The Last Samurai

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
The didn't explain the source of the hostility of the soldiers towards the young samurai whose top knot they cut off...the peasantry wasn't treated very well by the samurai. What goes around, comes around.

The Samurai class was pretty much despised throughout Japan. It did not take much for the peasents to rise up against them. The Tokugawa were notoriously horrible to the proletariat. It would have made for a deeper movie to include all of the background instead of glorifying "the golden light of Bushido".

Otherwise, I thought it was a good movie. It made me go home and pick up my sword. I loved the scene where Algren defends himself against four swordsman.

I will buy the DVD despite my historical objections.

C

CloudChaser

i saw the movie twice and enjoyed it just as much the second time around!

perhaps the samurai were glorified a bit <not unlike the chivalric knights of medieval europe>, but epic hollywood movies excel at that sort of thing... and how corrupt was this warrior class really? i'm guessing 'honor' only applied among the aristocratic ranks then if the peasants hated them so much...

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been wanting to see The Last Samurai for over a month and I finally got to see it with my dad yesterday. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad I got to see it in the theater. :)

Robyn :samurai:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finally saw the movie tonite....

I could spend a long time nitpicking on the historical or cultural hiccups, the comparisons to other films, etc....but I won't.

The historical reality of that age may be lost in the Hollywood gloss, but, for me, it opened my eyes to something. Maybe it was the more 'romantic' aspect of the Samurai (much as the truth of the European Crusaders who rapes and pillaged as they went is lost in the Chivilry of the Knights), but for me, it was a chance to 'see' something that is too infrequent in todays warp speed lifestyle.

It was just a movie..but, it touched me.

It'll definately be on my much watched list.

So....whens the DVD due out? :D

S

ShaolinWolf

So, Kaith, is it still out or did you d/l it?...LOL...anyways, yeah, I can't wait for the DVD...

LOTR:ROTK comes out on DVD March 25th!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL
Its currently at a budget theater here. I did snag Pirates of the Carabean in vcd format, and got the DVD for Christmas. (Have seen POC over 100 times...I would expect TLS to have a similar viewing tally. :) )

Its due out May 4th, so I'll hold off for now. But I'm definately looking forward considering the extras on this one! :)

DVD Info:
DVD Release Date: May 4, 2004
DVD Features:
Disc One
Theatrical Film With Commentary by director Edward Zwick
Disc Two
Tom Cruise: A Warrior's Journey
Edward Zwick: Director's Video Journal
Making an Epic: A Conversation with Edward Zwick and Tom Cruise
History vs. Hollywood: The Last Samurai {History Channel Documentary
A World of Detail: Production Design with Lilly Kilvert
Silk and Armor: Costume Design with Ngila Dickson
Imperial Army Basic Training
From Soldier to Samurai: The Weapons
Deleted Scenes
Japan Premieres {Tokyo & Kyoto red carpet)
Theatrical Trailer
Widescreen anamorphic format
Number of discs: 2

S

ShaolinWolf

YIPEEE!!! WHOO-HOO!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...I can't wait. Yay!...Nice!...Can I express how much more happy I am?! LOL

AWESOME!!!

S

ShaolinWolf

So, anybody happy about this coming out on DVD, or am I and Kaith the only people who even cared about it? Man, that sucks for Warner Bros.' pockets. I feel bad for them. Only two people want to even remotely buy the DVD. Let alone already have the specs on the DVDs. I mean, come on, the movie is coming to DVD in such a short time and the movie is nothing short of amazing...ok, there were all those F's at Yahoo's viewer criticism, but did you see all those F's for the Lord of the Rings movies...and they still outdid those F's with an A+ or A-...SHOUT FOR JOY!!!!!!

LOL....

S

ShaolinWolf

Oh yeah, and I'm getting it for $15 at Walmart the day it comes out...heheheheh....yeah, that's cheap thinking, but hey, My mind is already there...

M

marshallbd

ShaolinWolf said:
So, anybody happy about this coming out on DVD, or am I and Kaith the only people who even cared about it? Man, that sucks for Warner Bros.' pockets. I feel bad for them. Only two people want to even remotely buy the DVD. Let alone already have the specs on the DVDs. I mean, come on, the movie is coming to DVD in such a short time and the movie is nothing short of amazing...ok, there were all those F's at Yahoo's viewer criticism, but did you see all those F's for the Lord of the Rings movies...and they still outdid those F's with an A+ or A-...SHOUT FOR JOY!!!!!!

LOL....
No, You two are not the only ones that are anxiously awaiting this DVD to come out. I have been to see this movie 4 times and thats unheard of for me. I will purchase it the day it comes out!!!! So that makes 3 of us!!!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our buying power will make them add another disk of goodies. :D

:rofl:

M

marshallbd

ShaolinWolf said:
Actually, now it makes five including Sieg and Tess...LOL
I'm sure there is a huge silent majority out there that will snap it up as it hits the shelves..... But I am glad to know that this film I'm not the only one that thought this film was a must have! :asian:

S

ShaolinWolf

Kaith Rustaz said:
Our buying power will make them add another disk of goodies. :D

:rofl:
HEHEHEHEH...YIPEEEE!!!!...Let's hope they go onto MT and see our happiness...LOL:fanboy:

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I Loved this movie and look forward to adding it to my DVD collection.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Latest Discussions