There Is More To It Than Fighting

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see now. In short the word art is being used erronneously. Rather than art they are refering to the PURPOSE of ma.

That said ma can learned for whatever purpose you like, but you must be honest with yourself in that regard. If its for confidence ... What is it that makes you confident? If its for exercise ....lol(not even sure what say. haha)
What is marketed as confidence is generally rapid promotions, all of which have an associated testing fee.

The teacher on the hand can't be so liberal since he is teaching a martial art. His students can do as they please.

I think virtues of ma are mentioned because instructors dont want students to go look for fights. These virtues are seperate from the material itself.
There is a difference between mentioning the virutues of a martial art and using the non-martial virtues as a way of disguising the lack of content in the core area.

Also, students are often given the impression that they are able to defend themselves. Since the students have no frame of referrence and trust the word of their teacher, they never find out that they have been taught a deficient curriculum until they actually need to use their supposed skills.

False confidence is worse than no confidence.

In college there are different kinds of instructors. Some give you the material and have you learn to apply it yourself... Then you can ask questions if you like. Some would teach you ways of applying material... Both ways of teaching are ok. The student has to know what works for him.

I guess i'm saying that its the students fault if he cant apply what has learned.
In order for it to be the student's fault, he or she must first have been taught practical material that can be applied. Often such schools as I described in my post do not provide this.

However, if non of his students are capable... Then the instructor should rethink teaching.
Most assuredly.

Daniel

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is marketed as confidence is generally rapid promotions, all of which have an associated testing fee.
[/quoute]

Thats just sad.

There is a difference between mentioning the virutues of a martial art and using the non-martial virtues as a way of disguising the lack of content in the core area.

I don't know about this, man. In my experience I've heard people say they cant learn from certain arts. However, when i take a look at the forms they perform there is sooooo much gold in there. I think people just like to be spoon fed. This is the reason why so many of the old masters tested you first before they actually taught you, to see if you had the motivation.

Also, students are often given the impression that they are able to defend themselves. Since the students have no frame of referrence and trust the word of their teacher, they never find out that they have been taught a deficient curriculum until they actually need to use their supposed skills.

Thats just plain messed up.

False confidence is worse than no confidence.
Agreed.

Granted I don't have an inclination towards all ma's I do know for a fact that as long as that person analyzes and practices what he or she has learned he/she will fare well in a fight. I think a lot of peoples problems lie in the transition from using learned techniques in ideal situation to using them in a real situation.

I will use soccer in my analogy here. Some people can do dribbles, step overs and tricks when there is no one around to defend against them. However, when they are in a high pressured situation they can't pull of those moves. Why?? Because the timing has to be worked out, the instances it will work have to be worked out. They have to fail time and time again to get that worked out, so that they can utilize the skill and even then once in a while they'll fail again. Thats just learning.

It is in this area that I think the problem really lies, people don't fail enough. But then again I'm only talking from my limited personal experience and not a world wide poll so i could be completely wrong.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know about this, man. In my experience I've heard people say they cant learn from certain arts. However, when i take a look at the forms they perform there is sooooo much gold in there. I think people just like to be spoon fed. This is the reason why so many of the old masters tested you first before they actually taught you, to see if you had the motivation.
I agree, but this is not at all what I was referring to.

I was referring to schools where the teaching staff is itself deficient and does not have the capability to or the inclination to properly teach the techniques of the art, whatever art it may be. Often these teachers were never taught properly themselves, and thus have no means of properly teaching their own students.

Often these teachers are more concerned about how many gold stitched stripes are on their belt than anything else.

These teachers focus on non-martial aspects, such as confidence and the various tenets that some martial arts have. They produce students who have an Americanized pop version of Asian philosophy and behaviour code, but who are mediocre at best with regards to the actual practice of the art.

Mind you, I am very much in favor of the non-martial aspects of martial arts. These are what give the students the framework in which the art is supposed to be practiced and it helps them to be better people.

But use these as a substitute for good and proper training I do have a problem with.

Daniel

Latest Discussions