In my opinion - The most impressive demonstration of Kung Fu on Youtube

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score

This video is a very rare example of a fight between a Shaolin monk and a Taekwondo black belt.

Watching this video, a few things impressed me about the monk:

1) At 1:48, he launches a very impressive combo that culminated in a beautiful tornado kick. I'm as far away from a Kung Fu expert as can be, but the technique seemed flawless to me.

2) At 2:41 he goes again. Once more, I admire the technique. How clean and fluid his attacks are.

3) What most impressed me wasn't his attack, but his defense. At 1:06, the Taekwondo guy goes off on an impressive kicking combo at very high speed, and the monk simply reacts by moving away from the attack very quickly, but also very calmly. He doesn't put his hands over his head to protect himself because of the blast of oncoming kicks. He moves away, remains very calm and keeps constant eye contact with the attacker all throughout. That impressed the hell out of me.

4) Kudos also to the TKD guy. Very skillful stuff. Represented his art well.

I want more videos like this. A minute of that kind of fighting is a lot more impressive to me than hours of MMA and UFC. It's not sporty. No gloves. No points. No rounds. No countdown. Just a referee and an unscripted fight (Not that I think that UFC and MMA is scripted, mind you). Really beautiful stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saw a video of this fight a while ago, without the slowmo stuff, and the oohaah aspect..really enjoyed it, but a bit too flashy for my taste, if you know what I mean.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very pretty and the participants are undoubtedly skilled. However, that was a demonstration, not a fight. There's a big difference between the two.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This video is a very rare example of a fight between a Shaolin monk and a Taekwondo black belt.
Ok... It's already been stated, but this was not a fight. This was a patty cake demonstration only. Nobody was out to hit anybody. Actually if somebody had been hit, I think the striker would been terribly embarassed.
If it were a fight, it'd be a guy in Sanda short, not pinkish (WTF????) robes with a shaved head. It'd be a guy looking to take somebody's head clean off, not somebody reluctant to engage.
Watching this video, a few things impressed me about the monk:
He's not a monk. He's a kid with a shaved head & pinkish (WTF????) robes.

1) At 1:48, he launches a very impressive combo that culminated in a beautiful tornado kick. I'm as far away from a Kung Fu expert as can be, but the technique seemed flawless to me.
It was a perfectly lovely & useless technique. Again... not out to hit let alone hurt. Just look good.
2) At 2:41 he goes again. Once more, I admire the technique. How clean and fluid his attacks are.
See above.
3) What most impressed me wasn't his attack, but his defense. At 1:06, the Taekwondo guy goes off on an impressive kicking combo at very high speed, and the monk simply reacts by moving away from the attack very quickly, but also very calmly. He doesn't put his hands over his head to protect himself because of the blast of oncoming kicks. He moves away, remains very calm and keeps constant eye contact with the attacker all throughout. That impressed the hell out of me.
It's easy to move away when you know you're not going to be actually chased down.

4) Kudos also to the TKD guy. Very skillful stuff. Represented his art well.
Sure. He looked good with the TKD. So did the kid trying to figure out what to do with forms based wushu without Sanda training.

I want more videos like this. A minute of that kind of fighting is a lot more impressive to me than hours of MMA and UFC. It's not sporty. No gloves. No points. No rounds. No countdown. Just a referee and an unscripted fight (Not that I think that UFC and MMA is scripted, mind you). Really beautiful stuff.
Ok... I'd suggest "36 Chambers" or "Shaolin vs Lama" or anything from Golden Harvest or the Shaw Brothers. Otherwise, "kung fu fightin'" as it were... is dirty, ugly & violent. Basically... UFC or MMA, just no ground play. You'll get knifed down there.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope its a show
If he had Sanshou, which is what they teach to fight at shaolin, it would look different and not pretty.

More like these

A Sanshou match

Cung Le

This is a demo too and to me. a much better example of Shaolin Kungfu with Shaolin apps..and Shaolin with Shaolin apps is rare

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
He's not a monk. He's a kid with a shaved head & pinkish (WTF????) robes.

How would you know that? Some monks wear pink. I don't think they care about "girly" colors.

However, that was a demonstration, not a fight.

Maybe, but it wasn't scripted. It showed grace, agility and composure, and did so with great technique. They both seem highly skilled.

I bet that the monk would have reacted with the same composure if attacked in a real fight.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How would you know that? Some monks wear pink. I don't think they care about "girly" colors.

Nothing to do with, as you put it "girly colors" Shaolin monks wear orange robes (period). Also color makes a difference to various Buddhist sects so although they would not be thinking, as you put it, "girly colors" they would be rather aware of what color they would be wearing.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Maybe, but it wasn't scripted. It showed grace, agility and composure, and did so with great technique. They both seem highly skilled.

I bet that the monk would have reacted with the same composure if attacked in a real fight.

*sigh*
:trollsign

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing to do with, as you put it "girly colors" Shaolin monks wear orange robes (period). Also color makes a difference to various Buddhist sects so although they would not be thinking, as you put it, "girly colors" they would be rather aware of what color they would be wearing.

Sure, but not every single one of them, and not ALL the time, right?

If this is not a monk, they sure made one hell of a replica. He looks like one, has the composure of one and the fighting skills of one, so...

*sigh*
:trollsign

Are you even loosely familiar with what a forum troll is?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

If this is not a monk, they sure made one hell of a replica. He looks like one, has the composure of one and the fighting skills of one, so...

Na, the guy in pink was the TKD guy. We dont wear Dobok all the time, you know.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No... that is the answer.

Why yes I do oh trollish one... thanks for asking!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Wrong, if it is a Shaolin monk it is every single one of them all the time. The same goes for every other Buddhist sect if they are a monk...every single one of them...all the time.

No, he does not have the fighting skills of a Shaolin monk since that would be Sanshou. Shaolin Monks today can fight bit hot with the high flying forms you see them preform, They are taught Sanshou for fighting and if he was fighting like they train at Shaolin today it would have looked much more like the videos I linked. Could he have gone to Shaolin, yup, a lot do, but very few actually become monks and they too are strained in Sanshou. Saw one do a demo once, damn impressive, looked like a Shaolin Monk too, but he wasn’t. I believe Beijingren call that type almost monk or fake monk.

There was one Shaolin person I know of who was still working at training the old Shaolin style, but he died not to long ago and he had some pretty impressive students and that was none of them because if it was, and that was a fight, it would have looked more like the 3rd video I linked. And to be honest I am not sure if any of his students are monks, I believe he was and it is possible a couple are but again, that was not any of them.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wrong, if it is a Shaolin monk it is every single one of them all the time. The same goes for every other Buddhist sect if they are a monk...every single one of them...all the time.

Well, I know disciples wear gray, but I read somewhere that they also wear colors based on the colors of autumn, like orange, red, yellow and brown, but there's very little english-written evidence, so I don't know.

Shaolin Monks today can fight bit hot with the high flying forms you see them preform

Bit hot?

Could he have gone to Shaolin, yup, a lot do, but very few actually become monks

Yeah, I can see how most fail, but even if this guy did, he sure got far. I don't see how you can reach that level of fluidity in your Kung Fu demonstration without a whole lot of training and dedication.

No, he does not have the fighting skills of a Shaolin monk since that would be Sanshou.

You're saying that if a Shaolink monk was forced to defend himself, he would use Sanshou? I thought it was more the "contact sport" side of Kung Fu, and monks focus on their "temple training" Kung Fu.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I know disciples wear gray, but I read somewhere that they also wear colors based on the colors of autumn, like orange, red, yellow and brown, but there's very little english-written evidence, so I don't know.

No... they wear whatever they're told to wear or given to wear. There's not much else to do.

Yeah, I can see how most fail, but even if this guy did, he sure got far. I don't see how you can reach that level of fluidity in your Kung Fu demonstration without a whole lot of training and dedication.

Easily... that was a scripted demo & wasn't meant as anything else so fluidity is like anything else, no pressure, no flub. It was not anything other than patty cakes. A contact strike would've been loss of face for both parties.

You're saying that if a Shaolink monk was forced to defend himself, he would use Sanshou? I thought it was more the "contact sport" side of Kung Fu, and monks focus on their "temple training" Kung Fu.

No he wouldn't "use" sanshou. He would respond with sanshou application of wushu. You can't have sanshou/sanda without wushu. You can have wushu without sanshou. This guy wasn't fighting. This guy wasn't sparring. This guy wasn't doing anything martial except looking like it.

If you'd talk rather than pontificate... if you'd ask rather than making uninformed presumptions... you might learn something. Nobody here that I know of refuses knowledge (to a degree) when approached. Everybody I know here doesn't work well with people who spout off & then refuse to listen when given accurate & correct information.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I see clfsean already did a great job of answering this and I agree with all he said

See what clfsean’s post
I will add they wear grey and occasionally blue and then the saffron…. Not pink, not rainbow, not green, but mauve…. Grey, sometimes blue and monks wear the saffron

Sorry Typographical error, I was in a hurry
Here read this one

No, he does not have the fighting skills of a Shaolin monk since that would be Sanshou. Shaolin Monks today can fight but not with the high flying forms you see them preform, They are taught Sanshou for fighting and if he was fighting like they train at Shaolin today it would have looked much more like the videos I linked. Could he have gone to Shaolin, yup, a lot do, but very few actually become monks and they too are strained in Sanshou. Saw one do a demo once, damn impressive, looked like a Shaolin Monk too, but he wasn’t. I believe Beijingren call that type almost monk or fake monk.

There was one Shaolin person I know of who was still working at training the old Shaolin style, but he died not too long ago and he had some pretty impressive students and that was none of them because if it was, and that was a fight, it would have looked more like the 3rd video I linked. And to be honest I am not sure if any of his students are monks, I believe he was and it is possible a couple are but again, that was not any of them.

See clfsean’s post

See clfsean’s post

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Easily... that was a scripted demo

I don't see how it was scripted, as they seemed to attack at random timings, but even if it was, it still takes a considerable amount of skill to perform the moves the way he did.

It was not anything other than patty cakes. A contact strike would've been loss of face for both parties.

With the risk of sounding like a troll - How do you know that?

He would respond with sanshou application of wushu.

Meaning what?

if you'd ask rather than making uninformed presumptions

Just before you wrote that, you quoted me asking a question. How do you go so quickly from quoting a question to saying: "if you'd ask"? Are you trying to feed the troll? (That's what I am, right?)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you want to believe in a fantasy and want him to be a monk...ok...abracadabra...POOF he's a monk.

As to what is meant by sanshou applications of wushu

Wushu is the real live Chinese word for Chinese martial arts, it is not Kung Fu. Kung Fu means hard work.

Sanshou is one of the many wushu styles therefore he would use sanshou applications and since sanshou is wushu it is sanshou applications of wushu, not Shaolinquan applications of wushu because they don't teach those anymore at Shaolin.

Latest Discussions