Things I wish I would have known when I started in Kenpo?

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am an excited beginner in American Kenpo. However, I know that many of you on this forum are very experienced. I would like to gleen from your experience, if possible. So, would you share with me the "Things you wish you would have known when you started in Kenpo."?

I appreciate your sharing

- Gabe

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Things that I wish I knew when I started? That was 18 years ago... What I would say for myself back then are being more patient with myself, not hurrying with learning, practicing more at home, and studying more Kenpo history.

As it is now, I started over again after a long absence and things are going really well for me.

- Ceicei

G

getgoin

scfgabe said:
"Things you wish you would have known when you started in Kenpo."?
That my instructor isn't perfect.
Being flashy in school doesn't translate to being good on the street.
You never stop learning Kenpo, just the subject matter changes.
Don't worry about rank, it will come, make your Kenpo the best you can from the start because its all in the basics.
Get a group of students from the school to work with, more training = better kenpo.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have liked to have started earlier that way I would have more years to learn or understand this stuff better. :)

OP
scfgabe

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate your responses. I think it is great advice for me to be patient, work hard, practice a lot at home, focus on proficiency not rank, get a group together to practice more often, study Kenpo history, etc. These are the type of things I hoped I would get from posting this thread.

Thank you all for sharing your insights.

- Gabe

Latest Discussions