They won't win.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a decision Monday night.

I was listening to The Busted Halo Show. Fr. Dave and Rabbi Brad Hirschfield were discussing the recent police shootings and hate filled rhetoric from all sides. They quoted Martin Luther King about how you can't fight darkness with more darkness. They discussed scripture about how to respond to attacks on yourself.

And I realized something. The shroud was off my badge for less than 24 hours last week. There have been something like 11 or 12 of my brothers murdered in the last week -- in vicious, direct attacks on them for nothing more than doing their job. I'm filled with rage and grief and sorrow. I've seen a President who is apparently oblivious of how his reactions have fed this bonfire. I so badly want to simply say "if that's how they want it -- I'm done. I'll treat them the way they say I do."

I realized, as I listened to Fr. Dave and Rabbi Brad that I won't give the people spewing hate, the people trying to create division under the guise of promoting harmony, the people who just plain refuse to accept anything but the narrative of hate that their being fed... I refuse to give those people that power over me. I won't become what they say I am.

I'll continue to treat the people I encounter as people -- unless and until they choose to create the circumstances that demand I treat them differently. I'll continue to treat everyone with dignity and respect -- perhaps especially those who can't bring themselves to treat me that way because of the uniform I wear, the job I do, the profession I follow. I'll still do whatever I have to so that I can return home to my family at the end of the shift, make no doubt about that... but I won't let these haters make me into the monster they see me as.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made a decision Monday night.

I was listening to The Busted Halo Show. Fr. Dave and Rabbi Brad Hirschfield were discussing the recent police shootings and hate filled rhetoric from all sides. They quoted Martin Luther King about how you can't fight darkness with more darkness. They discussed scripture about how to respond to attacks on yourself.

And I realized something. The shroud was off my badge for less than 24 hours last week. There have been something like 11 or 12 of my brothers murdered in the last week -- in vicious, direct attacks on them for nothing more than doing their job. I'm filled with rage and grief and sorrow. I've seen a President who is apparently oblivious of how his reactions have fed this bonfire. I so badly want to simply say "if that's how they want it -- I'm done. I'll treat them the way they say I do."

I realized, as I listened to Fr. Dave and Rabbi Brad that I won't give the people spewing hate, the people trying to create division under the guise of promoting harmony, the people who just plain refuse to accept anything but the narrative of hate that their being fed... I refuse to give those people that power over me. I won't become what they say I am.

I'll continue to treat the people I encounter as people -- unless and until they choose to create the circumstances that demand I treat them differently. I'll continue to treat everyone with dignity and respect -- perhaps especially those who can't bring themselves to treat me that way because of the uniform I wear, the job I do, the profession I follow. I'll still do whatever I have to so that I can return home to my family at the end of the shift, make no doubt about that... but I won't let these haters make me into the monster they see me as.

People are angry, and they have a right to be angry, however they have no right to aim said anger at you. The best thing you can do is continue to be the best cop you can be and your actions will be appreciated, people will take notice and maybe even change their minds about how they currently feel about police.

Speak out agaisnt cops who abuse their power and fight (not physically) for a better police force. We are all human beings and it's not an us and them mentality like many people feel it is.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All walks of life have bad people in them.

There are bad lawyers, bad politicians, bad plumbers, bad nurses, bad electricians, bad teachers, bad janitors, bad customer service people, bad waitstaff, and so forth. Why is it that only peace officers get lumped-in as being horrible just because they have/wear a badge as a group in the way we are seeing?

There are doctors who use drugs literally minutes before walking into the operating room, as one example... yet these doctors are not castigated as a "Group" as a bunch of butchers, hacks and murderers. What's done is the one wrong-doer is found, exposed, and punished in one way or another.

Unfortunately, doctors tend to rally around other doctors... similar to officers rallying around other officers.

I would estimate in a very arbitrary fashion (based solely on my experience with officers) that at LEAST 19 out of every 20 peace officers in the US are very good, respectful, controlled men and women who treat people with respect and restraint until such time as force is required of them in order to control a situation.

It is the, most likely less than, 1 in 20 who is ruining the reputation of all. The veritable "one bad apple spoils the lot." But... the lot is not spoiled, it is just the 1 in this metaphor. Find the spoiled one, remove it, and go down the road enjoying the fruit of their labor, I think.

End of sermon.