Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Self-direction

Votes: 28 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
G

Gary Crawford

Self-Direction for me.Actually I beleive the term self-discovery would descibe my reasons allot better.I started young and trained throughout my adolescent years(I think I'm still going through them sometimes).Martial Arts have always seperated me from average people in one way and helped me be more humble toward my fellow man in another.It has always been there for me during the toughest times of my life,even if I had to train by myself.What I mean by this is that when life became too frustrating and confusing,I could always concentrate on something that I had no dought about,doing Kata's and sets have always helped me clear my mind of the worst troubles,even if only for a couple hours.If I started doing Kata's and I had a hard time doing them right,I knew I had to clear myself of anger and frustration before I could be satisfied with them.Being able to "flow" has always been my ultimate goal and it is impossible for me to flow while thinking about how pissed I am at someone or something.When I noticed how bad I would do things,it became much more important for me to overcome my problems so i could flow than it was for me to retain anger.When I finally got hold of myself enough to feel good about whatever training I was doing,the solutions to my problems always became easier to find.

OP
A

Autocrat

erm... you are missing two blatant options... one of the two reasons I was taught and continue learning MA... the first is to be the one not to lose a fight, the second is to be in control of yourself. I feel no need for affiliation, I've always been highly perceptive of others and surrounds, grades and such mean virtually nothing to me, and the MA have never given me a sense of purpose or sense of else.... I had that before hand as a child, the MA have just helped develope it a bit.
I think being able to prevent serious harm to thy self and to maintain control of thy self in unpleasant situations or emotional occurences the two key factors for my MA.
(does that make me awkward? LOL)

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I liked martial arts as a kid. I have always been a scatterbrain and could hardly concentrate on anything for very long. I didn't realize when I started that I would ever find a real passion for anything, but I certainly have. Not only am I more focused in everything I do, but I make definite changes in my life as a direct result of the focus I have achieved through training in martial arts. Whether it is my diet, exercise, reading, conversation and especially my choice of what to put my energy into, I can attribute a great deal of my current 'self' to the training I have done in martial arts. So FOCUS (which I am still working on) would be the real answer to your question and I think that would be included in self direction.

Farang - Larry

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started because of had to father , stayed for over forty years because I wanted too it is an addiction of the best kind.

OP
A

altondragon

well...all of the above! But certainly now i find the affiliation element truely rewarding..to be involved with those who "get me". There truely is nothing like brothehood/sisterhood.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been addicted to exercise, running, tennis, aerobic dancing, running again, then daughter dragged me to TKD. Now I do it because it also gives me purpose, I really love to teach! TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
You don't have "character" up there.

Anyways, I started MA for self defense, but I got into the character building part (self esteem, respect, self confidence, self control, ect ..... which I didn't have), and the "mental" training.

Hehehehe. I'm guoting myself. I'm such a dork LOL :rolleyes:

Anyways, the reason I did is because I like to add to what I said. My instructor knows I had a problem (still do somewhat) with "character." He picks on me. Not because I suck, but because he is challeging me to get better, mentally. He knows I can do the physical techniques pretty well, but mentally, I am still struggling.

It is tough sometimes when he does that, but I keep going back. So maybe I can add addiction to that as well (I must like the punishment LOL).

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally started for self-defense. I continue still for the self-defense, but now even more so because I love the art, I have fun, it's challenging, and I'm good friends with everyone in the class. I can't imagine ever quitting. It's become such a huge part of my life and who I am.

Robyn :asian:

OP
K

Kempogeek

Before I joined Karate, I met quite a few friends online who were in martial arts and how much they enjoyed it. Growing up I've always been a big fan, especially the Kung Fu movies on Saturdays. At the time I joined, I was in a job that I didn't like and didn't have much of a social life. I felt that this was a shot of excitement that I needed. I took a chance with this school and have no regrets. I enjoy the weapons classes (Iaido and Arnis) as well as meeting new people. Just feels like someplace to get together with friends a few nights a week. I believe more important, to prove to myself that I can do this and hopefully make it to black belt. But that's not my main priority in MA. Just to have fun, meet new friends and be and do the best that I can. Best regards, Steve