The Person You Will Most Likely Face

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
From my many experiences, I would say that the average joe is not the most likely. Instead, it's the alpha males/females of society, who, since school days always picked on the average joe's and jane's. They were always bigger, more aggressive, and meaner. As adults, little changes, except for jail house degrees of doing it better, added to their bullying experience. That, and a lot of hostile experience, would be the formal training, maybe some boxing also, that they possess. They learned early on force was productive for them.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its hard to say what you'll face as every confrontation is different and all that. But it does seem to be young men with something to prove to their friends and (if possible) any females about that tend to start most trouble as far as I've seen. In my experience, the sort of people who like it if the odds are in their favour but aren't too keen on one on one.
In my area lately there have been a gang of older teenage boys/men wandering the streets from the neighbouring village. They pick on lone men or younger lads and as there are about 20 of them, some of them armed with bats, then you have to be a pretty special fighter to come out on top. I've heard about them beating people up, but not come across them myself yet. I do know though that two of them were KO'd last weekend by some of the older locals who'd taken exception to them intimidating people and grouped together, but apparently it hasn't deterred them.

Apparently they're aged 15-19. Do you think you could take 20 of those on singlehanded? I would rather not test myself if poss but I would say singly they would more than likely not dare say boo to a goose. Unfortunately these sort of idiots don't operate singly. So anyway in my area thats the sort of person you're most likely to face. a complete and utter chump.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my exposure to these types it wasn't the average Joe looking for a fight, it was the guy who either was, or fancied himself a streetfighter. As has already been said, they usually are on the lookout for the average looking guy to show how accomplished a fighter they are to their friends. Most have enough sense to figure out when the average looking guy isn't intimidated by their show of force, and move on to an easier target. I was always the average looking guy. Too bad I enjoyed mixing it up a bit usually. LOL

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't underestimate anyone.

An "average Joe" (ok, hopefully not too average) the other day decided to stab his wife with a steaknife... downtown, in broad daylight.

A storeowner came out when she heard the commotion and hit the attacker with an oak leaf from a table... twice, in the back of the head. It didn't phase him at all... he kept stabbing his wife. Another lady intervened, breaking a golf club across him, then managed to stun him a little with her second stroke, which caught him in the forehead. Two guys were then able to wrestle him to the ground and hold him for the police.

Unfortunately, by this time, the wife had been stabbed 24 times, and died a couple of hours later in the hospital.

Don't know if he was drunk, on drugs, or just riding the adrenaline, but it shows the hits someone can take without going down.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my area, the person most likely to attack someone, is the gangsta wannabe. Pants hanging around their butt, shirt twelve sizes too big, speaking some god awful language, that kind of sounds like English, but not really. Baltimore is full of these little idiots. They rove around in packs of about 5 to 7 Lil G's, all ready to get in your face with their friends around. Alone, they are afraid of their own shadow.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree.

Cowards, under the right (er, wrong rather) circumstances, can often be the most dangerous people.

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Answer is usually,UNKNOWN Type!! BB Instructor,at the mall going to the movies...BIKER...makes comments to his wife...BB & his wife try to walk away....doesn't work!! BB nails this Biker....numerous times(Biker was no rook)...took the shots & kept coming! LEOS show up arrest the guy...he had priors.BB told my brother later....Biker was experienced....knew it was going to get bad & from what I did & saw...he didn't know if he could have taken him..Biker got in some shots too !!BB is NOT a small man & neither was the BIKER..BB goes about 6'1 210!! You just never know..only thing I know is to do what I do...know your ART..."REAL"WELL & i DON'T MEAN JUST PRACTICING WHAT YOU DO IN THE DOJO!! As a young guy(loooong ago),bouncing in a Nightclub...I found a LOT I was taught & I MEAN A LOT...did NOT work in the real world!!
Be safe,
Jim

PS-FYI-You had ALSO better learn how to use a blade AND "MOST"important "HOW TO RUN"!!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clifton is right. The bigger they are, the more bones they break.

In a situation like the one described you almost always have to make one or more of their body parts stop functioning. We all have to face the fact that there are some very big, extremely tough guys out there that fight on a regular basis.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of you. Pros won't risk injury to fight someone, they're worth just too much $ for that. Funny thing is that Pros are predictible, but you'll most likely face an amateur. I say prepare for anything and fight dirty. "In the end what matters is not who's right but who's left" Ed Parker.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of you. Pros won't risk injury to fight someone, they're worth just too much $ for that. Funny thing is that Pros are predictible, but you'll most likely face an amateur. I say prepare for anything and fight dirty. "In the end what matters is not who's right but who's left" Ed Parker.

You don't know that. Some people, MMA, TMA, boxing, wrestling etc. despite their extensive training and high paychecks and even major ad revenues still go around looking for fights. Most don't, but expecially with the pro-boxers, they are definately around. Also, just because someone has training in one area doesn't mean that in a streetfight they won't deviate from that.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You don't know that. Some people, MMA, TMA, boxing, wrestling etc. despite their extensive training and high paychecks and even major ad revenues still go around looking for fights. Most don't, but expecially with the pro-boxers, they are definately around. Also, just because someone has training in one area doesn't mean that in a streetfight they won't deviate from that.

Well, with all due respect, I do know that. I work with criminals 40hrs+ a week and in my experience out of 1,500+ inmates I know, I've identified maybe, 5 or 6 that are trained in MAs (one I know for a fact was an ex-TKD champ). Lets make that, say, 15, counting boxers, wrestlers, ex-military and MAist, that is still 1% that are actually trained in fighting.

I don't deny that there exceptions to the rule, but most prize fighters know well that if they act like idiots and get into a street fight they might get hurt, thus, ending their careers. Yes, there is a possibility but its so small that's barely there (like I said 1% or less), but is still worth to prepare for that.

During my younger, stupider years I was involved in my fair share of bar fights. Also I worked as a bouncer on the side. All the subjects I encountered where just your average "tough guy" with something to prove. No real fighting skill but experienced brawlers. Those are the ones you need to watch out for; thats your "most likely" subject.

Mishael

White Belt
Reaction score
I have had pretty much the entire gambit of people start fights with me. The most skilled was a black belt assistant instructor or a bouncer. The least skilled was a college football player at a booze party. The black belt made the mistake of starting the fight in the men's room of a bar where he couldn't get off his kicks. The bouncer wisely choose the dance floor of the bar. I have to agree with the posters who said trained to be the best you can and learn what works and what doesn't. When my son was a bouncer, he used one of the same things I used when confronted, rage. MOST tough guys know they are tough and don't look for fights. It's the wantabe tough guys or those with criminal mind sets that have to prove something that is most likely to confront you. The pack is also very dangerous.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MOST tough guys know they are tough and don't look for fights.

I agree with this. The guys that have always scared the crap out of me are the guys being quiet and setting in the corner minding his own business.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it me or is everyone and there brother training to be ultimate fighters? Bouncing in the bar I've noticed gangs of these guys coming in together talking about submissions and elbows. I seen a commercial for a huge Ultimate fighter gym in my area that's opened. They advertise they teach boxing, muay ti, subission wreslting and maybe something else. This seems to be the lastest craze and at least in my area it seems to be taking off.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Give it a few months and most of those guys will be doing something else. They could also be like many of the people in my area that watch a bunch of it on T.V.

Latest Discussions