The Elusive Black belt/Sash - Whatever

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have only been a member on board for about 7 months. I tell you the 2 most common questions I see are this: 1) How Long will it take to get a black belt? and 2) Which is the best art, etc?

Well for response to 1. Schools in the same art vary as much as their are arts themselves. It is up to the head instructor and his "Slide Scale". if you will on how they determine your aptness in the art you have chosen. I would think 4-5 years of consistency is the right amount. But there again it depends on the student.

Response to 2. There is truly no best art, the question should be....What is it I want to learn? I mean I have seen so many variations of hapkido, judo, and tae kwon do (Or for better words, "What people call hapkido, judo, and tae kwon do).

The point is to start something, do it and do it passionately. The rest will take care of itself, be committed to what you do and it will fall into place.

Too many times I find people say, "Gee which should I do etc. or better yet I would like to go back to class but....."

If you don't start, you will not finish. If you don't participate, you will not finish.

So in a nutshell......pick something and just go do it. In all reality, a 1st dan just means you are a good student. You never ever quit learning.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed. It is the journey that counts, rather than the destination. A good student will choose a new destination (goal) when the first one is reached - a truly good student will choose a new destination before the old one is reached.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If with anything in life if it is too easy then what is the point, a BB is a journey to find the inner slf and to find the inner peace we all would like to have. So many times people say a BB is about fighting, in my world a BB is about not fighting but finding other means to solving the problem of day to day life.

Matt as always another great post.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't be too tough on those who ask the BB question!
I've been training for less than a year at the moment and have only come to relise in the past few months that the colour of the belt is not what is important it's the lessons you learn on the path.
It's a relisation that has only come after training and watching those going for their black belts......

So instead of becoming frustrated at the number of times this question is asked let's embrace those new to the world of martial arts and pass on the knowledge we have already gained (...and yes, in my case that won't take very long....:rofl:)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't be too tough on those who ask the BB question!
I've been training for less than a year at the moment and have only come to relise in the past few months that the colour of the belt is not what is important it's the lessons you learn on the path.
It's a relisation that has only come after training and watching those going for their black belts......

So instead of becoming frustrated at the number of times this question is asked let's embrace those new to the world of martial arts and pass on the knowledge we have already gained (...and yes, in my case that won't take very long....:rofl:)

You know, I never meant any harm or wanted to look like I was coming down on those in the gup ranks. Look at my own signature. Gee, I have been a blue belt in hapkido and tae kwon do now for almost a year now. I will test for purple in Jan. Geez, I guess I always knew that it was the journey and understanding than just some belt color.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To quote Mr. Incredible: "We'll get there when we GET THERE!"
Are you sure that wasn't my dad?
My sifu tells people the odds are against them. "The hardest part about getting to that Black Belt is showing up."

potterfan77

White Belt
Reaction score
I would definitely have to agree you on this. My Instructor taught me that there are no superior styles, just superior technicians. You can either learn the martial arts just to attain a black belt as seems to be the case with so many students these days or you can take what you learn and become great with it. I major in on style and cherry pick from others. If I see something I like from another style I will take that and make it work for me.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's certainly true that relative beginners or outsiders to the arts ask questions that get a little repetitive after you've been at it a for a few months or years. At the same time, it's very hard to answer those questions in words alone. I look at it this way -- I've been training about thirteen years. In that time I've probably spent weeks or months of my life standing in a horse stance. There is no earthly way that I can explain the value that has for me as a martial artist by telling someone about it. Now here's the kicker -- I cannot lay claim to having mastered the horse stance or having understood it completely.

Since the only other person who has the remotest idea of what I'm talking about is someone else who has spent weeks / months of her/his life standing in a horse stance, the newcomer / beginner and I are limited to discussing banalities like, Did you get your hands and feet registered at the police department? or Can you break a brick?

Latest Discussions