the last samurai

S

Shinzu

anyone see this movie? i thought it was fantastic. tom cruise did an amazing job. the plot was deep and well devised. 2 thumbs up for this one! a must see for martial artists!!

your thoughts?

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic movie, i really enjoyed all the sword work. Not to mention Tom Cruise - aahhhh! He really got into the whole spirit of the warrior.

Donna :asian:

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate the movie was, or how close it portrayed the samauri, but it was very entertaining.

OP
S

Shinzu

i really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. i was happily surprised. you can tell they did a lot of hard work on the film. it's about time they made a quality martial arts film.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Enjoyed the movie, good scenery and good action. The plot seemed to remind me an awful lot of Last of the Dogmen, though.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whoever trained Cruise to handle a sword did a good job. they couldn't have had THAT much time to do it, so they must be a skilled teacher. I especially like the part where he tries to spar the brother in law of the guy he killed, and he gets whacked in the face right away.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ender said:
I don't know how accurate the movie was, or how close it portrayed the samauri, but it was very entertaining.
I talked to a kenpo instructor/friend of mine who is into the Samurai history and sword arts. He said that it was pretty accurate as far as customs and traditions, only a couple of mistakes.

I loved the movie too. The one thing that annoys me is that someone on TV insulted the movie saying that Tom Cruise was the last samurai and that that was stupid. I just wish I coulda walked on the screen and kicked that guy upside his head, then tell America that the actual samurai character was the "last samurai" and that Cruise was just the star and the one whom the story followed. Actually the samurai character was just the last samurai to live and die by the sword. There were still other samurais. And I think he actually could have been classified as a ronin since he was rebelling against his lord.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone give me info on the gory vs. action parts of the movie. I mean, do heads fly off, does blood fly across the room etc.

I want to rent, but need to decide if my 11 year old martial artist son should watch.

Thanks

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that the actual samurai character was the "last samurai" and that Cruise was just the star and the one whom the story followed. - Han-Mi

yes, just as daniel day-lewis was not the "last of the mohicans", but the white guy who learned to live as one.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
Can anyone give me info on the gory vs. action parts of the movie. I mean, do heads fly off, does blood fly across the room etc.

I want to rent, but need to decide if my 11 year old martial artist son should watch.

Thanks
Well, It gets pretty violent. Lots of cutting, slashing, stabbing, some blood, etc. But it's not totally oveer the top. You know, I think its a good story, and I don't think its too violent for an 11 year old. He's probably seen worse in video games.

PETE! Last of the Mohicans rocked! That's one of my very favorite movies.

OP
W

white mantis

I enjoyed every minute of it. Two thumbs up over here! :samurai:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also enjoyed it. I didn't expect anything like what i saw. Hell I dont like Tom Cruise and i liked the show.
I thought the costums where beautiful (when fully arrmored) and thought that the portrail of the life in a village that was training for war may have been somewhat accurate.(I don't know for sure I'm not that old .....really)

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, It gets pretty violent. Lots of cutting, slashing, stabbing, some blood, etc. But it's not totally oveer the top. You know, I think its a good story, and I don't think its too violent for an 11 year old.
Okay, let's see, compared to......oh Lord of the Rings triliogy...worse or the same... Thanks for any help.

He's probably seen worse in video games.
Nope, Dad's a big pain in the a$$!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not excessively bloody...but it is violent.
I wouldn't say it was any bloodier than Gladiator, maybe a bit less.
People do get cut, shot, stabbed and there is blood...but not like in Kill Bill. (Gods....)

You do see at least 1 decapitation. Some of the concepts may be a bit too much for a youngster. What I've usually done is prescreened the films in question before taking my nephew to see them.

:asian:

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You can find Parental Movie Reviews at
http://www.screenit.com

It details all the violence, cussing, sex, and drug use in ALMOST every movie out their in the past ten years or so.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:

Thanks
It has some pretty violent scenes but not as graphic as say "Braveheart" My nine year old non martial artist daughter saw it with me and was fine with it...I say watch it with him and talk about it afterwards....enjoy and let us know how it goes :asian:

Latest Discussions