Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Great Ethanol Scam on Monday May 25, @07:50PM

Posted by kdawson on Monday May 25, @07:50PM
from the don't-even-think-about-switch-grass dept.
theodp writes "Over at BusinessWeek, Ed Wallace is creating quite a stir, reporting that not only is ethanol proving to be a dud as a fuel substitute, but there is increasing evidence that it is destroying engines in large numbers. Before lobbyists convince the government to increase the allowable amount of ethanol in fuel to 15%, Wallace suggests it's time to look at ethanol's effect on smog, fuel efficiency, global warming emissions, and food prices. Wallace concedes there will be some winners if the government moves the ethanol mandate to 15% — auto mechanics, for whom he says it will be the dawn of a new golden age."
Read More...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MTBE isn't any better...
MTBE is almost exclusively used as a fuel component in motor gasoline. It is one of a group of chemicals commonly known as oxygenates because they raise the oxygen content of gasoline.

As anti-knocking agent

In the US it has been used in gasoline at low levels since 1979 to replace tetra-ethyl lead to increase its octane rating and help prevent engine knocking. Oxygen helps gasoline burn more completely, reducing tailpipe emissions from pre-1984 motor vehicles. In more modern vehicles, the emissions reduction is negligible[citation needed]. In one respect, the oxygen dilutes or displaces gasoline components such as aromatics (e.g., benzene) and sulfur. In another, oxygen optimizes the oxidation during combustion. Most refiners have chosen to use MTBE over other oxygenates primarily for its blending characteristics and for economic reasons. It is produced from natural gas, which is less expensive than oil.
Since 1992, MTBE has been used at higher concentrations in some gasoline to fulfill the oxygenate requirements set by the United States Congress in Clean Air Act amendments; however, since 1999, in California and other locations MTBE has begun to be phased out because of groundwater contamination (California Air Resources Board, 2004). Due to its higher solubility in water MTBE moves more quickly than other fuel components
T SHIRT

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob I don't know if it's a scam but you are right, ethanol does not make any engine components, especially seals, happy. The alcohol has a tendency to cause glazing of the metal, overheats high revving Al+3 blocks causing head gasket leaks and heads to warps. The list goes on. Smaller higher revving engines made of Al+3, shaved as thin as possible to reduce weight for higher fuel millage, burning hotter due to ethanol, no oil in the cylinder as for the ring to wipe against as the ethanol has burned it off, seals drying out and cracking. Yup, I'm glad I can fix my own vehicles, well minor stuff anyway.
lori

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you didn't know that ethanol burns hotter, and therefor will harm your engine, you're dumber then an 8 year old. I've now that since I was 8. Also, I've heard no significant complaints about feul effeicency, but I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure that ethanol has higher rates of some (not all, but some) of the various green house gases. Again, I'll look into it.

As food, this is a complete and total fallacy. The government gives farmers all kinds of money to either destroy, not grow, or give them a large amount of there food. The reason is, if all of the US's farmers were growing at capacity, with no tobacco, we'd be able to grow enough food to feed the planet a few times over. Clearly, this would destroy our economy (and is likely one of the causes of the various problems of the Great Depression). Want food and ethanol. Tell your Congressman that you want them ammend the regulations regarding that money. And another idea, while I'm at it, Corn Ethanol sucks. There is a wide array of plants that give off larger amounts of sugar that can be used in making Ethanol, Corn (while the life blood of my state and Iowa) is not that useful. There are various native grasses that can be used much better.

If I can, I'll find a source on the matter of Corn Ethanol vs more effeicent sources.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vehicles will need to be designed to burn ethanol. Current vehicles were engineered for gasoline...thinking we can pour other fuels into them with no problems seems silly.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vehicles will need to be designed to burn ethanol. Current vehicles were engineered for gasoline...thinking we can pour other fuels into them with no problems seems silly.

Quoted for truth

Latest Discussions