The Whip.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eskrima Digest currently has a fairly interesting thread involving the whip.

Cthulhu

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hollywood1340
Yes, yes, we've known that for years. Without a loop you have no crack. Sadly the loop still eludes we with my ten foot latigo in multiple sequences, but I'll find it! No prob with either of my eight footers.

I am pleased to report I now have a four crack sequence with my ten foot :) :) :) :) :D Maybe I'll find a way to post a vid sometime. For those intrested in buying some nice one, I suggest this site
Support your local whipster!

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great website.

I have a 10' Austrailian by Terry Jacka and an 8' nylon by Krist King, both from that site. Great whips.

My favorite though is an 8' 12 plait, kangaroo hide "American Style" bull whip by Mike Murphy, it's the most "lively" whip I've ever used.

So far, I can only pull off a three crack sequence. Love to see the vid.

-Jackal

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The sequence I have is forward, overhead, but somehow I can get four out of a "two" crack sequence. I get my first crack on my upswing, my second on my forward, my third in my transition (It's all in the pause) and my forth in my overhead, I think I can do five if I reverse my overhead ;) I'll see about that video. I personly use the good ole standby of the 10' American Latigo Swivel handle, from the site (They have it out in black now (Droooool!!!!)) I also have a cheap eight foot, my first "real" whip, and a deadly accurate eight foot two tone "masters" whip (No fall for...um..all I'm gonna say about that) that is real fun with news paper and close cuts. I think my next project will be cutting paper plates in sequence with that one :)
12' is my next one I think. I do love to wrap.
Wrapping this up! (Swish....CRACK!)

P.S. How does the Nylon handle? Wraps? Cracks? Cuts? I'm thinking of getting one.

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice. How do you form the loop on an upswing? My interest is peaked. :cool:

I used to have a 10’ swivel latigo but it would never listen to me :( . I need the fixed handle for control.

The particular nylon that I’m using (Braided Nylon Bullwhip - 8’ non-swivel handle. Code: WNB) is great. Especially since during the winter (a little over a foot of snow here in NJ ) it’s the only one I can still use outside without worrying about it getting water logged. It’s a LOT stiffer than latigo or kangaroo hide which means that even when broken in, wraps are pretty difficult to pull off. The stiffness, combined with shot loading, makes for extremely brutal cracks and cuts though. It handles differently than the other whips but is probably the best cutter that I’ve seen. The greatest difference that I’ve felt is that, compared with leather, there’s significantly less weight at the end of the thong (shot loading runs about ¾ of the thong’s length) so you lose fine control when trying to perform subtle cracks (also why wraps are tough). I’ve seen some awful nylon whips but the ones offered by WSP are well worth it in my opinion (plus, you can’t beat the price).

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Start with the whip at six, right? As you bring it up, snap your wrist. Kinda like a downward pointing sidearm crack, just on the vertical plane, instead of the horizontal. I belive it's called the underhand ;) You can wrap with this as well, I like it for low obscured tree branches. I find that using a swivel handle has it's disadvantages and it's advantages (Doesn't everything?) Overhead and reverse overhead are less technical in nature, I don't roll my wrist over as much as I should. I picked that quirk up from Karen Quest when she was in town and gave me a lesson, very cool. And I got to play with a Morgan, one of a pair of matching six footers. (moooore drool!). Also the heavy weight took some getting used to but now it's a thought and it goes. Now I must have it in black! I'm thinking 12' for wraps. Also the latigo is a great way to build shoulder strength! Was playing with it in my basement last night (Not recommended). Indy IV comes out in 571 days. I can't wait.
SHAMELESS PLUG: For more info on Indy IV, check out this link

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=283121

While out to the Riddle of steel this year, I met a man named Scott Homschek from Pa. who makes "neck whips". They are 39-41 inches long, braided from leather lacing into mini-bullwhips that are worn around the neck.

The whips have a "tail" that snaps, "pops" and the other end has an integral loop which the tail passes through to secure it as it is worn around the neck under a shirt or jacket.

S

SilatJunkie

All

Pencak Silat Pamur also uses the whip. In Indonesia it can be called a pecut but as with most things it probably comes in several names.

Not trying to detract from the current conversation, just an FYI.

Sean

www.combat-silat.net

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ebay whips.

Has anybody bought any of the whips for sale on ebay? there are cheapos for under $10, some that claim they are better than the import cheapos for under $20, and "custom made" whips at various price ranges. How do you know if your getting a good whip, or a least one that will work?

Thanks

Andy

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would stay away. I prefer Mark Allen myself for my whips. A good rep is always a good thing when buying whips. A few updates ;)
1. I got my crack sequence to seven
2. Picked up that black 10'
3. Started the Delongis System (Videos)-If you as a martial artist do not have these...you should! It's changed the way I use a whip 180 degrees. Granted it's for the long whip, but really helps to establish a feeling of sensitivity for the whip and how it moves. You can find it at www.delongis.com Also a demonstration by Mr. Tom Meadows of his short whip work on Vol. 2. Highly recommended, can't enough really.
Support your local Whipster!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finally broke down and decided to try that "under $20.00 ebay whip. I figure if its no good I'm only out 20. I'm a beginner and probably couldn't tell the difference from a $200 whip, but the thing actually works! I was pleasantly surpised when I heard the first "CRACK", (my neigbors were also surprised, but not so pleasant). Maybe if I get any better i'll move up to a better whip, but i must say that this is a good, inexpensive entry level whip for anybody wanting to try it out.

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hollywood1340,

Thanks for the link to the videos. I'll have to pick a few of them up. Now that the snow is gone and the ground is dry, I can take the whips out for a walk or two again.

I still can't get a crack off an upswing but I've developed a pretty mean backhand crack with no windup.

arnisandyz,

It's always good to start out with something inexpensive until you see if it continues to hold your interest. If so, and you're ready to upgrade - BEWARE! I hear that smoking crack is cheaper but nowhere near as addictive.

If you haven’t visited www.bullwhip.org, give it a glance.

Like Hollywood said, you can’t go wrong with Mark Allen - www.westernstageprops.com

Mike Murphy’s whips are AWESOME - www.murphywhips.com - but a little on the expensive side after he won 1st prize for bullwhip AND stockwhip at the 2003 Sydney Royal Show. I’m glad I bought mine right before he won. :) It’s still my favorite whip.

Have fun!

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
J,
You form the loop the same way as if you were doing a forward crack. Imagine pitching a softball underhand, straighten your arm as you reach full extentsion. but remember to keep your arm extended, If you bend it, you'll work the tip, never fun. The underhand wrap is nice too. Once you get your underhand it leads very nicely into a circus. Then all kinds of cool stuff.

A note on American whips. The swivel handle is an added challenge. You do lose some of the flash, but not much. And as for accuracy, well I can take down a standard piece of 'sketti in five cracks ;), and that's with a 10' latigo. My favorite trick is putting two stryrofome (sp) cups on wave masters about eight feet apaart, taking out one with a sidearm, the other with an overhead. Making it to BANG is one thing, hitting things with it is something else. Best of luck and keep us updated!
Support your Local Whipster!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Thanks for sharing the info. on it. I wonder how long it'll last!

Yeah, its not the best quality obviously. the leather on the popper is already starting to go. I heard you can replace it with nylon or a shoe string but I'm not sure about how to attach it - do you just tie it on the end?

Andy

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as a replacement popper I prefer parachute cord. Check around on the web for cracker replacements and you'll find how to attach it. Keep crackin!
Support Your Local Whipster

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Thanks Hollywood and Jackal, I'll check some of those whip sites out.

Andy
Any news?
Oh the snow is melting here in Missoula and I've staked out a patch to do some work in. My flow and transitions are much better now, having been miming whip work all winter. Anyone see Catwoman? Don't, Halle Berry is cute, but the whip work is terrible. "Look at me use my arm...look at me!" Shesh. What a waste of a rental.
Also it seems Western Stage Props got some new cowhides in that may fit the bill for a mid priced whip. Will have to pick one up. Lets keep this thread alive!
Support your local whipster!

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Snow, snow and more snow. :(
I'm only brave enough to take the nylon out.
Maybe I can set up some icicles for cutting.

Was looking through the WSP catalog the other day. I hear the shot-loaded snake whips calling, but the wallet is screaming, "Have mercy!"

C'mon Spring.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never been a big fan of the snakes, but the new cowhides look wonderful. But the questions! Australian style in two tone or the indy look? Hmmm, my poor wallet!