The Truth About Traditional Martial Arts

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is about attacking through the opponents center... If you attack up the center I attack through your attack toward you center. I do not go around your arms. I do not need to open your guard to attack you.
What's your definition of "your opponent's center"?

Is it his front door (space between his arms)? Can you attack your opponent's center through the side doors (space outside of both arms)?

How do you attack your opponent's center without dealing with his arms if he has "rhino guard"?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't listen to the video but. I've seen similar. Sell it for action movies and don't dress it up as functional fighting.

The big thing is. Functional fighting is supported by function.

There is a back flip single leg escape that is on paper. Ludicrous. But people make it work.

Therefore Functional.

I don't see how the argument gets so complicated.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Is it his front door (space between his arms)? Can you attack your opponent's center through the side doors (space outside of both arms)?

How do you attack your opponent's center without dealing with his arms if he has "rhino guard"?

Move sideways. Didn't we do this?

Attachments

• 20230701_091329.jpg
    20230701_091329.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230701_091406.jpg
    20230701_091406.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 17

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Move sideways. Didn't we do this?
Don't understand you point. Your opponent will also move with you. You walk around circle doesn't mean you can get behind of me because I'll turn with you.

The interested thing is when you try to destroy my rhino guard, you are chasing my arm right at that moment. When you pay attention on my arms, I get chance to pay attention on your body. I'll be 1 step ahead of you.

For example, the moment that you try to destroy my rhino guard, the moment that my arms will separate and hook punch toward your head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't understand you point. Your opponent will also move with you. You walk around circle doesn't mean you can get behind of me because I'll turn with you.

The interested thing is when you try to destroy my rhino guard, you are chasing arm right at that moment. When you pay attention on my arms, I get chance to pay attention on your body. I'll be 1 step ahead of you.

As Bruce Lee should have said. Don't focus on the finger. Focus on all the back of house that got the finger there in the first place

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

As Bruce Lee should have said. Don't focus on the finger. Focus on all the back of house that got the finger there in the first place
Since my rhino guard will always be in your striking path. You have to destroy my rhino guard before you can punch on my head. When you try to destroy my rhino guard, you start to play the grappling game (chase arms). You are not playing the striking game anymore.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your answer is too abstract.

Yes. Hence the lomenchemco clip. The long answer is there is a whole bunch of tactics that allow you to create the angle.

With a good enough grasp on that idea. You can actually take someone's back. And attack the center from there.

Which lomenchemco does against elite guys.

Armature boxing and wing chun share similar concepts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since my rhino guard will always be in your striking path. You have to destroy my rhino guard before you can punch on my head. When you try to destroy my rhino guard, you start to play the grappling game (chase arms). You are not playing the striking game anymore.

As that angle gets cut. You can strike around to the head and body to either hurt you or force you to break your frame.

Mike Tyson did that really well.

As you re center they can cut the angle the other way. Forcing an over commitment on your part. And taking the center from the other side.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wing chun dummy footwork is kind of trying to do what Mike Tyson does.

Appledog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TMA is you try to develop 1 MA skill that you can do better than everybody else on this planet. Anybody wants to learn that skill, they have to come to you.

Today I did 100 repetitions of raise arms at sides, a simple qigong movement. It was only during the last 10 repetitions that I felt any benefit at all from the form. I now realize I have to do it at least 200 times from now on if I want to improve and 1000 times if I want to get good.

If I am going to do it 1000 times I might as well do it 10,000 times. Then I can tell my teacher 'last year, I did this move 1 million times'.

Then maybe he will finally start to like me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With a good enough grasp on that idea. You can actually take someone's back. And attack the center from there.
Arm drag is the best strategy to achieve that. When a striker applies arm drag, he is not playing the striking game. He is playing the grappling game.

Even arm drag can be countered.

Appledog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What if your opponent's center is guarded by his rhino guard? What will you do if your opponent's center is already occupied by his own arms? Any straight punches that you throw, it will be intercepted by your opponent's rhino guard.

Tantui No. 5?

When I was first introduced to chin na, I was horrified at the prospect of ever using it. To this day I'm very careful with it with partners.

Judo and BJJ have a very gentrified version of some of the older limb destruction techniques. Kimura vs Gracie in 51 is probably the best example of watching this in action. If you've ever broken your arm, you know.

Bend before breaking,
Weigh before bending,
Enter before Weighing,
and don't think about seizing;
It's a subtle insight,
four ounces defeat a thousand pounds.

Like a fish hidden in deep waters,
the final chapter needs not be revealed.

(Tao Te Ching Chapter 36)

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Space between the arms= Yes. Attack through the side door? Oh Yes!

Dealing with Rhino guard in the video. Love too!
First the difference between what you should be doing with WC versus the punching in the video. WC closes in so puncher in video punches but does not close . So first you have to know and understand distance. Video footwork is not functional. also Rhino man is chasing arms.
However at this distance either attack from out to in punch /gan to jut gum and then in range for power punches or elbows. Next is go right up center with lan sau or quan Sao and back hand right up the giant doughnut hole or body strikes

To stop person from running the gan to jut /gum will sink his guard the Lan will raise his guard quan will swing his guard. couple all moves with a leg insertion and he can't run and you have his balance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Space between the arms= Yes. Attack through the side door? Oh Yes!
So, what's your definition of "your opponent's center"?

1. Your opponent's center = his front door.
2. Your opponent's center = his front door + his 2 side doors.

1 or 2?

If it's

- 1, we are talking about the same language.
- 2, I don't understand your definition. Please provide more information.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think his opponent throws 1 punch and he counters back with

- 1 block, and
- 9 punches

is realistic?

I can't stand stuff Ike this. This should only be used for action movies.

This is an example of a self-inflicted wound on TMA
Do I have a feeling that besides you and I think it's abnormal, everybody else may think it's normal.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bend before breaking,
Weigh before bending,
Enter before Weighing,
and don't think about seizing;
It's a subtle insight,
four ounces defeat a thousand pounds.

Like a fish hidden in deep waters,
the final chapter needs not be revealed.

(Tao Te Ching Chapter 36)
Four ounces, eh?

I've seen a lot of translations but that one is a leap and then some.