The Quick Boxing Jab as Set-Up for Self-defence Techniques

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look my demos up & yes i demo elbow against jab from the kuntao.Im not saying the student Im training is a pro boxer- but this will give some insight of how it can be done.Go to the quick link post page 4 I beleave its on now.Look up monkey & see my demos.Enjoy.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Ken Pfrenger, could you please expound on Dempseys concept of the Jolt? You mentioned a drop step, is that like forward to carry momentum forward into the jab? Thats exactly how I throw it. I know Jack Dempsey wrote a couple of books and had some different ideas on punching and boxing, if you could elaborate that would be really cool.

I would like to here what Mr. Pfrenger has to say on the matter as well. If I am not mistaken, he has some instructional material breaking down the manual, no?

Paul

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never one to pass up a chance on talking about Dempsey or the jolt:)

There is a dvd of me going through my Dempsey notes with a student...very rough quality shot in a garage...and it really looks like a garage. It was never meant to be anything but a private lesson but somehow I agreed to let it be sold. if anyone is interested let me know and i will send you the contact address for a copy. I think it runs $18.

Anyhow....yes lonecoyote, a drop step is performed pretty much the way you describe. A quick and dirty run down:

Lead toe pointing at opponent while standing with your rear heel up a bit. He also called this a trigger step. The raised heel acting as a trigger to propel you forward as you fall. The punch is copmpleted with three almost simulaneous actions:
Step
Relay
Explode

Step:

lift your front foot slightly and move it forward, letting your weight drip six inches or so, while your back trigger propels you forward.

Relay:

Your lead arm shoots forward with a vertical fist alignment. The powerline for this punch runs through the underside of your arm and out your pinky knuckle. Pinky knuckle is too weak to take all so aim with ring finger knuckle and land with middle, ring and pijnky knuckle. Index knuckle is left out of the picture(though it may land depending on the contour of the target)

Explode:

At the very last instant the fist is convulsively clenched, tightening the hand and arm an instant beofre impact.

That is it in a nutshell...of course this is not the easiest way to get a point across and there is a good chance that I am leaving something major out. If interested I do have a pdf of Dempseys manual and can mail it out to anyone who is interested. It is under 4 mb. It is written in a very informal clear manner so there is no problem understanding it.

A word on Dempsey...he wrote to martial manuals, His Championship Boxing and "How to Fight Tough" Two very different manuals. The latter was a training manual he wrote witht he help of wrestler/jj man, Bernard Cosneck.

Although his boxing is a bit different fromt he era he wrote it(1950's) and definitely different from the modern method, it really was not anything new or inovative. Dempsey learned to box in an era when the memory of bareknuckles was still fresh in the minds of those he learned from....I always like to call him the last of the bareknucklers. He goes into his training a bit in the book.

Sorry I got so wordy....like I said I rarely will pass up a chance to talk Dempsey:)

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you want to see some fast hands-go to search type monkey.See some of my 2004-6 semiar footage & more.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know talking power. Over the years I have noticed several in fact many times When a new student starts training There power punch does not have any more power then a good stiff straight jab. In a short time they do improve on power. BUt the point is these people are straight off the streets and thought they had power in there punches. A jab can slow or adjust the other persons reaction. Whwere you can go to follow up. On the streets You do not know that person. His best punch well it may hurt or it may not hurt so much. The folow up rapid fire motion of the fight that is different. A jab is a good tool to train. even JKD has a jab. BUt the JKD lead which is thrown like the JKD jab but much more emotion in it. It has good power its just an adjust jab that has basicly the same speed but packs more hip bring more power. A jab can come into play any time. How hard you throw depends on the jab type then modified motion creaters more power yet. And far as boxing goes most any good boxer even a fare boxer can go hands with most any M/A person and do well on the streets. As for 1 legs are easy to get inside of useing the hands. And on the street the boxer gets to use Dirty boxing tactics to. Just try getting in the ring with a skilled boxer and you see a little more respect for there skill. Sreet fights well you have to just do as you do. And I would defently use a good jab. And the other hands as was needed. Aim that jab at the nose watch it break watch those eye water up. It gives you an extended moment to hit agin.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Ken. I am always interested in reading different takes on old pugalism manuals; and Dempsey is my favorite. He was a fighter both in the ring as well as outside of it. Nice Job!

I am sending you a PM, btw.

:)

Paul

Latest Discussions