The Weakest Links?

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do yall think is the most neglected form of strength training for MA?

My personal choice would be the strength of the neck...particularly the muscles which tilt the head from side to side.

I also spend time with forearm exercises using a heavy splitting axe, held by one hand at the end of the shaft.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on the martial art. Judo for instance often works the neck muscles quite a bit from what I've done. And I'm sure quite a few other grappling arts would too.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Core muscles/deep abdominal muscles.

Crunches won't get you there.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do yall think is the most neglected form of strength training for MA?

My personal choice would be the strength of the neck...particularly the muscles which tilt the head from side to side.

I also spend time with forearm exercises using a heavy splitting axe, held by one hand at the end of the shaft.

Grip strength (hands) and knees.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with XJohnX, that core strength is often not worked on enough, and as pointed out this does not mean just doing 1000 sit-ups. There are a lot of people out there with strong legs and/or upper body but they are not linked together by enough compound exercises such as deadlifts to give you a strong core and overall body strength.

I acknowledge this is probably not as of much importance to stand up styles over freestyle or grapplers but I have focused a lot on this myself as my previous martial arts training did not work on this much. Until I started on core strength I was in the same camp with a strong upper and lower frame but not "joined up" and I had felt strain a few times on the core area, albeit when doing a rushed or sloppy throw or take down.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can only speak from my own experience.
But when I started doing core training, I stopped folding like a knife when I did a high kick in muay thai.

It's also handy in Jinenkan where I use rotational force to deliver my fist strike. If my core was weak, I would lose alot of power.

But as you excellently pointed out zero, freestyles and grapplers definitly need it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
grip strength is HUGE. i've had fairly novice grapplers give me fits just because their freakish grip strength shut down a lot of my offense.

jf

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these isometric core exercises...or quasi-isometrics, as they're called?

Last edited by a moderator:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
that kind of stuff is havoc on my lower back, probably due to bad form on my part. a lot of other exercise will work your core stabilizers while hitting other muscles as well. farmer's walk is my favorite for this. my other issue is range of motion: true isometrics only strengthen within about 10% of the range where the exercise is performed. i don't know the details on quasi-isometrics, but an exercise like power cleans develops your stabilizers while developing explosive power over a wide range. i think these types of exercises would be a good supplement but i wouldn't use them for more than a warm up or supplemental training, personally.

but people aren't all the same, someone else could get tremendous results from this kind of stuff.

jf

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of these isometric core exercises...or quasi-isometrics, as they're called?

I would start with these:

They are easier to perform, plus the guy is a licensed trainer/physiotherapist. He knows what he's talking about. The exercices are standard in my courses at school and form a good foundation for harder core exercices. Like the ones in the movie you posted. A foundation is needed, because that way you'll get more proprioception of the muscles used. So then the harder ones are easier and generally less likely to cause injury.

In your movie I wouldn't do those until you have done some major other programs. Because at some points in the movie the guy performing them is already letting his lowerback hyperlordose. Which is a sign of weak lower back/core muscles.

cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our opinion..the weakest link is the "endurance" to last in an all out adrenline fight mode...

....Core strenghts also is listed as second..!

Combat condition by Matt Furey ...a good source of more information on this!

Aloha, ...once tired? ....techniques means "nothing" ....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I also spend time with forearm exercises using a heavy splitting axe, held by one hand at the end of the shaft.

On one hand, I think that's not a bad exercise, but be careful. After working out with a couple of guys with unbelievable grip strength... one is about 5'8", wirey but with forearms like Popeye... I decided to get to work and build up my grip. I started working out with old mattocks (the yard tools, not the guy who posts here). I also did one-ended lifts with a staff, pieces of pipe and so forth. I ended up with tendonitis and aching wrist joints that set me back in my training for months. I still haven't recovered 100%.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I ended up with tendonitis and aching wrist joints that set me back in my training for months. I still haven't recovered 100%.
Thats excellent advise...I need wrists to make a living so moderation is key.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont think anyone mentioned the much neglected Gastrocnemius. To strengthen the calves I just do my nightly run on the balls of my feet, never letting my heels touch the ground.

This hurts like hell for a few days, but I find running more enjoyable this way...and I dont get the usual stress fractures in the tibia.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Endurance is probably a bigger problem for most than specific, muscular weakness or imbalance.

But strengthening the core has got to be the most bang for your buck as a martial artist. The stronger the core, the greater the potential for power.

Joel

Latest Discussions