on cctv footage of knife attacks

to name a few

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you add your above average.

Double dipping,
no 8 average it out and then see where i am in the average, ! its what they did if you ever took a qualification.

if my admittedly slightly subjective assement is anywhere near correct, then there id greater than a three to one chance, that any attacker is physical inferior to myself, thers an extremly high but not determined % chance, that he is untrainibg in the ary of fighting, so all in all im doing ok

Last edited: