Bön - the oldest spiritual tradition of Tibet

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was watching a show about Tibet this evening and it got into a religion that predates Buddhism in Tibet which is indigenous to Tibet that has some interesting origin similarities to Buddhism. It was pretty much crushed by Buddhism many years ago but it is now recognized as the fifth principal spiritual school of Tibet by the 14th Dali Lama

Bön

I find this intriguing and I am going to read more about this. Anyone that knows anything about it please post what you know.

Thanks
XS

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw much of the doc as well -- very interesting. I was intrigued by these pages they were studying in a cave dwelling.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately I missed it. :( Wish I would have known it was on.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't know much about any official lineages, but did attend two seminars by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. Like Chögyam Trungpa, he is making a tradition more accessible to Westerners. Going with an open mind (and a background in Anthropology), it was an interesting foray.

https://www.ligmincha.org/

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I saw much of the doc as well -- very interesting. I was intrigued by these pages they were studying in a cave dwelling.

It was very interesting, the thought of all of those pages just laying there for so many years and still being legible was absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately I missed it. Wish I would have known it was on.

this is a short clip form the show

Program: PBS Presents Episode: Lost Cave Temples In a remote corner of the Himalaya, in the forbidden kingdom of Mustang, a team of climbers scale cliffs to climb into mysterious caves for the first time and discover ancient cave temples lost to the modern world.

And I am thinking about picking this up

interesting, thanks

Don't know much about any official lineages, but did attend two seminars by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. Like Chögyam Trungpa, he is making a tradition more accessible to Westerners. Going with an open mind (and a background in Anthropology), it was an interesting foray.

https://www.ligmincha.org/

Also helpful, thanks

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had never heard of Bön until now... I need another thing to research like I need a hole in the head, but I'll thank you anyways Xue! I didn't have a metaphysical research project lined up, but now I do! :wink:

Latest Discussions