The origin of praying mantis kung fu

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, the legend goes that a mediocre martial artist was looking for a way to become the best warrior in China, but was getting beaten again and again. One day he sat under a tree and saw a praying mantis, picked it up and tried to gently prod a twig to see how it would react, and according to that built a new kind of Kung Fu.

Is that the only legend about that or are there others? Also, did anyone actually try it by himself to see how a praying mantis actually reacts?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I understand it, the legend goes that a mediocre martial artist was looking for a way to become the best warrior in China, but was getting beaten again and again. One day he sat under a tree and saw a praying mantis, picked it up and tried to gently prod a twig to see how it would react, and according to that built a new kind of Kung Fu.

Is that the only legend about that or are there others? Also, did anyone actually try it by himself to see how a praying mantis actually reacts?

You need to re-read the origin story. You're a bit off.

Try this one... http://www.luoguangyu.com/tanglang4.html

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've read the version several times where the founder prodded a praying mantis with a twig and watched how it defended itself.

I've tried it myself with an actual praying mantis on a couple of occasions. Apparently American praying mantises don't know kung fu. They mostly just ignored me in the hopes I would go away.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried it myself with an actual praying mantis on a couple of occasions. Apparently American praying mantises don't know kung fu. They mostly just ignored me in the hopes I would go away.

BWAHAHAHAHA.... Sounds like it knew my ex-wife.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they the beasties who's males get their heads bitten off ( literally) after mating?

Latest Discussions