The History Channel - Jujutsu/Judo Sneak Peak!

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It looks promising but I hope the combination of bokken, hakama and judo was just because of editing.

On a side note, JUDO: SAMURAI LEGACY was surprising similar to the title of my book, JUJUTSU: LEGACY OF THE SAMURAI. Apparently, great minds think alike.:)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It'll prove to be very interesting... the entire series.

When you think about it, those two will have actual hands on experience with all the arts and they'll be better informed than the average beginner wondering which art to study. What a great job huh? I'm just green.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got this series set to record on my DVR, but I haven't had a chance to watch any episodes yet, I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

TjThunder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw the muay thai one and thought it was good, so I have high hopes for the judo episode as well!!

Jose Garrido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
FYI The one that is supposed to be JUDO is actually Takeuchi (Takenouchi) -ryu Jujutsu. Which also has wepons work.

Jose Garrido

Jose Garrido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought that he only studied Kito-ryu and Tenshin Shin'Yo-ryu. Thanks for the info.

Jose Garrido :)

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...don't quote me as to what extent though. ;)

He networked with a lot of different ryu, even Shinto Muso-ryu jo.

I think he was one of the biggest influences on bringing the martial arts into the forefront, post-war that is.

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a new student of Jujutsu (Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei) I'm looking forward to the Jujutsu episode. The one's I've seen so far - Muy Thai, Escrima/Kali and Karate have been fascinating in the exposure to the history and culture of the arts. Kali in particular looked brutal!

I missed the Savate episode. Was it good?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that the savate episode was good but then I have had only limited exposure to savate so my opinion was not to biased. Having said that the rest were just so so and yet I am hoping the Judo/Juijitsu one is good.
icon6.gif

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed all the episodes that I have seen so far. The ones I haven't seen were the Muay Thai, and the first half of the Eskrima episodes. One thing that everyone seems to agree on is the final fight at the end of each episode always seems to be pretty weak. Learning about the history and the techniques and training the martial artists go through is definitely the better parts of the show. I look forward to the Judo episode, actually I look forward to all of the episodes.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought that the savate episode was good but then I have had only limited exposure to savate so my opinion was not to biased.

The trend of reactions to this series seems to be thus: If you have practiced the art they are documenting, it's only so-so. If you haven't, it's pretty cool and informative. Like Big Brian over here, I knew very little about savate, so that was a pretty cool episode.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I'm afraid atfer seeing the hosts' behavior in the first two episodes and hearing even worse of the Karate episode that the hosts have poisoned me against the series and i won't be watching any more of it at all, period. But to those of you loking forward to it, enjoy.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The big host can be a bit of a tool and I suspect some of their commentary is written for them, wich makes them say some real stupid things.

All in all I like the show and I like how they attempt to go into each arts History and realated arts.

I like the Savate one because i have always had an interest on combative Savate (could care less about the sport) and it highlights how many nations and coultures have fighting arts, not jus the Asians.

To bad they cant use a time maching and see Roman and Greek martial arts.=)

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
The big host can be a bit of a tool and I suspect some of their commentary is written for them, wich makes them say some real stupid things.

All in all I like the show and I like how they attempt to go into each arts History and realated arts.

I like the Savate one because i have always had an interest on combative Savate (could care less about the sport) and it highlights how many nations and coultures have fighting arts, not jus the Asians.

To bad they cant use a time maching and see Roman and Greek martial arts.=)

You mean aside from wrestling?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The sneak peak I seen look more like aikido. Judo doesn't wear hakama's or at least in Kano's book on Judo it is not mentioned as the offical uniform of Judo. Kano did study Kito Ryu and Tenshin Ryu Jujutsu.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought Judo was just about throwing someone and that was it. This episode taught me a lot.....

AND HOW MUCH TAPE DO THEY NEED TO PUT ON?!?!?!

I have never seen 2 guys put on so much tape.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Judo was just about throwing someone and that was it. This episode taught me a lot.....

AND HOW MUCH TAPE DO THEY NEED TO PUT ON?!?!?!

I have never seen 2 guys put on so much tape.

He put on a little to much tape on his fingers.
icon6.gif
Of course it really would not have mattered as his game is not Judo and the other guy was pretty good.
icon12.gif

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He put on a little to much tape on his fingers.
icon6.gif
Of course it really would not have mattered as his game is not Judo and the other guy was pretty good.
icon12.gif

Very true..the guy was great.

Best part was when the guy said "He has a good ground skills but he needs to work on his stand up." I fell out laughing.