The use of fans (kipas?) in Pencak Silat

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there anyone who knows something about the use of fans (kipas) in Pencak Silat? I know that they are mainly used for the concealing of techniques, at least, my teacher told me so, but since they are not in my style, he isn't able to teach it to me or something.

So I'd like to know more about it. I've got a Tai Chi fan and I'd like to try to do something with it. Of course, trying to do specialized techniques is quite impossible since there's no one to teach me, but most weapons can also be used in the 'normal' techniques so I'd like to try that with a fan was well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now you have me curious :)

Javanese Silat often shows influences of Chinese and Japanese arts so it wouldn't suprise me that someone has worked Chinese weapons in to their system...but this is something that I have yet to see myself.

While it doesn't sound like this grew from battlefield applications (somehow I just can't picture Indonesian soldiers carrying a fan in to combat...LOL), it sounds like something that may have grown out of civil/personal protection applications.

Could your teacher share more about the history and applications of using a steel fan in Silat? I'd be very interested to know myself.

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend training for about a week so I can't ask him for more information... However, at the time I asked him he already said that he didn't really know much about it so I am not sure whether he'll be able to tell me more about it...

However, I can try to remember what he said to me... He told me that it is mainly used for the kembanang (concealing), so not really for fighting. Also he said that if one mastered that style that you could put metal blades or something on the fan so it would be more effective. And well, that was pretty much of what he said.

So, well, I was hoping for someone who knew more about it but I take it that there's no one? :(

Silat Junkie

White Belt
Reaction score
I have only seen the Kipas used a few times. I didn't even know what the Indonesian term for it was but one of my students traveled to Java last year and studied some Panglipur and two women performed kembangan using them.

I don't know much about it but I thought that maybe letting you know about Panglipur may be useful in your quest. I also thought it might be interesting that the females were doing and I didn't see any men doing it.

With respect,
Sean

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I googled Panglipur and I found a few schools in the Netherlands - unfortunately they are quite far away :(.

I'm glad I'm a woman so I don't think I'll encounter problems regarding to that... ;) But it is, indeed very interesting.

The only problem is - what to do next? I don't think that e-mailing to panglipur schools will work - they don't know me at all, so I don't think they'll start explaining all about fans :(.

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(*frowns* I can't edit posts? Hmmm... Strange.)

YES! :D My teacher told me I could bring my fan to training tonight so I suppose he's going to teach me something :p He e-mailed that he'd be able to teach me a demo or something, so I'm looking forward to what he's going to teach me ;).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(*frowns* I can't edit posts? Hmmm... Strange.)

We allow posts to be edited for a short period of time after posting.

If something is really amiss either hit the RTM button to describe the problem or shoot me a private message and I'll see what I can do. I'm the moderator for this section. :)

YES! :D My teacher told me I could bring my fan to training tonight so I suppose he's going to teach me something :p He e-mailed that he'd be able to teach me a demo or something, so I'm looking forward to what he's going to teach me ;).

That's fantastic! Looking forward to hearing about it! :) :)

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We allow posts to be edited for a short period of time after posting.

If something is really amiss either hit the RTM button to describe the problem or shoot me a private message and I'll see what I can do. I'm the moderator for this section.
Well, it wasn't really like something was amiss, but it looks just so strange, two posts in a row by the same person ;) (on Dutch forums it's usually not allowed to post when you were the last one to post on a thread, so everyone can edit their posts).

However, I'll tell you about training, it was really cool!

Louis (instructor) taught me one technique. I still remember the fan parts but I suppose I've forgotten some of the footwork, so I'll try to reconstruct it. He didn't really go into the history or background of the fan - he said that it wasn't in our style (so I suppose he picked up the skills somewhere?) - but in the technique he showed me, it was clear that it isn't really used to attack.

It was basically a defense (?) against a punch. The fan is in your right hand You deflect it on the regular way (this time with your right wrist instead of your left hand) and while deflecting, you step forward with right. Then you open the fan hard enough, so it makes a sound. You step forward with left and do a sikut while you turn & twist the fan so it distracts the opponent.

(and no, I can't explain the turning/twisting thing, but in the end, you end up with your fan & your elbow to the opponent's throat).

So, Louis told me, it showed that the kipas was really only for distracting - you open it because you want to hide that you're going to come forward for that sikut. He also suggested that I try doing a pajong (?payong? Whatever...) with it and I've tried - but I end up with a 'closed' fan, so I'm going to ask him next week or so.

The assistant teacher then told me that steel fans were used because they were stronger (well, that's quite obvious, I think).

So. It was really nice to finally learn something, but unfortunately, he couldn't tell me about the background. It quite funny, actually, since he can't even open the fan properly (that's why he first didn't want to teach me, but apparently I was either annoying enough because I asked him multiple times, or he'd practised or something) but he does know the techniques ;).

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether there's still anyone interested in it, but Sunday, when I was training a bit by myself, I decided to get my fathers photocamera out and record the fan-technique. I've done it a bit differently than I wrote here, but I think it's quite close to what it's supposed to look like...

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/ccduv/?action=view&current=P9300002.flv

(I'm just doing tankis ke luar, opening the fan and a sikut. Please ignore the fact that the fingers of my left hand aren't closed together - I know it looks weird :p)

Latest Discussions