The Pink Book?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently picked up a copy of the Pink Book, and I have really been enjoying going through it all.

So that has made me curious...how have you used the Pink Book in your training and/or teaching?

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a copy of the Pink Book, and I have really been enjoying going through it all.

So that has made me curious...how have you used the Pink Book in your training and/or teaching?

I use it more as an historical reference than anything else. I just enjoy digging it out and looking at it and comparing it to what Professor was doing in the late 1990's. There are definite differences and one can see where he evolved to more fine and subtle movements. A lot of what's in the Pink Book seemed to be more designed for the Physical Education type classes and if I recall correctly, there are competition rules in there as well.

Take care,
Brian Johns

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hello Ms. Kaur,

I just got a copy of the "Modern Arnis: Philippines Martial Arts - Stick Fighting" a couple of months ago. After reading through it very carefully, I determined that provided some critical information involving the arly-on thinking of Professor Presas. It also provided me with some important background information about the art and techniques that he used as the foundation of the Modern Arnis System. With a keen eye and some serious practice I would suggest that there are some very significant insights that can be gleaned from the book.

I was only able to attend a few seminars with Professor in the middle to late 1990's. My primary art is a karate based system and I needed the book in order to find some of the earlier ideas that had become so ingrained in his approach that he didn't think to actively teach them by the time I was attending his seminars. My primary instructor wasn't aware of these key components since she was teaching Modern Arnis as an 'add-on art' which was intended to supplement our karate system.
I'd be happy to share/exchange some ideas with you privately if you're so inclined.

Sincerely,

Morgan

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Carol,

What I like about the pink book - the cane anyos are demonstrated in them and in the section called "Other forms of arnis fighting" the actions are demonstrated with espada y daga (stick & dagger) applications. This gives a clue to RP's early training.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Carol

If you do not mind the intrusion of an old CMA guy that does not train any Filipino Martial Arts (but live on the North Shore many years ago) what is the pink book?

XS

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol

If you do not mind the intrusion of an old CMA guy that does not train any Filipino Martial Arts (but live on the North Shore many years ago) what is the pink book?

XS

XS,

In this thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...rsons+pink+book+stick+fighting+edition&page=7

The first post on the 7th page (* Standrad display settings *) I have a post that details the US version. Datu Dieter has a post after mine that explains the 4th edition from the PI or RP as one prefers.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This post from the thread I referenced in the above post:

Thank you for your very through reply, I appriciate it, Mr. Parsons. With regard to your comment:

"For someone who seems to understand a lot about Modern Arnis and knows alot about the history and knows the "right" Questions to ask, or the "Right" things to be ... , ."

Thanks again... I know a lot because I've read a lot. I had a very good teacher who taught Kenpo and then added Modern Arnis to our system as an 'add on and backup art' because she believed that the Kenpo weapons training wasn't as complete as it could be from her perspective. 12 years of training under a single instructor and program tends to develop a strong background if the student is alive, alert and curious - I am all 3.

I'll get a copy of the book and then read it several times cover to cover. The "pink book" designation was useless to me, but your complete citation makes it very easy for me to obtain a copy:
-------------------------------------------------------
Modern Arnis
Philippine MArtial Art
"Stick Fighting"

Cover Art is GM Remy Presas and Roland Dantes at Madison Square Garden, 1976

1st US. Edition
by: Remy Amador Presas
Founder of Modern Arnis

ISBN:
0-9657796-0-2

First Philipines Edition, 1974
2nd Printing, April 1975
3rd Printing, July 1975
4th Printing, August 1978
5th Printing, December 1980
6th Printing, September 1993

First US Edition, April 1997
-------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us who are not WMAA members and who have not gained access to some of the coded, insider phrases, the need for a citation shouldn't be a surprise...

Respectfully,

Morgan

Just to clarify I am not a WMAA member.

Hello Ms. Kaur,

I just got a copy of the "Modern Arnis: Philippines Martial Arts - Stick Fighting" a couple of months ago. After reading through it very carefully, I determined that provided some critical information involving the arly-on thinking of Professor Presas. It also provided me with some important background information about the art and techniques that he used as the foundation of the Modern Arnis System. With a keen eye and some serious practice I would suggest that there are some very significant insights that can be gleaned from the book.

I was only able to attend a few seminars with Professor in the middle to late 1990's. My primary art is a karate based system and I needed the book in order to find some of the earlier ideas that had become so ingrained in his approach that he didn't think to actively teach them by the time I was attending his seminars. My primary instructor wasn't aware of these key components since she was teaching Modern Arnis as an 'add-on art' which was intended to supplement our karate system.
I'd be happy to share/exchange some ideas with you privately if you're so inclined.

Sincerely,

Morgan

Once again, I have to say Morgan for someone who has not trained a lot in this art, and only seen a couple of seminars and had an instructor in Kenpo I assume it is Kenpo Karate of some version based upon your comments, that you seem to be well educated and present your arguements like a professor. You also speak as if you are quite skilled in Modern Arnis and then go out of your way to state you are not. I am still confused by all this. It has me very intrigued. I do hope I have the benefit of meeting you some day. I think the conversations would be enlightening.

Thanks

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Carol,

In our school we have are requirements for rank. We teach from this. We also reference the books and the first series of video tapes for additional work and historical references. I like the book myself.

Thanks

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A 1974 pink-covered over-sized paperback book published in the Phil. The cover of my copy (3rd printing, 1975, marked "NOT FOR EXPORT--PUNISHABLE BY LAW" and signed by the author and someone else whose name is hard to read) says:

Modern Arnis
Philippine Martial Art
"STICK FIGHTING"

(subtitled "PHILIPPINE STYLE OF STICKFIGHTING" on the title page inside). It has both line drawings and grainy B&W photos and represents one of the earliest records of Modern Arnis as such. It and the Yellow Book, published here in the States through Ohara and still on the shelves at the Borders Books nearest me, are the main books on Modern Arnis by the founder of the art. (There are books by others, and DVDs by the founder and others.) It includes some techniques rarely taught (explicitly) later on, including defense against staves, pistol disarms, and sacrifice sweeps (the foot-hooks), but the emphasis is on a survey of and introduction to Modern Arnis techniques and practice.

It's something of an artifact for us! I have the 3rd Printing, July 1975, of the 1974 1st edition, and unlike Mr. Parson's comment in the other thread, mine has a cover picture of the Professor in a RH low backhand strike/RH high forehand chamber (like in single sinawali) pose, alone.

We'd be happy to have you, though!

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A 1974 pink-covered over-sized paperback book published in the Phil. The cover of my copy (3rd printing, 1975, marked "NOT FOR EXPORT--PUNISHABLE BY LAW" and signed by the author and someone else whose name is hard to read) says:

Modern Arnis
Philippine Martial Art
"STICK FIGHTING"

(subtitled "PHILIPPINE STYLE OF STICKFIGHTING" on the title page inside). It has both line drawings and grainy B&W photos and represents one of the earliest records of Modern Arnis as such. It and the Yellow Book, published here in the States through Ohara and still on the shelves at the Borders Books nearest me, are the main books on Modern Arnis by the founder of the art. (There are books by others, and DVDs by the founder and others.) It includes some techniques rarely taught (explicitly) later on, including defense against staves, pistol disarms, and sacrifice sweeps (the foot-hooks), but the emphasis is on a survey of and introduction to Modern Arnis techniques and practice.

It's something of an artifact for us! I have the 3rd Printing, July 1975, of the 1974 1st edition, and unlike Mr. Parson's comment in the other thread, mine has a cover picture of the Professor in a RH low backhand strike/RH high forehand chamber (like in single sinawali) pose, alone.

We'd be happy to have you, though!

It is nice to have this older copy. :)

And Jeff you and others of the WMAA are my friends, and I train with you, as I will train with anyone who has an open mind and or is at least polite to me. Those that are not poliate or are insulting I do not support with my time or efforts. :asian:

Bear

White Belt
Reaction score
I got my “Pink Book” in 1980. It is still a valuable reference for me.
In the 80s I would teach the local neighborhood kids using the pink book as my guide. The kids in turn became training partners for me. In those days the Professor would come to Portland two or three times a year. The book helped us through the in-between times.

Tim Dawdy

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Ms. Kaur,

Sincerely,

Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Please call me Carol, I'm just a student. :) Interesting to hear your input. As far as sharing privately, I prefer my discussions in the open for the time being, but thanks for the offer.

Thats interesting that you have studied Modern Arnis as an art to compliment your main style....I think that gets a lot of people in to the Filipino styles. Lucky you for having met the Professor, sadly he passed away before I even began MA training.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Carol,

What I like about the pink book - the cane anyos are demonstrated in them and in the section called "Other forms of arnis fighting" the actions are demonstrated with espada y daga (stick & dagger) applications. This gives a clue to RP's early training.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Always good to hear from you, Professor Anderson.

That is VERY interesting. I learned a tiny bit about the Presas family system at a recent seminar with Mr. Brian Zawilinski and Mr. Bram Frank...needless to say it made very interested in learning more. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol

XS

XS,

In this thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...rsons+pink+book+stick+fighting+edition&page=7

The first post on the 7th page (* Standrad display settings *) I have a post that details the US version. Datu Dieter has a post after mine that explains the 4th edition from the PI or RP as one prefers.

Awww geee Rich, maybe we should have told XueSheng it was a secret Filipino weapon? ;)

Just kidding XS! Please don't feel shy about asking questions either.

Carol,

In our school we have are requirements for rank. We teach from this. We also reference the books and the first series of video tapes for additional work and historical references. I like the book myself.

Thanks

Thats very interesting that it plays that much of a role in your school, Rich. I hear of some folks that are interested in it more from a historical perspective...but I think its cool that the book is very much "alive" in your school :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the 80s I would teach the local neighborhood kids using the pink book as my guide. The kids in turn became training partners for me. In those days the Professor would come to Portland two or three times a year. The book helped us through the in-between times.

Tim Dawdy

Welcome to Martial Talk, Mr. Dawdy! Very glad you found us, and thanks for sharing your own story. Looking forward to hearing more from you sir. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Awww geee Rich, maybe we should have told XueSheng it was a secret Filipino weapon? ;)

Just kidding XS! Please don't feel shy about asking questions either.

You can't fool me, I already assumed that this whole book and post reference thing that Rich gave me was just a cover-up for a secret Filipino weapon. :uhyeah:

And thanks.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
This post from the thread I referenced in the above post:

Once again, I have to say Morgan for someone who has not trained a lot in this art, and only seen a couple of seminars and had an instructor in Kenpo I assume it is Kenpo Karate of some version based upon your comments, that you seem to be well educated and present your arguements like a professor. You also speak as if you are quite skilled in Modern Arnis and then go out of your way to state you are not. I am still confused by all this. It has me very intrigued. I do hope I have the benefit of meeting you some day. I think the conversations would be enlightening.

Thanks

Dear Master Parsons,

Why do we need to revisit old ground already covered? Here is what i've said in the past to your same questioning comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan
Thank you for your very through reply, I appriciate it, Mr. Parsons. With regard to your comment:

"For someone who seems to understand a lot about Modern Arnis and knows alot about the history and knows the "right" Questions to ask, or the "Right" things to be ... , ."

Thanks again... I know a lot because I've read a lot. I had a very good teacher who taught Kenpo and then added Modern Arnis to our system as an 'add on and backup art' because she believed that the Kenpo weapons training wasn't as complete as it could be from her perspective. 12 years of training under a single instructor and program tends to develop a strong background if the student is alive, alert and curious - I am all 3.

I'll get a copy of the book and then read it several times cover to cover. The "pink book" designation was useless to me, but your complete citation makes it very easy for me to obtain a copy:
-------------------------------------------------------
Modern Arnis
Philippine MArtial Art
"Stick Fighting"

Ok, let's expand just a bit. I've been training in martial arts for the past 21 years and began when I was 12 years old. By the time I got to my first seminar with Professor Presas, I wasn't a martial arts novice. My instructor would not allow any of her students to attend a Modern Arnis seminar until we had a minimum of 1 years worth of training and we had mastered the 12 strikes, 2 counters for each strike (empty hand as well as single stick) plus we were skilled in redonda, single, double and reverse sinawali. Therfore when I got to my first seminar with Professor,
I was a knowledgable student of the art. My training with Professor has been compounded by my multiple seminar experiences with each of the following instructors, PG Tom Bolden, Guro Dan Inosanto, GT Leo Gaje and GM Bobby Taboada in that order.

I choose to ask questions rather than make statements. I'm not an "expert" in Modern Arnis. I'm an experienced student who wants to know more and learn more. I seek out people who might be able to help me in my quest. As I've stated before and repeat in my above quote, I read a lot. In fact I study and analyze in detail what I've read then I go out and practice to see what works for me and what doesn't. I follow Professor's dictum by making it for myself!

I would never call myself a "professor", but thank you for the compliment. My parents are very pleased to know that someone believes that I've presented myself as learned person. The college tuition that they've paid for has returned on their investment in terms of my presentation. I've included your comment in my journal. I just might recall it and use it at some point in the future. I'm looking forward to meeting you someday in the future as well.

Morgan

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Tim Dawdy

Tim-

It's Tim Hartman here. How are you doing?

Latest Discussions