• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
L

lifewise

Achievement
Affiliation
Sensation
Self-direction

In an effort to put together an article I would like some input from the folks here on martial talk.

Please list all the reasons why you participate in martial arts? Are they for achievement, affiliation, sensation, or self-direction? Please explain briefly.

OP
T

theneuhauser

good question, but in your poll you need to include options for each possible combination of the four. my main reason is immortality.

OP
T

theneuhauser

that was a joke, sorry, it was a bad one.

affiliation is important to me because it feels good to be a part of something larger than yourself,
but most important to me is maybe sensation, the feeling and awareness of yourself as part of the physical world around you and the perfect connection of your mind to your body.

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by theneuhauser

that was a joke, sorry, it was a bad one.

affiliation is important to me because it feels good to be a part of something larger than yourself,
but most important to me is maybe sensation, the feeling and awareness of yourself as part of the physical world around you and the perfect connection of your mind to your body.

whew! you had me wondering what your explaination was going to be! ;)

nice answer. i will use that. thanks

OP
W

Wertle

Maybe you could do a little explanation of what you mean by each choice? I'm not quite sure how to interpret some of them, and I don't want to skew the results ^_^

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't have "character" up there.

Anyways, I started MA for self defense, but I got into the character building part (self esteem, respect, self confidence, self control, ect ..... which I didn't have), and the "mental" training.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I first got into it in the 70's cause I thought it was so cool to be able to kick someone in the head :D

Now it's just such a part of me I couldn't stop if I wanted to.

:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

i would have to say "completion." being involved in the martial arts makes me aware of the world around me (both the dangers and the beauty.) it also allows my mind, body and spirit to be focused.

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by karatekid1975

You don't have "character" up there.

Anyways, I started MA for self defense, but I got into the character building part (self esteem, respect, self confidence, self control, ect ..... which I didn't have), and the "mental" training.

I would put "character" under the category "self-direction" in my article because of the reasons you listed. Thanks! Good stuff. ;)

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Wertle

Maybe you could do a little explanation of what you mean by each choice? I'm not quite sure how to interpret some of them, and I don't want to skew the results ^_^

Don't worry about the results Wertle :)

It is important for me to see how you interpret the question as well as your response. Any sincere reply can be useful and is appreciated.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Not being active for the majority of my life and feeling I was missing out, finally decided to take the leap and join MA which I always had a facination with.

It gave me more to do than work and sleep. It got me out of the house, and meeting new people. Helped me loose a lot of the shyness I had, and of course taught me some new skill that make me more confident and selfasured.

dot

BTW Lifewise is multi talented you know. She posts interesting threads for her research, AND she's creative too. She does some lovely woodworking. For further information look here:

http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2993

LW make cheque payable to KenpoGirl ..... ;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You forgot "habit" and "addiction" which are really the same thing, but just a matter of degree.

I'm serious, I got into martial arts because I thought they would be fun, and now I just simply addicted. It isn't always fun, but I couldn't stop if I wanted to. I do get to "achieve" things, but thats not why I do it, that is just a benefit.

What do you mean by affiliation.

Lamont

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Blindside

You forgot "habit" and "addiction" which are really the same thing, but just a matter of degree.

I'm serious, I got into martial arts because I thought they would be fun, and now I just simply addicted. It isn't always fun, but I couldn't stop if I wanted to. I do get to "achieve" things, but thats not why I do it, that is just a benefit.

What do you mean by affiliation.

Lamont

Lamont - your "addiction" I would categorize under Sensation. By sensation I mean your need for the stimulation martial arts provides, or the excitment.

You asked what I meant about affiliation. By affiliation I mean your desire to socialize, to have a relationship with others that share in your interest.

Thanks for the reply!

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

BTW Lifewise is multi talented you know. She posts interesting threads for her research, AND she's creative too. She does some lovely woodworking. For further information look here:

http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2993

LW make cheque payable to KenpoGirl ..... ;)

Thanks for the plug KenpoGirl! With all this publicity I better get back in the shop and get working on some new designs huh?

I will "email" your cheque ASAP. :p

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoGirl said:
Not being active for the majority of my life and feeling I was missing out, finally decided to take the leap and join MA which I always had a facination with.

It gave me more to do than work and sleep. It got me out of the house, and meeting new people. Helped me loose a lot of the shyness I had, and of course taught me some new skill that make me more confident and selfasured.
Ditto... except for the shyness part... that I have never been accused of :D

The not being active part is so true for me. I have lost 70+ pounds in under three years doing MA. I still have a ways to go (another 20 would make me happy!) but I like the fact that I can do MA and eat anything I want. I don't have much self control when it comes to food, me loves food :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in the martial arts because it filled a need when I started, and it became an addiction, and a healthy benefit all at the same time.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self-direction.

I use my martial arts to explore how I think and view the world around me. I also do martial arts to channel the focus upon my weaknesses in different facets of my life and make them become strengths. In other words, to become a better person--physically, mentally, emotionally, psychologically, and yes--spiritually.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions