Things that are ridiculous in Martial Arts

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you survived, too.

Drunk teenagers. They are such a royal pain in the butt. But we were never misguided enough to be that way in public. Heck, at nineteen I worked the first time as a bouncer in a huge gin mill nightclub. Fortunately, there were dozens of us, I was the youngest.

So, I'm curious.....if you were bouncing now and ran into a nineteen year old drunken you.....how would that turn out?

I learned at a very young age, having an alcoholic father, being drunk effected your perception, and abilities, so whilst I enjoyed a beer to two, I always kept my wits about me. I did get some agression from my father, who was the last in a long line of boxers/showman that used to travel the uk with a boxing ring, and charged a shilling to fight them, and if you won, you would win a crisp White £5 note in us terms pay 25 cents win $20 back into 60's

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. If you get caught in that dynamic you are in a lot of trouble.

So in a fight you have about two seconds to pull a rabbit out of your hat or your night is over.
What? No disengaging to catch your breath and reset? No Sugar Ray Leonard type dancing around, throwing a flurry, then backing out again (and doing that a few times)?

I’ve been lied to :arghh:

Truth is people get too comfortable in sparring because they can do all those things, and they think they can fight. Nope. Fighting is at very close range, little to no “blocking,” get inside quickly, drop him even quicker, and get the F outta’ Dodge. A lot of people in the dojo hate sparring me because that’s what I’m after. I’m looking to get into that Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots range and stay there; they’re looking for some distance. Unless you’re 6’5, you’re not going to control that long range in a fight. Even at 6’5, there’s no guarantees.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What? No disengaging to catch your breath and reset? No Sugar Ray Leonard type dancing around, throwing a flurry, then backing out again (and doing that a few times)?

Truth is people get too comfortable in sparring because they can do all those things, and they think they can fight. Nope. Fighting is at very close range, little to no “blocking,” get inside quickly, drop him even quicker, and get the F outta’ Dodge. A lot of people in the dojo hate sparring me because that’s what I’m after. I’m looking to get into that Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots range and stay there; they’re looking for some distance. Unless you’re 6’5, you’re not going to control that long range in a fight. Even at 6’5, there’s no guarantees.

See I don't so that I avoid exactly that sort of engagement.

That way I Don need to out power, out cardio and absorb as much damage and risk.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are a powerful guy, stick and move, rock me and sock em is okay, a bit one dimensional, how would you deal with a counter puncher.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Totally agree. I'm a TKD guy so I love range but have enough other experience to not have to have it all the time. Just hangs some people up when sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a comparison between rules and no rules.

The Russians trained by competing in sports fighting arenas with rules and refs.

And came out and basically murdered the English who trained by fighting in disorganized street brawls.

That is the difference in discipline, toughness and technique.

D

Deleted member 34973

My heart goes out to you, bro. I didn't realize your background. Not much worse than being homeless, except being homeless as a kid.

I'm glad you survived.
I am as well. But, we are the product of our experiences and is probably why, I am so anal about reality and sport. But, it is one of the reasons I stay on martialtalk, different perspectives, from my fellow martial artist. Does change my mind on subjects, even if it appears not too.

You guys are straight up and honest, something that is a rarity in this day and age.

Hell, I grapple more since I have seen intelligent opinions on martialtalk, about the importance of a good ground defense.

D

Deleted member 34973

Why?

You really only need to stop them from being able to function. And as soon as they are not functional even a bit. It throws the advantage massively in your favor.

If they can't function they can't attack you.

It is a more efficient method.

I will answer your why? as well, simply because if you break them, they will not come back for a second round.

In those situations, for me, it was never to just win, I wanted to make sure that they (attackers) would not want to come back for a second try.

But, I stop once they are out, our broken, whichever came first.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are a powerful guy, stick and move, rock me and sock em is okay, a bit one dimensional, how would you deal with a counter puncher.
Overwhelm, jam, angles, lateral movement instead of backing up, chin tucked, hands up, that sort of thing. It’s all about being comfortable in that range, and most strikers aren’t comfortable in that range.

I’ve been in my share of fights. I’ve never been able to disengage and re-engage. I’ve knocked a few out of that close range, but I quickly closed in and followed up. I’ve never been in a fight that lasted more than several seconds. With the exception of school yard fights, it’s never been like a boxing match where it was throw some jabs, move around, throw a combo, move around, etc. It’s always been punch coming at me, close in and finish it.

I bartended for several years and frequented bars that had a few fights every night for even longer. Practically every fight started the same way - grabbing and shoving with some punches thrown from there, or a long range haymaker followed by the distance closing very quickly (unless the person was dropped, which happened often enough).

Watch the range in Mike Tyson’s KOs. With the exception of the few long range KOs, this was the typical range. And the actual exchanges were the typical amount of time I’ve seen fights last. Maybe I lived in a vacuum and none of this was normal anywhere else?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a comparison between rules and no rules.

The Russians trained by competing in sports fighting arenas with rules and refs.

And came out and basically murdered the English who trained by fighting in disorganized street brawls.

That is the difference in discipline, toughness and technique.
it's not quite that simple, those with a history of " organised "football violence have their passports confiscated when there is an international tournament, sat at home in england are a good few thousand hooligans, a couple of hundred of which would have completely changed the dynamics of that fight, all your left with is a few drunks and mostly older males who haven't had a fight in decades if ever

Latest Discussions