The History Channel - Jujutsu/Judo Sneak Peak!

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You mean aside from wrestling?

Yes, aside from wrestling, which was more of a form of physical training for them than combat, going to the ground is incredably dumb in a battle, it's bad enough at a Slayer show.

They had unarmed combat techniques, plenty of refrences to them, but it would be cool to actualy see it.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed the Judo/Jujutsu episode particularly seeing the training at the Jujutsu school in the mountains.

One thing that bothered me was the perpetuation of the myth that Gracie/Brazillian Jujitsu stems directly from Koryu Jujutsu rather than from Judo Ne Waza. The comments of the MMA fighting host gave forth that impression.

_Don Flatt

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well they did not distinguish between Kryo Jujutsu and the forms that rose in the Meiji era. But how much can you expect in 1 hour?

All and all the show was very good.

Maeda was a Jujutsuka as well as a Judoka, Kano was not his sole teacher and he felt that what he was teaching the Gracies was more Jujutsu in spiret than Judo. Something about how we did not feel Kano wpould have approved of his challenge matches against Boxers and Wrestlers in the west, so out of respect to Kano, he told the Gracie's they were doing JuJutsu.

I thought it was cool to see Chambers do a little Rubber guard in 1 clip. I love using it myself when I have to guard, it holds people close to do bad things to them.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maeda was a Jujutsuka as well as a Judoka, Kano was not his sole teacher and he felt that what he was teaching the Gracies was more Jujutsu in spiret than Judo. Something about how we did not feel Kano wpould have approved of his challenge matches against Boxers and Wrestlers in the west, so out of respect to Kano, he told the Gracie's they were doing JuJutsu.

Very interesting. I knew Maeda was a Judoka and I percieved BJJ to be more like Judo Ne Waza than Koryu Jujutsu. The emphasis on Randori is also a more Judo type approach.

I guess the part that bothered me is from what was said the uninformed could get the impression that Judo came from BJJ because BJJ = Jujutsu.

_Don Flatt

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There were a few statements I didn't agree with but, all in all, I enjoyed it.

I thought that the Judo champion definitely took it easy on the gaijin and I would have preferred to see the wrestler/football player take a shot at the Champ. I doubt he would have done much better but I'm curious as to how wrestling would have done against Judo.

One thing that did annoy me is that while the champion was introduced as Mister So & So, the hosts referred to him as Master So & So. In 31 years of training in Judo and Jujutsu, I've never heard anyone who's opinion I valued call a Judoka or Jujutsuka instructor Master, GrandMaster, Oh Great & Powerful Oz, etc... Seems every sensei I've had was happy with the title sensei. I think it's a western thing to want to pile the honorifics on.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, aside from wrestling, which was more of a form of physical training for them than combat, going to the ground is incredably dumb in a battle, it's bad enough at a Slayer show.

They had unarmed combat techniques, plenty of refrences to them, but it would be cool to actualy see it.

The next one is on Pankration, that's probably the closest we'd get for what you're probably looking at. It is considered if not the, one of the oldest martial arts on record.

I thought it was funny how Bill Duff's hakama was too short for him and it showed his gi pants peaking out. Yeah, both my roommate and I were looking at how much tape Jason was putting on. That's a lot of freakin' tape. I noticed he put a bunch on his ankle and I thought okay, ankle injury, but he kept piling it on. Then he started with his fingers and it just looked silly. I think this fight was a lot more interesting than the other ones because we got to see the hosts get completely dominated even though with discussions with Judoka, tells me that he still looked like he was holding back. I thought it was interesting how Jason went for a "Sacrifice Throw" even though his opponent wasn't pushing him back. He just finished describing that, that was an important aspect and the reason why a "Sacrifice Throw" would work. He also went for a bunch of armbars.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think he was going for the ill attempted sacrifice throw to do that old stand by of BJJ, pulling guard.

I think he was hopeing to get him drawn into more newaza, where Chambers might be of a more equal footing with the Judoka.

KRJJ_admin

White Belt
Reaction score
I've seen all the episodes from 1 - 9 so far and I have to say take everything with a grain of salt. Although the commentators are annoying at times, looking past that the Muay Thai, Krav Magra, Karate, Judo, et al were really interesting. I even picked up on some pointers with combinations even in that MMA episode.

Latest Discussions