Thinking about starting kickboxing, need your help!

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by vai91, Jun 9, 2018.

1. vai91

vai91 White Belt

Wow man, thank you so much. There's so much good advice here. I'm stunned by all the positive answers and people actually sharing their life experiences in order to help me deal with my issues. If only a portion of this kind of acceptance translates into a kickboxing gym, I'll be glad to never miss a training session.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Most gyms, youll see this support. Possibly because you have to be humble at the beginning of training, in just about every dojo/gym ive been to, the people are friendly/nice/inviting, and understanding of whatever a new persons limits/abilities are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 3rd Black Belt

Indeed. People with inflated egos or bad attitudes don't usually last long in Martial Arts training. One of the things I've glad to have learned during my training was learning how to take a hit and not immediately collapse. My instructor is very insistent on us being able to take hits as well as give them out. Hell, in our last training session he had 6 of us in the ring, with 1 person defending against the other 5. The defender wasn't allowed to fight back, and so had to move and block as much as possible to take as little damage as possible.

Learning how to take a punch and not fall, and learning how to fall correctly are important skills both in the ring and on the street.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

For a place where people practice to punch and kick another human, one would think that it would be the other way around. Granted there are some gyms that are violent and negative, but the majority of them aren't. Then you go to places who champion only peaceful solutions and civilize behavior and you'll find some of the most hateful and negative behaviors. The behavior that we see in the U.S, congress and U.S. elections (elections in general regardless of country) would never be tolerated in many martial arts schools and gyms. Even my worst experiences with Martial Arts schools fall short of the crap that goes on in other organizations.

5. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Hopefully some of the things that have been said in this thread will help you improve things. When you start training, "train honestly." By this I mean you are going to be in that gym for about an hour or maybe more, so you might as well give it your best shot with your training. This way your time is well spent and you'll benefit from the training. When things get though then push through. The same mentality that it takes to push through doubt and uncertainty will be the same mentality that is you'll use in life, when there is doubt and uncertainty. It's the same skill set, but it's applied to a non martial arts situation. People are sometimes amazed at how I "push through" at work, much of that comes from my training and "pushing through" when I feel lazy and don't want to train.

6. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

Many people pick up a martial art to learn to fight. Kickboxing is a fine choice to that end.

The true benefits come in another shape and size though. Just do it, you'll probably be glad you did.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

The most important self-defense skill is to protect your head not to be punched. You should start from there first.

8. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

And if he is too busy training and getting his life on track there should be less drinking with the sort of scumbags who will pick on people.123

• Like Like x 3