The Non Spinning back fist.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
In fact the only difference between Alternating Maces, and Attacking mace is the distance created by Forward Bow, The greater distance makes a back knuckle slower than a kick.
What do you mean by mace? Im not sure what you mean by mace.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So does anyone have luck using the back fist, as power shot?
No. It is too slow. Almost two separate movements needed when on the other side is just waiting with hands up or head movement or counter or...

But great for set up. I also use vertical back fist (upwards and downwards). As alternatives to the jab. Better with footwork and without overuse it, since we expose a lot of our body (not as safe as a jab).

Backfist upwards seems invisible for the opponent. Often, they just take the first one on the chin without any sort of reaction! But no power the way I use it. It is set up for low kicks or hook.

As a power shoot, maybe only after a fake spinning back fist (which works as a setup, hiding half of the movement and putting the opponent's defence on the other side). I have seen that, but not used lately.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. It is too slow. Almost two separate movements needed when on the other side is just waiting with hands up or head movement or counter or...

But great for set up. I also use vertical back fist (upwards and downwards). As alternatives to the jab. Better with footwork and without overuse it, since we expose a lot of our body (not as safe as a jab).

Backfist upwards seems invisible for the opponent. Often, they just take the first one on the chin without any sort of reaction! But no power the way I use it. It is set up for low kicks or hook.

As a power shoot, maybe only after a fake spinning back fist (which works as a setup, hiding half of the movement and putting the opponent's defence on the other side). I have seen that, but not used lately.
It is also an unwind of a thrusting elbow, usually don as a chop to the back of the neck.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Something implies to me that a tricep movement won't generate as much impact pressure as a deltoid-pec-tricep-oblique momentum movement. The closest thing I use to it is when I double jab.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont like it and think the thing is silly. But if you put enough wind up in it you can knock people out.

Generally off some sort of monster hook or overhand and then come back with the back fist.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can use the backfist as power shot. I do it all the time. I'll put it this way. I can probably break facial bone and collar bones with a backfist. Like dirty dog stated. It's a body mechanics thing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can use the backfist as power shot. I do it all the time. I'll put it this way. I can probably break facial bone and collar bones with a backfist. Like dirty dog stated. It's a body mechanics thing.
While it would be nice to get some real damage done with jabbing Back-Knuckle, jabs are meant to give pause.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a power shot like a hook punch but it sucks to get hit with especially if you can connect to the ear.
Personally, I prefer it right over the opponent's eye, on the brow ridge, or at the bridge of the nose if I cana ctually atch it while they are defending. Eyes tear up. Hard to fight effectively when you are used to being ble to use sight and now you can't.

I used to use a backfist from the lead-hand position which would fire straight out from the hands-up guard position. The fist travels in a straight line, well the two striking knuckles do anyway, which the shoulder rotates and elbow extends, and wrist snaps as with Bill's description above. I used it as I'd use a prototypical boxing jab, though the mechanics work a bit differently. For me, the bf was faster, thought he jab was a bit more powerful. Neither one was really a power-strike.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a couple of different Jow Ga back fists. that are normally trained.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it's more like a slap fight, isn't it? Just with the back of the hand instead of the palm. Holy telegraph, Batman!

:)
It's not telegraphed in application. Here's a vertical back fist fist that I had to pull during free sparing, because he didn't see it coming, which is why his hands are still in the guard position. I ended up knocking his head gear off in the process and it landed about 4 feet behind him.. You can't tell by the picture but this was my slow backfist that he didn't see coming.
Pow Choy.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't see much use in it, as I personally have trouble generating power with it.
Since it's easy for your opponent to block your back fist, it can be used to set up many thing such as:

- Right back fist to your opponent's face.
- Your opponent uses right arm to block it.
- Change your back fist into a grab on the wrist.
- Use left hand to grab on his elbow joint.
- Pull his arm toward you.
- Release right wrist grip hand and punch on his face.

The back fist can help you to obtain an arm control. It can be a bridge between the striking art and the grappling art.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not telegraphed in application. Here's a vertical back fist fist that I had to pull during free sparing, because he didn't see it coming, which is why his hands are still in the guard position. I ended up knocking his head gear off in the process and it landed about 4 feet behind him.. You can't tell by the picture but this was my slow backfist that he didn't see coming.

Cool photo!

Where I'm from, that move is called the "Pimp Hand." Just sayin. ;)

71d02170ebb137c4cb362999d01843907c6dba6d830fe5af314188bb05316d8b.jpg