The Last Samurai

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a bit skeptical. Tom Cruise. Hollywood and Japan. The whole, "what actually happened in history" thing. If you like swords though, this could be a good movie. Epic battle scenes and swords. Swords and more swords. I wonder who they got to do all of the training?

P

pknox

Take a look at this month's Black Belt -- Cruise's co-star is on the cover. I didn't read the article, but I wouldn't be surprised if they talk about the training.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw Tom Cruise interviewed for this movie and it looks good- I want to see it. I didn't catch who actually trained him for his parts, but it sounded like he did practice quite a lot to be able to pull off all of his own action scenes.

:asian: :karate:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife an I went to the movie theater not knowing what we were going to see and they were showing an "early release' Thanksgiving weekend special release of this movie. I think its suppose to be out Dec 5. Without giving anything away, its definately a worthwhile movie to see for both Martial Artists and the General public. Some of the plot is kind of like "Dances with Wolves" but with Samurai instead of indians, but it was well done.

I saw a discovery show last night "Xtreme Martial Arts" sponsored by the Last Samurai and Cruise said he spent 8 months in training, during which time his legs got much thicker due to stance work and his old shirts wouldn't fit anymore due to his forarms growing from using the sword.

G

gman

The movie is excellent and I will definately see it again. As for the history, don't believe the what you see at the theatre.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great Movie must see. The history Channel had a special on the Samurai tonight very good also. The story told in the movie is very close, believe some of the names are changed, but close to what happened.

K

kkbb

2 thumbs up! way up!
Beautiful scenery, costumes, choreography... absolutly awesome
had me on the edge of my seat..

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If so many recomend it I think I will see it. I kind of don't like the trend that the movies are going in though. first the cast of the matrix studies MA just to make that movie. Soon after its a flood of moives like that.

M

MisterMike

Well, I saw it and I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

The coreography was OK. The large battle scenes were reminiscent of Braveheart and The Patriot, so nothing new there.

It was just kind of blah. Too drawn out. It didn't capture enough of the arts. The scenery was good and the village life was portrayed as well as I'd expect it, not having actually been there myself.

I'd say go see it, but I'm not going twice. I can wait until it's out for rent, but even then.....

P

pknox

Originally posted by MisterMike
The coreography was OK. The large battle scenes were reminiscent of Braveheart and The Patriot, so nothing new there.

That's not so bad...I did like both of those movies, and the battle scenes were part of the reason. Granted, they were more "groundbreaking" a few years back when those movies did them, but you could do worse. Hopefully the character development is good; if Cruise's character is developed half as well as Gibson's William Wallace, then great.

M

marshallbd

I saw it on the day it opened and all I can say is that it will be joining my colection of movies for my home entertainment as soon as it gets released! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

C

clapping_tiger

Just wanted to chime in and say I just saw it today. I loved the movie. I could not find anything I disliked about it. It kept my interest the whole time, and even got my palms a little bit sweaty during the ninja attack. This one will be in my DVD collection for sure. I would go see it again but the Return of the King comes out on Wed. and I just bought my advanced ticket.

:samurai:

R

Rainman

Originally posted by clapping_tiger
Just wanted to chime in and say I just saw it today. I loved the movie. I could not find anything I disliked about it. It kept my interest the whole time, and even got my palms a little bit sweaty during the ninja attack. This one will be in my DVD collection for sure. I would go see it again but the Return of the King comes out on Wed. and I just bought my advanced ticket.

:samurai:

You should have really appreciated the scene between cruise and the samurai when they faught to a draw. Cruise may not have experienced mushin during swordplay but he definitely hit the zone acting the scene out. Maybe just a little too much emotion, and the facial expressions just a little more pronounced than one might see- but I was basically astonished at how real elements in that scene were. I was thinking "oh my god are those guys unconscious?" Whoever was responsible for the choreographs for those 3 fight sequences knew their business. 3 movements with the 3rd being the kill is a well known theme- and it was used for the first 2 go rounds.

A

albert

Overrated. Some of the battle scenes, esp. the ninja one felt like a video game. It was also quite a reductionist movie, basically positing that everything about bushido is good. Stop wanking yourself to Japanese culture.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by albert
Overrated. Some of the battle scenes, esp. the ninja one felt like a video game. It was also quite a reductionist movie, basically positing that everything about bushido is good. Stop wanking yourself to Japanese culture.

Movies are designed to tap into your emotions and give you feelings for the charactors, it's how the writers and cast get you involved in the movie. Reductionist? Movies reductionist? Naawww couldn't be. Gee whiz batman, I don't remeber anyone saying they were giving up everything to begin a career in Japanese Anthropology because hollywood gives accurate discriptions of events that never happened.

Latest Discussions