The Nobel Peace Prize doesnt always go to the most deserving.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Irena Sendler

There recently was a death of a 98 year-old lady named Irena.
During WWII, Irena got permission to work in the Warsaw Ghetto, as a Nurse.
She had an 'ulterior motive'... She KNEW what the Nazi's plans were for the Jews, (being G...erman.)
Irena smuggled infants out in the bottom of the tool box she carried in the back of her truck.
She also had a dog in the back that she trained to bark when the Nazi soldiers let her in and out of the ghetto.
The soldiers of course wanted nothing to do with the dog and the barking covered the kids/infants noises.
During her time doing this, she managed to smuggle out and save 2500 kids/infants.
She was caught, and the Nazi's broke both her legs, arms and beat her severely.
Irena kept a record of the names of all the kids she smuggled out and kept them in a glass jar buried under a tree in her back yard.
After the war, she tried to locate any parents that may have survived it and reunited the family.
Most had been gassed. Those kids she helped got placed into foster family homes or adopted.

Last year Irena was up for the Nobel Peace Prize ... She was not selected.

Al Gore won, for a slide show on Global Warming.

She died, whilst being nursed by one of the children she saved from the gas chamber.

In MEMORIAM - 63 YEARS LATER

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But at least she did not go unremembered, for at least two people unconnected with the events (you and me) knew of her and her courage.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Requiescat in pace to Mrs. Sandler. Certainy a deserving person if there ever was one.

(On the other hand, I am still unsure what global warming awareness has to do with peace.)

Pax,

Chris

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Requiescat in pace to Mrs. Sandler. Certainy a deserving person if there ever was one.

(On the other hand, I am still unsure what global warming awareness has to do with peace.)

Pax,

Chris

Hungry people are restless...

But I agree, not always the most deserving nominee wins. (I mean, who in the he** thought Obama was a worthy candidate?! I generally don't dislike the guy, but sheesh, he just got elected, the Bible barely cooled doen from the oath...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
She didnt get the prize4, but obviouslty she made an impact if you are all aware of her. I'm sure that the people at the Nobel awards have their criteria that has to be met and I'm guessing some sort of voteing. He not being picked by Nobel does not make her or her actions less noble (pun intended), nore does it make any winner more noble as it were. They have their criteria, they picked, it's their award to give who they wish.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looking at the list of winners and nominees for the peace prize, can be very enlightening.

I don't think for instance that anybody would protest Mother Theresa getting the prize, or Martin Luther King Jr. OTOH, Gandhi was nominated four times and never won, while Jimmy Carter was nominated once and won. The mentality of this committee is staggering.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't make her actions less noble, but the choices made by the peace committee makes them a lot less noble. For example, Yasser Arrafat, Al Gore and Barak Obama.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want to win an award shared by Yasser Freakin' Arafat, knock yourself out. For me, that would be an indication that I failed in life.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, good point there, Cory :nods:.

I hadn't known that Ghandi had been nominated so often - I am shocked that the most noteable example of peaceful (or at least non-violent) rebellion was turned away at the Nobel gate 4 times!

The only things he really did wrong was over accelerate the British exit from India and get assassinated before he manged to deal with the 'Pakistan problem' - that failure is what we are seeing bear fruit in this decade.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She didnt get the prize4, but obviouslty she made an impact if you are all aware of her. I'm sure that the people at the Nobel awards have their criteria that has to be met and I'm guessing some sort of voteing. He not being picked by Nobel does not make her or her actions less noble (pun intended), nore does it make any winner more noble as it were. They have their criteria, they picked, it's their award to give who they wish.

Probably like the Oscars, it's more about commerce than value...
(Of course I will reverse my opinion when Colin Firth wins for his new movie)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
(Of course I will reverse my opinion when Colin Firth wins for his new movie)

Oh gosh, I just reread what I wrote. I keep telling myself to stop posting from the smartphone.

But yeah, their prize, their choice. It is somewhat of a popularity contest too, lets keep that in mind.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Last year Irena was up for the Nobel Peace Prize ... She was not selected.

Pretty sure the nominations for the Nobel are kept secret.

Oh, yeah: here

Nominations
Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3000 individuals, usually in September the year before the prizes are awarded. These individuals are often academics working in a relevant area. For the Peace Prize, inquiries are sent to governments, members of international courts, professors and rectors, former Peace Prize laureates and current or former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. The deadline for the return of the nomination forms is 31 January of the year of the award.[66][67] The Nobel Committee nominates about 300 potential laureates from these forms and additional names.[68] The nominees are not publicly named, nor are they told that they are being considered for the prize. All nomination records for a prize are sealed for 50 years from the awarding of the prize.[69][70]]

Since Poland's President made a public pronouncement to the effect that she "certainly deserved the Nobel Prize," and nominations for the Peace Prize do come from governments, etc., it would seem that she may well have been nominated, but no one really knows.......don't know what global warming awareness has to do with it, either, though...:lfao:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From Wiki:
In 2007, considerable publicityaccompanied Sendler's nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. While failed nominations for the award have not been officially announced by the Nobel organization for 50 years, the International Peace Research Institute, Oslo, reported in 2007 that Irena Sendler's nominator had made the nomination public.

Regardless of its legitimacy, talk of the nomination focused a spotlight on Sendler and her wartime achievements. The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and former Vice Presient of the United States, Al Gore.

She was however recognised for her heroism, even if not by the Nobel Committee.

In 1965, Sendler was recognized by Yad Vashem as one of the Righteous among the Nations. She also was awarded the Commander's Cross by the Israeli Institute. Only in that year did the Polish communist government allow her to travel abroad, to receive the award in Israel.

In 2003, Pope John Paul II sent Sendler a personal letter praising her wartime efforts. On 10 October 2003 she received the Order of the White Eagle, Poland's highest civilian decoration, and the Jan Karski Award "For Courage and Heart," given by the American Center of Polish Culture in Washington D.C.

On 14 March 2007, Sendler was honored by Poland's Senate. At age 97, she was unable to leave her nursing home to receive the honor, but she sent a statement through Elżbieta Ficowska, whom Sendler had saved as an infant. Polish President Lech Kaczynski stated she "can justly be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize" (though nominations are supposed to be kept secret). On 11 April 2007, she received the Order of the Smile as the oldest recipient of the award.

In May 2009, Irena Sendler was posthumously granted the Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award. The award, named in honor of the late actress and UNICEF ambassador, is presented to persons and organizations recognised for helping children. In its citation, the Audrey Hepburn Foundation recalled Irena Sendler's heroic efforts that saved two thousand five hundred Jewish children during the German occupation of Poland in World War II.

Sendler was the last survivor of the Children's Section of the Zegota Council to Assist Jews, which she had headed from January 1943 until the end of the war.

A very brave lady indeed. :asian:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Very well could be. Corporations selling us green and banks involved in trading credits are set to make a fecal-tonne of SDRs now that the science is in on global cool...global warm...climate ch.... I mean biodiversité.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

i dont know either, man.

Hungry people are restless...

But I agree, not always the most deserving nominee wins. (I mean, who in the he** thought Obama was a worthy candidate?! I generally don't dislike the guy, but sheesh, he just got elected, the Bible barely cooled doen from the oath...)

when I first heard that my reaction was, What'd he do?

If you want to win an award shared by Yasser Freakin' Arafat, knock yourself out. For me, that would be an indication that I failed in life.

Exactly.

Latest Discussions