The value of a life....

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The big problem with that concept is that it only really deals with the "self" preservation drive in people, and that is not all that we possess. The flip side is the "species" preservation drive, and in that sense, your life may very easily be sacrificed, or at least endangered, for the good and well-being of those around you. The most obvious example is a parent protecting their child. I'm sure few of you would say that you life outweighs that of your children?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about the soldier who jumps on the grenade to save his buddies?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the soldier who jumps on the grenade to save his buddies?

What, indeed?

In the most basic sense, we honor his sacrifice and we give him the greatest respect; he is a martyr who gave his life for his comrades. Yet, we are taught by society and by our countries, that there are concepts more important than personal survival. This is a necessary brainwashing; for if it were not done, there could be no war. No one to fight it.

We speak of serious matters when we say "There are more important things than life." Are there? What matters the future of my country to me if I am dead? Will I care if a communist's flag is hoisted over my nation's capital after I'm gone? I may care now, but how can I care when I'm dead?

At birth, there is one natural imperative. To survive. Everything else is imprinted later by societal conditioning. Surviving isn't the main thing; it's the only thing.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I highly doubt that the moment the soldier jumps on the grenade it is for "God and Country".

I would "jump on the grenade" so to speak for my family.

I would go into an "active shooter" scenario because it is my duty.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to detract from anyone's actions, but the soldier who jumps on the grenade doesn't have time to think about what he's doing, if he did, he'd probably be going in the other direction.

My brother got a bronze star for driving across a minefield to save someone in desert strom. When he told me about it, I asked him what the hell he was thinking, and if he had all of a sudden gotten stupid. His response " If they had told me the minefield was there, I wouldn't have gone."

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the posters that say that life has value because of it's potential. I cannot, however, side completely with the thought that a child's life has more potential than another, longer-lived, individual.

In my time, I have seen children responsible for the deaths of others and people in middle-age turn themselves into creative, inspirational creatures. As we are based on moment-to-moment decisions to bring us to any one point, potential exists at all points in life.

However, simply listening to news in the west for a couple hours and it's easy to see that life has a bottom line. Earnings, philanthropy, profit, buying power...in the scheme of world economy, life seems to be there simply to move the money. Consider how one might see differences in the report of Bill Gates' death versus a homeless man in Chicago: one may not even get a byline.

Sadly, it typically seems to me that the dollar is winning.

Latest Discussions