The Whip.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Yeah, its not the best quality obviously. the leather on the popper is already starting to go. I heard you can replace it with nylon or a shoe string but I'm not sure about how to attach it - do you just tie it on the end?

Andy
I think a particular kind of knot is best... gah! I'll have to go look at mine and see how it was done.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I think a particular kind of knot is best... gah! I'll have to go look at mine and see how it was done.
If done right, it's not a knot at all, it's away of threading the popper though the fall to make it stay. I really wish I had a camera to show how, and I guess I can try to explain ;) Of course this is only for a fall that has a hole in the end (There is another way to attach an austrailian style fall, can be found on the web) Make a loop at the very end of your popper and thread it through the hole, then loop that loop over the end of the whip and draw the remaining material through. It's now basicaly a slip knot, self tighting.
For popper material I highly suggest parachute cord. It has a nice whistle to it, pops cleanly and is cheap.
Support your local whipster!

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just bought a cheap-o leather whip from Ebay thanks to this thread. I think Jackel was right about crack being a cheaper hobby then martial arts :)

I got a few nice cracks but my goal is to strike targets with the whip.
I need to get cracken........

THanks
Jeremy Bays

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've bene thinking about a comment a Sayoc Kali instructor made, that training in the whip helps develop useful attributes for knife fighting. I want to experiment with that.
Projectiles . Using the whip will improve projectiles . My training partner has been using the whip four times a week for a couple of years , it has improved his feeding skills / his flow .... Sayoc Kali has five ranges of combat: 1) projectile range 2) long range (largo) 3) medium range (corto) 4) short range 5) grappling range . Most fights are fought at projectile/long range or short/grappling range . Projectiles are a very important part of knife fighting . In corto range , I can projectile a blade into somthing
rolleyes.gif
99 out of 100 times . That is zero rotations . At projectile range or largo range , I'm pretty good also . Not only is it important to be able to projectile blades , but you should always carry somthing to projectile , just in case you have to close on somone with a blade or aviod a close range confrontation , which would be your goal against a blade . Projectiles are a great way to accomplish that goal & the whip is a great way to improve your projectiles & your close range skills through development of flow & accuracy .... In Sayoc Kali we practice vital templates , not angles of attack . It's similar to angles of attack , but with very sprecific targets in mind . Each range is examined /isolated . We call these attacks isolations . These are the five ranges of combat/isolations . The whip is one of the ways we use to practice our projectile range & it also has the other values that I mentioned . When you see a Sayoc Kali practitioner training with the whip , he is most likely doing one of the vital templates with the whip , instead of a blade .

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, sayoc FF! I went to a few seminars with Jeff Chung so I have some idea of what you're discussing. I still haven't gotten a whip yet to try it out, however.

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very cool, sayoc FF. Looks like I'm going to have to look up info on Sayoc Kali now. :)

Samurai...told ya. ;)

I'm happy to say that on the Fourth of July this year, my friends and I were whip cracking in my backyard and our cracks beat the pants off of all the fireworks that were being set off on my street. We were pulling off cracks that where so intense, you could physically feel the sound wave at 25 ft. Good times.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Thanks for the insight, sayoc FF! I went to a few seminars with Jeff Chung so I have some idea of what you're discussing. I still haven't gotten a whip yet to try it out, however.
Thanks Arnisador ! Jeff Chung is the man ! If you don't mind I'd like to make a suggestion about the whip . You should consider starting off with a 6 foot whip at first , to learn . Then once you get your feet wet move up to an 8 footer . The 8 footers can be a ***** to handle at first .

:asian: Frank

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jackal said:
Very cool, sayoc FF. Looks like I'm going to have to look up info on Sayoc Kali now.
smile.gif

Thanks Jackal ! check out ,
sayoc.com

:asian: Frank

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I did part of the Sayoc Kali 3 of 9 video. The person was doing the 3 of 9 Vital Template with the whip. Nice work to look at.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions