The hand stuff...

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I learned several of these techniques. You won't always find them in Japanese styles but you will find them in almost 100% of Okinawa styles. I learned them from 2 people one was a student of one of mitoses 1st generation students and the other was a villari guy who was a high level Dan ranking. The mitose guy had more of these techniques and more variations. They are not really secret techniques but they are hidden in plain sight. I learned more of these type of techniques from the mitose guy. Which makes sense because James learned these when he was a kid from Okinawa styles I think. The options are endless for you If I remember correctly you are a issin ryu guy and alot of the masters from Okinawa have knowledge on these type of things. Some of the strikes and blocks have multiple applications like pulling someone into your punch. The techniques I learned were almost all grappling or grab techniques and 1 striking block, a block for a knee from the clinch the same technique as the X block in the video. Alot of them were set ups for tripping someone or escaping holds. You can find this stuff alot in kosho ryu kempo and it's related arts such as mitoses kempo jiu jitsu and yoshitsune combat ju jitsu. I've also heard they train some of these in goju ryu. Hope this helped I'm a bit out of my element as me not being a karate guy but just wanted to share I've seen stuff like this before.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We begin teaching a blocking technique that addresses the most common way someone would attack with a blunt weapon.
If you post a video like that, I will ask you "Even if I can deal with your initial attack, how do I know that your attack is not a fake attack and just try to set me up?"

The way I look at this is, if you attack me, I can jump back and not dealing with your attack (because I don't want to fall into your trap). After you have attacked me 3 times, I will attack you back.

In other words, the fight will start after I attack you back and not when you attack me the first time.

This is why I prefer to spend more time to train how to attack you than to train how to counter your attack (your attack can be a fake attack and try to set me up).

I do understand that I don't belong to the mainstream, and I don't expect the major people to agree with me on this. It's just how I believe - It's better for me to control the fight (I set my opponent up) than to let my opponent to control the fight (my opponent sets me up).

Last edited:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you post a video like that, I will ask you "Even if I can deal with your initial attack, how do I know that your attack is not a fake attack and just try to set me up?"

The way I look at this is, if you attack me, I can jump back and not dealing with your attack (because I don't want to fall into your trap). After you have attacked me 3 times, I will attack you back.

In other words, the fight will start after I attack you back and not when you attack me the first time.

This is why I prefer to spend more time to train how to attack you than to train how to counter your attack (your attack can be a fake attack and try to set me up).

I do understand that I don't belong to the mainstream, and I don't expect the major people to agree with me on this. It's just how I believe - It's better for me to control the fight than to let my opponent to control the fight.
I actually agree with that and it's very similar to my philosophy. You might be going up against a better fighter but never give him the chance to prove it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually agree with that and it's very similar to my philosophy. You might be going up against a better fighter but never give him the chance to prove it.
If your opponent is a good

- boxer, you don't want to deal with his punch. You want him to deal with your kick or take down.
- wrestler, you don't want to deal with his takedown. You want him to deal with your punch.

In other words, it's better to fight in the area that you are more familiar with than to fight in the area that your opponent is more familiar with.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

This is why I prefer to spend more time to train how to attack you than to train how to counter your attack
Interesting.... that this is very similar to what the guy in the video was showing. Many people learn the starting position of the kata as a formality and the moves of the kata as: block first, then attack, then block next attack, then attack again...

What he was showing was that the initial starting position was an attack. He was showing that the moves people think of as blocks, are actually attacks. His whole point is that the kata are not showing: a formality, followed by a defense and then offense pattern. The kata are showing techniques to attack the other guy... and how one sets up the next, and or effects the next attack. (attack the forearm here, opens the neck for the attack there...)

The reason he has to go so slow, showing only one or two steps.... is because many people are so ingrained in the formality, defend, counter, defend, counter... pattern. What he is showing is that the kata are attack, attack, attack.... with one attack setting up the next.

Latest Discussions